PDA

View Full Version : Network Status - HELP anyone?

Fidney
11-09-2004, 01:32
I've been having intermittent problems with my broadband connection since April this year. My latest problem has been the worst to date - my connection died on Tuesday evening and is still out (I'm on my backup dial-up account at the mo).

I have reported this, but each time I am transferred to faults to book an engineer I am told hat their system is down and that if I leave my number someone will contact me tomorrow. They said that on Wednesday and again on Thursday. They lied! On Friday they took 55 minutes to answer my call and by then it was even too late to connect me to faults as they finish at 8pm. Grrrrr.

Anyway, on a previous visit the engineer told me to press page up, page down and then the blue button on my digital cable TV remote control to see the network status. When I do this I get three pages of info called Network Status 1, 2 and 3, then a fourth page called "Even Log".

Is anyone familiar with these pages, and can they tell me what the chuff it all actually means?

Thanks in advance.

paulyoung666
11-09-2004, 01:43
hi and :welcome: to the site , it sounds to me as though you have been fobbed off :mad: :mad: :mad: , ring em up again and ask to speak to a super if you get no joy :)

BBKing
11-09-2004, 10:00
Those page up page down blue screens are a small set of diagnostics. I have a larger set that I can look up if you give me your MAC address or smart card number.

Florence
11-09-2004, 11:02
Hello Fidney and :welcome: to the forums.

All I can suggest is you PM BBK you mac number which is on a label found underneath the modem.. He has a wonderful tool that can find out whats happening to your connection. If anyone can tell you BBK is your man...

Fidney
11-09-2004, 12:14
Thanks for the warm welcome to these forums and thanks to BBKing for the offer of help. I have sent you a PM.

Thanks again everyone.

BBKing
11-09-2004, 16:04
Got it - you seem to be offline alright...

Since you've got an STB, I can find where you are in the HFC from that - give me the smart card number or MAC from that and I'll look.

Fidney
11-09-2004, 16:19
BBKing m8 - an ntl engineer has just spent the last 30 minutes running between my front door and the green box at the end of the street and the good news is that I'm back.

It's amazing what ringing up and and demanding to talk to a Team Leader can do - for the second time - the first time they "accidently" cut me off trying to transfer me. Didn't get to speak to him/her the second time, but maybe there was something in my voice that got across the mood I was in... Anyroad - within 2 hours of calling the engineer was knocking on my door.

Apparently "the box" in my garage was faulty. He replaced some silver coloured thingamyjig and voila - Fidney has returned to full service!

Yaaaay!!!!!!

I love broadband (most of the time!!!).

Thanks very much for your help.

Florence
11-09-2004, 16:27
BBKing m8 - an ntl engineer has just spent the last 30 minutes running between my front door and the green box at the end of the street and the good news is that I'm back.

It's amazing what ringing up and and demanding to talk to a Team Leader can do - for the second time - the first time they "accidently" cut me off trying to transfer me. Didn't get to speak to him/her the second time, but maybe there was something in my voice that got across the mood I was in... Anyroad - within 2 hours of calling the engineer was knocking on my door.

Apparently "the box" in my garage was faulty. He replaced some silver coloured thingamyjig and voila - Fidney has returned to full service!

Yaaaay!!!!!!

I love broadband (most of the time!!!).

Thanks very much for your help.

Good to hear they have sorted out your problem, stay around for a while and join the community we don't bite honest.. :D

paulyoung666
11-09-2004, 16:36
Good to hear they have sorted out your problem, stay around for a while and join the community we don't bite honest.. :D

maybe just nibble now and again :D :D :D

good to see your problem is sorted :tu:

BBKing
11-09-2004, 16:56
So you are - uptime 50 minutes. Nice to have you back with us :)