PDA

View Full Version : Near Death Experiences

Salu
08-09-2004, 15:23
As you may know, I worked for many years in a busy A&E department. Throughout that time I have seen many people have cardiac arrests and die. I have also seen people "come back" against all odds. Some have related stories of light and voices etc although there were strip lights above them and we were all talking.....

I don't really know what I think about Near Death Experiences but the following makes interesting reading.......any thoughts or indeed, experiences??

http://www.nderf.org/NDERF_NDEs.htm

Macca371
08-09-2004, 17:02
My gran died yesterday at 7:10 (I don't want pity or anything I've always been able to accept death well) and my mum decided to stay with her that night because she had been very ill the day before. My mum noted that during the night she kept being awoke because gran was shouting for her mum and her husband, one of her sisters and her own gran. These people are all dead so it made me wonder. On the other hand, maybe she knew she way dying and was confused and wondering where the hell she was, and maybe she thought she had already passed at that stage. But it certainly made me think that maybe spiritual death happens over severals hours rather than several seconds, maybe she could see these people and they were helping her with the process. She was really calling out to them as though she could see them and looked surprised, like 'Mum?' as if to say 'Is that you?'.

She wasn't calling out for my mum or my auntie who were alive and next to her.

She died a few hours later.

Xaccers
08-09-2004, 17:05
When your brain starts suffering oxygen starvation, you get tunnel vision and flashes of light, along with the endorphins released making you feel calm and loved. Most fighter pilots experience this just before they black out during high-g training.
It's quite interesting.

Personally I've had a NDF, after a car accident I crawled out and found it was hard to breath, I'd broken some ribs.
I lay down and stopped breathing.
I felt warm and calm, and there were voices saying the names of my family members, none of who are worth living for. Another voice was telling me to give up, take the easy route for once, I've struggled enough.
Then a booming voice said "Kate" (someone who I mistakenly thought was a good friend at the time), and I sat up taking a huge breath which hurt like buggery and vowed not to die until I'd seen her again.
So, next time someone religous makes a flippent comment that you never get an athiest on their death bed, slap them for me as I find that comment extrememly offensive.

kronas
08-09-2004, 17:18
When your brain starts suffering oxygen starvation, you get tunnel vision and flashes of light, along with the endorphins released making you feel calm and loved. Most fighter pilots experience this just before they black out during high-g training.
It's quite interesting.

ah.....im sure i experiance that alot....i get this sort of flashing of like streams of light..tunnel vision....and this warm sensation in the brain.... i get that for no reason sometimes... :confused:

apologies if that was offtopic :erm:

Ramrod
08-09-2004, 17:22
ah.....im sure i experiance that alot....i get this sort of flashing of like streams of light..tunnel vision....and this warm sensation in the brain.... i get that for no reason sometimes... :confused:

apologies if that was offtopic :erm:Sounds like you should get an EEG done m8......

Xaccers
08-09-2004, 17:29
Sounds like you should get an EEG done m8......

Definitely.

bopdude
08-09-2004, 19:01
My gran died several times over many years, she always told storys of the lights and voices, makes you wonder just what, if anything waits for us after life, not wanting to go down the religious track again.

Russ
08-09-2004, 19:17
So, next time someone religous makes a flippent comment that you never get an athiest on their death bed, slap them for me as I find that comment extrememly offensive.

So not imposing your beliefs on anyone then ;) :D

Actually I'm keeping an open mind on NDEs - I'm not sure we need to know about them really, but whatever they are, it seems to be pretty clear that we have no control over them.

greencreeper
08-09-2004, 23:22
As a kid, I lost control of my push bike and drove straight into the path of a car on the main road through my village. I don't remember anything clearly from when I left the pavement to being laid out on the road looking at the wheels of a car - a car that had stopped on the other side of the road to the side that I was hit on. I didn't black out - I just, er, hit pause on my memory. In many ways it's a good job I did "freeze" and didn't brake otherwise the car would have crush my right leg - as it happened, the car missed me and clipped the back wheel of the bike. Right mess. I've never been as calm and happy as I was when I left the pavement. At first I was scared, then it all went away - just a feeling of utter calm and happiness, almost euphoria. I imagine that's what dying is like, and it helps to know that. I cut my thumb - had to carry the bike to my grandad's flat.

clagooey
11-09-2004, 16:13
When i was about 3 i was playing marbles with my older brother. One of them became trapped behind a grandfather clock, and my brother went to retrieve it. However, he managed to push the grandfather clock over, and it fell on to me. My mother has told me that i was 'dead' for around a minute before i started crying. I don't really remember it but it's quite odd how i didn't get any brain damage, or anf of my bones broken. the only thing that was apparent was that i had the clock's hands imprinted into my face. So there's my 'near death experience,' although i can't remember very much about it. Just before my grandmother pased away (different story), she said 'everything is wonderful,' which is quite a poignant comment.
Tjc

Nidge
11-09-2004, 21:53
About 10 years ago I had a accident on a motorbike and I suffered a near death experience. I hit a oncoming car head on, the next thing I knew was being in a tunnel surrounded by what can only be described as very relaxing lights, I was in no pain and I was myself, I also seen members of my family who had passed away many years ago. The next thing I knew I was being pulled about in the Ambulance by a paramedic, he'd boosted my heart to get it going again. I still see him to this day because I told him what I'd seen and heard when I came out of hospital.

Caspar
11-09-2004, 22:58
When I was about 17 I had a near fatal push bike accident, hit and run, whilst I was on my way to work. In fact, it was 10 years on the 4th Sept.

I don't recall the few minutes leading upto the crash and only remember vague events afterwards...nothing spiritual or anything...just blood pooring out of my mouth and face. I basically crushed my face against whatever I hit and did some serious-ish damage, loss of teeth, split tongue, lacerated and broken nose, face cuts..etc... :(

I remember dragging my bike onto the forecourt of the petrol station, trying to shout for help. I remember being the ambulance. I remember being told that I must have been laying there for a few hours at the side of the road cause the ambulance got to the hospital at 9pm, I should have started work at 6pm. I remember some of my family coming to see me in a&e before going into surgery and the horrified look on their faces :(. I remember being drugged up for 10 days in ICU dreaming about weird stuff, I remember choking on my throat tube, that was keeping my wind pipe open and preventing my neck bruising suffocating me. I remember waking up and being unable to lift a newspaper cause it was so heavy. I remember hate being in the cold hospital. I remember crying, with a split dried up tongue...it hurt. I remember being discharged. I remember coming home and seeing my coat, that I was wearing, in the bath soaking...the water blood red. I remember my brother telling me the coppers coming round to the house to look at the bike and declaring that it was my fault cause the bike had no tyre thread....it's a bloody racer bike...it's not supposed to have threads!!! I remember the 7 or so years being in and out of hospitals with numerous corrective surgery. I remember attending an eye clinic and the doc telling me that I had detached retina in both eyes (probably caused by the accident) and that I would be blind by 50 if I didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have surgery. I remember having to go through corrective eye surgery in both eyes and the same time. I remember leaving the eye hospital after the surgery on the brightest, sunniest day of the year, without sunglasses. I remember having to wear a tooth plate for 5 years. I remember being called scar-face.

I remember remembering, I suppose I should be grateful that I can.

Caspar
12-09-2004, 23:15
I remembered today that the 10 year anniversary is not until November 4th, ...something to look forward too :erm:

p.s. sorry guys, I didn't mean to kill the thread with my post (no pun intended!)