PDA

View Full Version : NTL Network Upgrades and Maintenance

dareusj
07-09-2004, 08:16
I'm just interested to know what ACTUALLY happens when NTL do network upgrades and maintenanace in certain areas at nights. What does this actually involve?

Paul
07-09-2004, 09:26
Depends on the upgrade, anything from changing bits on a ubr to complete core router swaps.

BBKing
07-09-2004, 18:35
At the moment a lot of it is readdressing of areas to utilise IP resources better. Then there's work for projects and capacity upgrades. Busy busy busy (not me, I hasten to add, kudos to the guys involved who are very hard worked atm).

greencreeper
07-09-2004, 19:48
Usually things go tits up after maintenance, then return to normal. I wonder if NTL thinks users have a short memory span and will interpret the return to normal as an improvement :p: Other than that, nothing noticable seems to happen post maintenance/upgrade. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be :erm:

Jonboy
07-09-2004, 20:36
REF : I'm just interested to know what ACTUALLY happens when NTL do network upgrades and maintenanace in certain areas at nights. What does this actually involve?

a geezer in a black overcoat will knock on yer daw and tell yer wiv is and owt for a tip :D

steve_smith
07-09-2004, 20:44
On a similar subject, is there anywhere we can find out when scheduled maintenance/network upgrade work is going to be carried out to solve problems that are occuring in a particular area?

Had an engineer out to me 3 weeks ago now telling me there was an area fault, promised he'd contact me when it had been resolved. Guess what? 3 weeks later, and no call :(

Since the connection has not improved, I guess the area problem is still waiting to be fixed (either that or they've given up and hoped I have forgotten all about it, which needless to say, I haven't).

The service status page, in my opinion, would be much improved if you could type in your postcode, and it would tell you what is wrong in your area and when maintenance is is going to be carried out to fix it. Tech support can tell you this information (well they can tell you that there is a problem, even if they don't have a clue when it's going to be resolved), so the database must exist. I suppose NTL just don't want potential customers/rival suppliers knowing just how much of their network is broken ;-)

Steve.