PDA

View Full Version : Netgear ADSL Router

gazza121
07-09-2004, 23:15
Hi - I was hoping someone might be able to help......

I used have virgin broadband connnection through "Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router" (DG834G). However, recently I had NTL TV/Phone installed which disabled my virgin connection (which has now been cancelled now) due to NTL not using ADSL (which I understood).

Therefore, I decided to have NTL broadband installed through the set-top box, which works totally fine when using the modem through the USB connection. However, when I connect the "Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router" to the modem using the Ethernet cable provided I can see a connection from the computer to the router, but I could not get out to the internet.

I am using a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter.

I want to get this router connected so I can get my house mate on the internet as well as using the wireless function.

So finally my question:

a) Can I use this router through the NTL modem/set-top box?

- If so how?

Many thanks

Stuartbe
07-09-2004, 23:17
That depends...

An adsl router will normaly only have a rj11 (tel) connector and not a wan port. If you are trying to plug the STB into one of the lan ports then it wont work.

What port are you connecting the STB to ?

Chris W
07-09-2004, 23:17
The answer is probably not... does the router have an ethernet "uplink" or "wlan" port? or just the adsl one?

Tezcatlipoca
07-09-2004, 23:19
:welcome:

As it is an ADSL router, I doubt you would be able to get it to work properly (or even work) on an ntl cable broadband connection.

And, IIRC, someone else posted recently trying to get an ADSL router to work with cable, & didn't have a lot of luck.

I think your best bet is to buy a new router, one which is compatible with cable broadband.

My recommendation (a Linksys, simply as that's what I use. Can't think of any Netgear models offhand):

Linksys WRT54G - wireless G router

Works perfectly.

gazza121
07-09-2004, 23:22
The modem connects to the STB and I use the Ethernet cable provided from the modem (Ethernet port) to the LAN port on the back of my router. I don't think I have an "rj11" port.

The router has the following:

4 LAN Ports

1 ADSL Port

Chris W
07-09-2004, 23:23
Won't work then i am afraid....

the adsl port is an rj11 port ;)

I would go with Matt D's recommendation...

I also have a WRT54G

gazza121
07-09-2004, 23:24
Thanks for all your replies and help.

I thought this was going to be the case. I guess I will look into getting a new router.

Thanks for the advice on routers "Matt D"