PDA

View Full Version : Unsteady ready [plus open green box]

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 19:29
Fed up. The Ready (RDY) light on my modem has flickering episodes. When it happens, I lose connectivity.

If I unplugged the modem and phoned NTL with a fault, would they know the modem was unplugged? I can't think of any other way of getting an engineer out :( The green box is open and I found the cover in the middle of the pavement a few nights back, so no doubt that'll have something to do with it.

paulyoung666
14-09-2004, 19:31
have you rung c.s. about this ??????????? , mind you there are plenty of ntl ppl on here who would be willing to get you sorted :tu:

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 19:37
have you rung c.s. about this ??????????? , mind you there are plenty of ntl ppl on here who would be willing to get you sorted :tu:
It wouldn't do any good. I've been here before. Takes ages to get through, and when you do, everything is fine and you're told to keep phoning back. If I have enough fault calls under my belt, they might send an engineer out. It's like a game :D Apparently the engineers won't come out unless it can be shown there's a fault, otherwise it's attributed to the user's PC. That's why I was asking about unplugging the modem.

Tezcatlipoca
14-09-2004, 21:04
Have you told ntl about the green box's damage / missing cover?

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 21:17
Have you told ntl about the green box's damage / missing cover?
I had the impression, from various threads on this forum, that NTL wouldn't be that interested :erm:

Tezcatlipoca
14-09-2004, 21:29
Maybe.

Another option re the green box.... post details of it here, & hopefully one of the ntl people at CF will see it & take action / pass the info on [I know that's been done before]

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 21:33
It's the little green sort - the ones with a lift-off cover as opposed to a cabinet with doors. It's literally right next to the house - on the wall of what is now a bin yard but used to be the toilet block. Shafton View - the end nearest Shafton Lane.

If I knew I could unplug the modem and phone up, I would. I don't want to be caught being economical with the truth :D There is a problem - not my fault NTL don't have the infrastructure to detect it.

Tezcatlipoca
14-09-2004, 21:36
Hmm. I would've thought that if the modem was unplugged, they wouldn't be able to tell, as to them it could simply also be offline / dead etc.

But that's just a guess.

Web-Junkie
14-09-2004, 21:37
Green box has a missing cover? Small potatoes mate, the schoolkids set them on fire where I live :eek: That makes NTL come out!

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 22:03
Green box has a missing cover? Small potatoes mate, the schoolkids set them on fire where I live :eek: That makes NTL come out!
It still has its cover - just its not locked. You've given me an idea though <goes off to find that large tin of IPA>

:p:

homealone
14-09-2004, 22:08
It still has its cover - just its not locked. You've given me an idea though <goes off to find that large tin of IPA>

:p:

lol - I'd recommend the India Pale Ale, rather than the Isopropanol, though :D

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 22:15
lol - I'd recommend the India Pale Ale, rather than the Isopropanol, though :D
:D

I didn't plan on drinking it :p:

O/T I ordered the tin from Maplins and it came through the post. A highly flammable industrial solvent :disturbd:

homealone
14-09-2004, 22:56
:D

I didn't plan on drinking it :p:

O/T I ordered the tin from Maplins and it came through the post. A highly flammable industrial solvent :disturbd:

Great service, isn't it ;) it's ok, so-long as it is in a metal container, afaik ?? :erm:

greencreeper
15-09-2004, 00:20
Great service, isn't it ;) it's ok, so-long as it is in a metal container, afaik ?? :erm:
Yeah - it evaporates when exposed to air and could build up fumes in a confined space.

Web-Junkie
15-09-2004, 15:23
Make sure it melts the fibre optic cable that feeds the box too, then they'll have to dig up the pavement :) Kids sure know how to cause maximum fire damage to those green boxes!

orangebird
15-09-2004, 15:38
What a stupid, childish pointless thread.
Complain that your service isn't working - but you don't call CS.
Say that you think it might be something to with a vandalised cabinet, but you don't report that either.

Then you get recommmendations on how to burn a cabinet good and proper... It s a bloody shame there isn't a 'report thread' button. :rolleyes:

Mods, am I missing something here? :mad: :afire:

Caspar
15-09-2004, 15:50
Hang-on! let's not get carried away with burning things!

To clarify the situation:

1. You have issues with a intermittent broadband connection.

2. NTL street cabinet is damaged.

Solution

Phone CS on 0800 052 2000 and report both problems. If you don't try then it definitely won't get fixed.

SMHarman
15-09-2004, 16:06
The cabinet problem needs to be put to a team called "service continuity" (sic), so I'm told, 6 weeks of nagging (every monday and Friday) got them to fix it. I kept going through to telco faults as I seemed to get to there quicker, and it could well affect telco which is an "essential service".

greencreeper
15-09-2004, 21:18
What a stupid, childish pointless thread.
Complain that your service isn't working - but you don't call CS.
Say that you think it might be something to with a vandalised cabinet, but you don't report that either.

Then you get recommmendations on how to burn a cabinet good and proper... It's a bloody shame there isn't a 'report thread' button. :rolleyes:

Mods, am I missing something here? :mad: :afire:
If you have a problem with me OB, use PM for the purposes of abuse, not open forum :)

The burning cabinet idea was humour:

humour
n.

1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd.

Hang-on! let's not get carried away with burning things!

To clarify the situation:

1. You have issues with a intermittent broadband connection.

2. NTL street cabinet is damaged.

Solution

Phone CS on 0800 052 2000 and report both problems. If you don't try then it definitely won't get fixed.
It won't get fixed if I try, but I will humour you :) The number I use is 0845 650 0925. I think it was the 0800 number where I ended up with a stressed woman who didn't have any record of my fault call.

[edit] It's closed :rolleyes:

Web-Junkie
15-09-2004, 23:36
Why can't we have a laugh at NTL's expense? They have one at us every month when our bill arrives :eek:

greencreeper
16-09-2004, 01:56
I'll wait while the morning and I'll try phoning again - technical support has technical problems :erm: So who helps them? :D I'll bring you a rough transcript of the conversation afterwards. Probably something like - reboot PC, reboot modem, disable firewall, nothing wrong - phone back when there is.

Web-Junkie
16-09-2004, 11:51
I always reboot CM/PC BEFORE calling, then I tell them that fact and that it has had no effect on the problem and that's why I'm calling them!

I disable the firewall too so they can 'ping' (that's IF the CM is working of course!). I make sure Windows Update has run (but no SP2 installed, staying clear of that like a leper with halitosis), and Virus/Spyware checked.

Basically I do everything I think they'll tell me to do before I call them :) They've yet to ask me to buy a NEW PC to see if that solves the problem, but there's time yet!!