PDA

View Full Version : getting out of contract due to bad service

o-dog
09-09-2004, 20:36
Hi, I have been with NTL for 3 months and im sick of them.

Internet has been up and down and no ETA for a fix. Indeed it has been known to NTL for 11 months prior to my signup yet they still accepted me as a customer and it is because of them I have suffered this frustration, especially as they could have told me sorry we canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t service you before i signed up.

I am looking to go for BT, I should am able to get 512k and possibly 1MB service (BT have recently changed their rate policies and required line quality). ADSL is cheaper than this cable, plus i know it works (had 1MB previous to this at my old place, and was absolutly brilliant).

I have signed for a year with NTL; however I havenââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t received the service for which I have paid for. Although the TV and phone have been ok (although TV freezes from time to time), I am concerned that if any problem occurs in future it wont be fixed and will be left paying for a service which I wont be receiving.

I wish to cancel my internet, phone and TV with NTL... how can I do this? Can I simply refuse to pay on the basis of not receiving an acceptable level of service? I am willing to goto court if my case is strong based on the awful internet and customer service.

TIA
Chris

paulyoung666
09-09-2004, 20:48
you would need to demonstrate that you are recieving a poor service , keep a log of faults and tell them about it , maybe you could use some video evidence as well , whatever you do , dont just stop paying them , you will end up in a world of sh@t if you do that :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

o-dog
09-09-2004, 20:53
you would need to demonstrate that you are recieving a poor service , keep a log of faults and tell them about it Belive me mate been on the phone so many times its a joke now... they have a log of the times i have rang and a log of the fault, which has happened from day the service was installed.

Had multiple engineer visits, but it hasnt been fixed.

As mentioned they have been aware of the problem for 11 months, and dont have an ETA on a fix. Surely thats enough reason to pull payment?? Im not gunna pay for sh1te, and surely they cant expect me too?

scrotnig
09-09-2004, 21:04
Speak to your local Customer Relations 9Retentions) team and explain the scenario. they will likely ask you to give them the chance to fix it, and you may gte some credit for poor service if it gets proved.

usually, if an engineer callout fails to resolve it, they will release from the parts of the contract that are not working correctly.

Bear in mind that if. for example, your broadband and TV doesn't work but the phone does, they may hold to the phone contract.

Speak nicely to them and don't have a huge rant though. It gets nobody anywhere.

paulyoung666
09-09-2004, 21:06
how long has your contract got left to run ???????????? :)

o-dog
09-09-2004, 21:10
9 months :(

Well i could ask them to release the broadband and, seeing as they cant provide me internet service, the phone also so i am able to go with BT and get ADSL. If they werent to do that i think it would be extremely unfair (would oftel be good to speak to in this case)?

I have been ok on the phone with NTL, i dont get angry with the people on the end of the phone cos they arent the cause of the problem and its not their fault. The policy setters and managers of NTL however... i would LOVE to play football with their heads for the trouble they are causing me.

scrotnig
09-09-2004, 21:15
9 months :(

Well i could ask them to release the broadband and, seeing as they cant provide me internet service, the phone also so i am able to go with BT and get ADSL. If they werent to do that i think it would be extremely unfair (would oftel be good to speak to in this case)?

I have been ok on the phone with NTL, i dont get angry with the people on the end of the phone cos they arent the cause of the problem and its not their fault. The policy setters and managers of NTL however... i would LOVE to play football with their heads for the trouble they are causing me.
To be quite honest, if you can get let out of the TV and Broadband, you can then port your number to BT in most cases, and ntl will have no say in it anyway.

But try and get them to fix it. They *ought* to be able to, just push at them. Customer Relations are best, they are targetted and thus have a personal vested interest in getting you working properly.....

If you tell us where you are, someone here may even be able to pick this up....

o-dog
09-09-2004, 21:19
They have been aware of the problem for 11 months, i have complained for 3 months. I may be being stupid but it seems to me they arent even planing to fix it.

I have requested a cable modem to try on monday (although they say the problem is with the cab and this is unlikely to fix it) - basically i am trying ALL the possible options so that when i come to cancel (i know this wont fix it becasue other people still have problems in my area with different equipment) i have a much stronger case.

So i have had loads of engineer visits, 2 STBs... and now a cable modem. Will it fix it... of course not! I have heard there have been problems in Southampton for years. Why oh why cant they sort these technical problems out?

Kneebs
09-09-2004, 21:24
Just out of interest, what problems are you having ?

o-dog
09-09-2004, 21:26
Intermittent connection. Will be fine one minute, the next it will stop working for anytime between 30mins to a number of hours.

Packets are still being received (ethernet level packets) - so i know the downstream is good. Seems to me like the upstream is knackered, however i have a good return at ~40dBmV.