PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between NTL modems 100, 120 and 200?

pop80_uk
13-09-2004, 10:23
Due the problem im having with dropped connections and crazy modems lights:rolleyes: which I have no idea how to fix it. Im wondering if a new NTL modem would help, I have the option on e-bay of 100, 120 or 200, which is the best and whats the difference? And will it sort my problem, detailed in thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=17354&goto=newpost

Thanks again:)

dd2k
13-09-2004, 10:31
Hi mate
as far as i know all modems have to registered by ntl to your location
before use, so if you where just to buy one on ebay it wouldnt work, sorry mate, you probably do better if you ask for ntl "networks engineer" to come and have a look rather than an standard tech, i usually find they are for more sucsessful at solving the problem

DD2K

Chris W
13-09-2004, 10:32
don't buy one from ebay because you won't be able to use it on ntl. If you need a replacement modem, ntl will do this as part of the service.

And the difference is that the 120 is docsis compatible and the 200 is eurodocsis... or is it the other way round :confused:

BBKing
13-09-2004, 10:38
And the difference is that the 120 is docsis compatible and the 200 is eurodocsis... or is it the other way round

100 is DOCSIS only, 120 and 200 are dual ED/D compatible. As to what the difference between a 120 and a 200 is, I can't say. They are different though, different hardware types and annoyingly different SNMP implementations.

Chris
13-09-2004, 10:39
Due the problem im having with dropped connections and crazy modems lights:rolleyes: which I have no idea how to fix it. Im wondering if a new NTL modem would help, I have the option on e-bay of 100, 120 or 200, which is the best and whats the difference? And will it sort my problem, detailed in thread:

Whoever is trying to sell an ntl modem on ebay is breaking the law. The modem belongs to ntl so it's not his to sell. As others have said, you would be unable to use the modem even if you did buy it, so keep well away.

Neil
13-09-2004, 10:50

Don't buy one on EBay, they are ntl's property (& it probably won't work anyway!)

Get back on to ntl-they have an obligation to fix your issue.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=299521&postcount=10

Tricky
13-09-2004, 14:36
Which of the modems support SNMP for definiate?
Is it possible to get one of these for your existing modem?

zoombini
13-09-2004, 16:17
Which modems available work well with Xbox live & upto 2mb?
Don't crash a lot & are easily configured & user friendly?

Also don't get really hot & consume little current?

Do NTL do one of these modems?

BBKing
13-09-2004, 16:19
Which of the modems support SNMP for definiate?

All of them, from where I'm sitting.

NTL are only really installing Ambit 200s at the moment, so you can have anything you like, as long as it's one of those.

Tricky
13-09-2004, 16:25
All of them, from where I'm sitting.

NTL are only really installing Ambit 200s at the moment, so you can have anything you like, as long as it's one of those.

Well my Ambit 100 doesn't - Time for a screwdriver I think - Do they just send a new one out?

purenuman
13-09-2004, 16:41
Whoever is trying to sell an ntl modem on ebay is breaking the law. The modem belongs to ntl so it's not his to sell. As others have said, you would be unable to use the modem even if you did buy it, so keep well away.
When my Mother cancelled NTL BB because she was moving to a non cabled area she was told by NTL to keep her modem as it was hers to do with as she pleased.

It's a 120.

l33t_p3t3
13-09-2004, 17:59
I too was told to just keep my modem, when I moved out of my place in Leeds. I just bined it though, didn't think it would b worth keeping when I was moving back to a Telewest area. Kept the rj45 & usb cable tho. ;)

Obviously it isn't worth their while coming to collect the modem, as I bet they are a pretty cheap piece of hardware anyway.