PDA

View Full Version : Wellingborough intermittent connection

keithfuller
06-09-2004, 08:53
Been having very flaky connection all last week with either RDY LED flashing slowly or SYNC & RDY off alltogether. Logged call and engineer arrived on Friday just at the moment that it decided to work for 5 minutes and declared that the problem had been sorted - loads of people in the area with the same problem. Worked OK all Saturday but unusable all Sunday evening. Tried logging another call with Tech Support but got fed up after 20 minutes. Service Status only mentions upgrade work in Northampton on Tuesday so don't know if that is relevant or not. Anyone else still having a problem?
Regards
Keith

Tuftus
06-09-2004, 12:35
Hi Keith,

Been having similar problems in Rushden (NN10) for a week or so, phoned TS a couple of times and they said it was down to poor Signal Levels (SNR).

If you have Docsdiag or log in to your modem you can check to see if this is the same problem, mine only did this when the SNR got down to about 23 / 24 ish but the browsing was pants when it did work.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

homer
06-09-2004, 13:10
Hi ALL,

Im from Irchester and my modem as been going off and on like a yo yo and as i am a ex ntl worker i still have contacts in ntl and it as nothing to do with poor signals as such. However they are working on it ??

Kind Regards Homer

Ps c/s service still the same (poor signal LOL)

keithfuller
06-09-2004, 13:59
Thanks for the replies
Touch wood, I've not had any problems since installation in January so hope the problem doesn't drag on too long. BTW our daughter reckons that it first started going wrong about 24/25th August while we were away on holiday but didn't know how to report it. Come on NTL, prove all those cynics wrong and get this one fixed promptly

Regards
Keith (Irchester)

Tuftus
06-09-2004, 19:42
Looks like it's up the spout again...

NTL 1.5mb is slower than my old 56K modem again!!!!

Pages cannot be displayed, servers cannot be found etc...

Signals look OK this time though...

System up time = 0 days 21h 42m 22.00s
Ethernet carrier sense xmit errs.1 = 6
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -0.5 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 2
Upstream channel frequency = 22000000 Hz
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 256000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 1536000 bps
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 30.4 dB
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 47.5 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-09-06,18:40:05.0
Configuration filename = ntlhm120-gold.cm

Does anyone have any ideas???

Andy

tomaw
06-09-2004, 21:27
I'm in the Irthlingborough, NN9 area and have had the issue "escalated to the network engineers" about a week back, although I think that is similar to being told to f* off...

If you check the service status line on 0800 052 4315 they say there are upgrades happing in the rough area tonight. Hopefully this will fix it for the morning? Shame that no one seems to know if NTL are even working on this problem though.

Tom

DrToxic
06-09-2004, 21:36
I'm in NN2 and I've been having similar problems for a few weeks now

tomaw
09-09-2004, 16:44
Having just got off the phone to NTL this appears to be a problem affecting some users in the local area. The engineers are aware of the problem and are working towards a resolution, although there is no estimated fix time...

Tuftus
10-09-2004, 12:45
Having just got off the phone to NTL this appears to be a problem affecting some users in the local area. The engineers are aware of the problem and are working towards a resolution, although there is no estimated fix time...

:erm: Nothing new there then!!! :rolleyes:

This seems to be what they always say, other than some one will call you back within 48 hours (and they never do).

Homer - Are you able to pull any strings for some more info on this?

Cheers

Andy

homer
10-09-2004, 16:48
Hello,

I will try my best and find out the truth and not c/service answers ???

give me a day or so and i will get back to you all....

Homer

Mick Fisher
11-09-2004, 04:12
Hi Everyone
I'm in the NN10 area of Rushden. Have had quite a lot of outages lately. The problems seem to have started at the same time as the speed increases. There have been 2 long outages this week, around 12 hours each.

Mick.

tomaw
11-09-2004, 09:06
OK, getting a little tired of paying £37.99 for a 250B/s connection now. Does anyone know the best person to kick regarding this issue?
I know that NTL is working for at least parts of NN9, as my friend a few doors down has it working fine!

As a side note, does anyone know if BT will install a phone line without the rather steep sounding £74.99 install charge? ;)

Neil
11-09-2004, 09:12
OK, getting a little tired of paying £37.99 for a 250B/s connection now. Does anyone know the best person to kick regarding this issue?
I know that NTL is working for at least parts of NN9, as my friend a few doors down has it working fine!

You need to ring Tech Support on 0800 052 2000/0125, or if you have tried that with no luck then take a a look here:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/19/who-are-the-people-in-charge-of-ntlhome

As a side note, does anyone know if BT will install a phone line without the rather steep sounding £74.99 install charge? ;)
They will reconnect you for free as long as there has been a BT connection in the house previously.

More info here: http://www.bt.com/lines/index.jsp?obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1120&obsPage=/at_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=46375

HTH.

tomaw
11-09-2004, 10:15
I've managed to talk to the local office themselves. They are of the opinion that the fault is specific to my connection and have arranged an engineer to visit me on Tuesday morning. Hopefully this will resolve the issue for me, I'll post back when I know more.

Tom

Tuftus
11-09-2004, 20:39
Mick,

Where in NN10 are you? I am on Queen Street...

Andy

Mick Fisher
11-09-2004, 21:08
Hi Andy

Wellingborough Road.

Mick.

homer
13-09-2004, 11:10
Hi All,

Well here it goes I said that I will report back when I have some news.

Spoke to a few contacts in NTL about modem problems in our area and they said the problems lie in the 2nd head end on which feeds Irchester,Rushden,Irlingborough,finedon,Raunds but it is being sorted but also in these areas are also other NETWORK ISSUES which is also being sorted as well.
But also they are also Network issues in the Main Head end which is Northampton and also feeds Wellingborough . So I asked the main QUESTION WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE SORTED THEY REPLIED SOON.
So I hope this helps.
Kind regards
Homer

Neil
13-09-2004, 11:18
So I asked the main QUESTION WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE SORTED THEY REPLIED SOON.
So I hope this helps.
Kind regards
Homer

"Soon" :rolleyes:

homer
13-09-2004, 11:31
Yep I know SOON ???(lol)

Homer

homer
13-09-2004, 11:33
Hi,

Just wondering my modem as been better these days ?????

Homer

tomaw
13-09-2004, 12:26
Mine too, back to normal over the last two days. Given what you're saying I'm not sure why they booked an engineer to come to me. Gets me off work though... ;)

Tuftus
13-09-2004, 21:44
Cheers for the update Homer...

Fingers crossed its been ok for a couple of days now.

All the best

Andy

tomaw
14-09-2004, 13:47
OK, engineer has been and gone. Although it was all functioning OK, my upstream signal strength was dodgy, but apparently cured by a small tit on the coax cable.

All good here now... :)

happymeal
15-09-2004, 11:13
Hi everyone,

I've fortunately not had any problems with my connection for the last several months but recently started having a few niggles here and there. I assume it's down to the same problems as everyone else is having in this thread. It's nothing all that serious - ready light will start flickering once in a while.. This will cause downloads to cease or if I'm playing an online game will just cause it to hang for a while. Just thought I'd let others know as I live in Northampton as well

What did you mean by there being a small tit causing the problem ??

DrToxic
19-09-2004, 13:44
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m getting a tad peed off nowââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ :mad:

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve been having problems with my TV and broadband for 5 or 6 weeks now. My TV and broadband keep cutting off simultaneously †“ the SYNC and RDY lights go out and my TV screen goes black at exactly the same time. The D/L light is flashing constantly. Initially, this was only happening for a few seconds, once or twice every 3 or 4 days but itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s becoming more frequent and the loss of service is occurring for considerable amounts of time.

I called NTL CS about 4 weeks ago and after initially being told that it was a network problem, it was decided that it was it may be a problem with my cable or the green box just round the corner from my house. They arranged for an engineer to come to have a look and I was told the engineer would be here between 12 and 6. On the day, at around 3:30pm, I noticed an NTL van parked by the green box and within a few minutes, my services had returned. I expected the engineer to give me a knock just to check that everything was ok, but after 20 minutes or so, the van had gone. I stayed in until around 6:15pm just in case the engineer came back, but he didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t, so I left the house. When I returned about an hour later, I found a note posted through the letterbox saying that an engineer had called at 6pm (which obviously wasnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t true as I was home at this time). I didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t think much of this as I knew my services were back, although for some reason, I felt the urge to check that I still had my services. To my horror, they had gone off again!! I picked up the phone and called CS again. After about 20 minutes or so of waiting, my modem rebooted and my TV returned, so I thought Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d give it the benefit of doubt and so I put the phone down.

Everything was fine for a week or so, but then on 4th September, I lost everything again for a good 7 or 8 hours, after which time everything came back. Since then everything had been fine again until this week, therefore I just assumed that it was some kind of network problem, particularly as a few people in Northampton seem to have been experiencing a lot of issues just lately.

On Thursday evening, the TV became extremely choppy and browsing was very slow. At around 10pm, it all died and apart from returning for about an hour or so on Friday evening, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve been without TV and Internet all weekend. I gave customer services a call yesterday to arrange for an engineer to come out but a recorded message stated that customers in Northampton may currently be experiencing a loss or service due to essential maintenance being carried out in the area. They also stated that a huge fault was preventing them from being able to book any engineers so I thought Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d try again on Monday.

What Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d like to know is anyone else experiencing problems like this at the moment? I know a lot of people are having broadband problems but Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve not heard anyone mention a loss of the TV service as well. Does the loss of both services suggest that it may be a cable problem, or could it possibly be something to do with the green box in the street? Incidentally, I also have two telephone lines, both of which are working perfectly.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could advise me as to whether it appears to be a network problem or whether it definitely seems like a problem with my cable. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m in the NN2 area (Kingsthorpe).

Cheers

keithfuller
22-09-2004, 21:14
Dear all,

Just when I was about to say everything's OK, today has been totally unusable and one of my neighbours who has reported the fault, has been told that Tuesday is the earliest that an engineer can turn out. I wonder how many customers NTL will retain after the initial 12 months are up now that the distance limit of ADSL has been relaxed?

Keith

Chimpy
23-09-2004, 11:38
I live in Leamington Spa, and have had the same problem with the Ready light flashing since we got back from holiday at the start of september. It seems to have got a bit better the last few days, so maybe somethings being sorted out somewhere.

Tech support say it's a poor upstream power. I've checked the modem and it's at 61 dbmV.