PDA

View Full Version : Removing NTL Broadband Software

dgr1577
10-09-2004, 11:51
Received my BB connection recently(via cable modem) and in the interest of quickness to get up and running I installed all the NTL software from the supplied CD. After reading various posts on the forum it seems I dont need any of the NTL software installed(using ethernet) so is there an easy way to get rid of it all without upsetting my connection. There doesnt appear to be any kind of 'uninstall' feature.

quadplay
10-09-2004, 15:02
Very little software is installed if you're using Ethernet. If you chose to install them, there's RealOne Player, which you'll probably want to keep anyway, and ZoneAlarm (both of which you can uninstall via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel if you wish). There's also BroadBand Medic, but you might find this helpful (more details here (http://bbmedic.ntlworld.com/)) - though again this can be removed via Add/Remove Programs.

dgr1577
10-09-2004, 15:06
When I first installed the software I did a USB installation(for some reason thought USB was the way to go - until told otherwise) so i've got all the unnecessary software installed. The 3rd party applications im okay with, I can uninstall them, its the 'hidden' NTL junk I want to know how to remove.

I notice that there is a BB service running called CFD.exe, can I remove this?

quadplay
10-09-2004, 15:11
To remove CFD, look in Add/Remove Programs for BroadJump Client Foundation, and remove it. To remove the USB drivers, go into the drivers folder on the CD, into Ambit, and run "uninstall.exe".

dgr1577
10-09-2004, 15:18
Just done a net search for CFD.exe and it appears to be spyware! why do ntl install this as part of their software, what are they monitoring?

quadplay
10-09-2004, 15:27
I suppose it depends on how you define it, but I wouldn't call it spyware. If you look at most of the links Google returns, you will see most people agree it's not spyware (ignore those sites which are trying to sell you their spyware removal software!) Some people get a little worked up about these things - and trust me, I hate spyware/adware as much as the next guy - but the BroadJump Client Foundation does not transmit any personal information about you to ntl or Motive, nor does it show any advertising. I'm not sure why it is set to run at startup, but it does not even have the capability of popup advertising (in the ntl incarnation that is, I'm not sure about other providers who may use BroadJump/Motive software). The only information sent back to ntl is related to the way you installed your broadband connection - such as which options you chose, and the specifications of your computer - your personal details are not included. A log of all communications sent by CFD is stored on your hard drive, and you are free to view it.

EDIT: Having said that, there is evidence that some ISPs use the CFD process to collect more information than they should...

dgr1577
10-09-2004, 15:34
I suppose it depends on how you define it, but I wouldn't call it spyware. If you look at most of the links Google returns, you will see most people agree it's not spyware (ignore those sites which are trying to sell you their spyware removal software!) Some people get a little worked up about these things - and trust me, I hate spyware/adware as much as the next guy - but the BroadJump Client Foundation does not transmit any personal information about you to ntl or Motive, nor does it show any advertising. I'm not sure why it is set to run at startup, but it does not even have the capability of popup advertising (in the ntl incarnation that is, I'm not sure about other providers who may use BroadJump/Motive software). The only information sent back to ntl is related to the way you installed your broadband connection - such as which options you chose, and the specifications of your computer - your personal details are not included. A log of all communications sent by CFD is stored on your hard drive, and you are free to view it.

EDIT: Having said that, there is evidence that some ISPs use the CFD process to collect more information than they should...
So can I remove it without any dire consequences to my BB connection?

quadplay
10-09-2004, 15:38
Absolutely! :D

englishrose67
13-05-2006, 10:48
Thanks so much for this information! I've left (or am trying to, but that's for another thread!) NTL completely, and had already signed up for another broadband provider, but couldn't use that for some reason. It turns out it was because the Broadjump software was still installed. All works well now I removed it.

This forum has saved me another highly frustrating phone call to NTL! Now I'm going to check out the NTL TV forum to see if my problems with that can be solved (my contract was supposed to end yesterday but I still have the services).

Thanks again!

Brigitte