PDA

View Full Version : Blackberries !

Halcyon
12-09-2004, 16:42
Yes!
September is the month for blackberry pickers and I thought I'd post about this little juicy fruit as I have always liked them and this is the month to go picking them.
I guess some of you wouldnt even think of going, but I find it very pleasing.
Like today for example I was in the fields and could hear the birds, saw loads of rabbits running around, and was enjoying the fresh air.

Blackberries can be put in with apples in a nice Crumble desert, mixed with apples and blended to form a mousse, etc. You can also freeze them for later use.

So yeah, I thought I'd just see if anyone else eats blackberries or even goes and picks them as they are very nice, and many just perrish if not picked so enjoy this fruit whilst its the season.

Scrubbs
12-09-2004, 16:50
My wife and I picked 2lbs of brambles yesterday and she made 2 pies one for me, just blackberries, and one with apple (shortcrust pastry)
I had half of it yesterday straight out of the oven with clotted cream
and I am going to eat the other half in about half an hour mmmmmmmmmm yummy

Maggy
12-09-2004, 16:52
For a moment I thought Peachey was back. ;)

Chimaera
12-09-2004, 17:32
Mmmmm - I pick sloes at this time of year - just in time to make sloe gin for Christmas!! :D

Scrubbs
12-09-2004, 17:57
Just 'et me pie......now having scones and strawberrys

berry berry nice:D

greencreeper
12-09-2004, 18:18
Always pick from the top of the bush - rodents nibble the lower berries and dogs might have watered them (the berries, not the rodents).

Halcyon
12-09-2004, 18:57
berry berry nice:D
Oh dear oh dear :p:

Always pick from the top of the bush - rodents nibble the lower berries and dogs might have watered them (the berries, not the rodents).
That is very true. Good advice.
Always pick high up.

Matth
13-09-2004, 23:57
Always know when it's blackberry season, the birds are pooping purple!

dilli-theclaw
14-09-2004, 00:19
Come down to where I work - the place is crawling with them....

greencreeper
14-09-2004, 00:21
Come down to where I work - the place is crawling with them....
Crawling blackberries huh :erm: You don't happened to work at Sellafield by an chance? :p:

dilli-theclaw
14-09-2004, 00:22
Crawling blackberries huh :erm: You don't happened to work at Sellafield by an chance? :p:
It's funny you should say that..... they grow you know :) - I keep a triffid gun in my hut at work - you never know.....

ian@huth
14-09-2004, 01:09
Always know when it's blackberry season, the birds are pooping purple!

Don't I know that. My house roof is higher than any of the surrounding ones and birds are always perching on the TV aerial which is just over the side door onto the drive. Plenty of white splatterings and you have to be carefull not to have one hit you on the way out. The garden to the side of the house is a wooded bank with blackberry bushes in abundance so we know when the blackberries are ready for picking when the white splats start to turn purple. The blackberry and apple pies make up for having to pressure wash the drive nearly every day.

SMHarman
14-09-2004, 01:35
So I'm the only one who thought this thread was about handheld portable GPRS emailing devices then?

Stuartbe
14-09-2004, 01:37
So I'm the only one who thought this thread was about handheld portable GPRS emailing devices then?

:LOL: :D

Yep :)

Nidge
14-09-2004, 09:28
Got some yesterday a few bags full while I was out with the dogs. I can feel a backberry and apple pie coming on with plenty of thick custard :juggle: :juggle:

SOSAGES
14-09-2004, 11:34
blackberrys are good - i like picking them as well - not many this year :(

gary_580
14-09-2004, 12:14
not many this year :(

you must be looking in the wrong place. We have more here than i have ever seen. Even have loads in the garden this year

SOSAGES
14-09-2004, 16:27
your confusing them with wasps :)

gary_580
14-09-2004, 17:01
your confusing them with wasps :)

:erm: never seen a black and yellow blackberry