PDA

View Full Version : Extending the cable to my ethernet modem supplied by ntl

xathras
05-09-2004, 10:08
Is there anyway I can manually extend the cable to my ntl modem, I was out when the engineer called and my house mates didnt have a clue so he installed broadband and the cable is no longer than 2ft, we live in quite an old house and wireless has been tried with the rooms on the top floor losing connection.

I know I could get a access point before its suggested ;)

I would like to move the modem a few rooms down where it would be in the centre of the house.

NTL will do it for £50, not paying that, at the minute I made some custom cat 5 cables.

I'm sure there someway

What would I need, shops to buy components?

Stuartbe
05-09-2004, 11:34
You can buy the parts to extend the coax cable however I would not recomend that you do this unless you understand the problems that may be created. Using the wrong type of coax or poor connections can cause attenuation and line noise, This will not only have a detremental effect on your connection but may affect other users near you.

Leaving the modem where it is and extending the connection via cat5 cable is by far the best option. NTL do charge £50 for extending/moving but you may find yourself shelling out more than that if your cable extention creates problems on the network and it is traced back to you.

HTH

greencreeper
05-09-2004, 14:42
Just extend the Ethernet cable? Or am I missing something :erm:

SMHarman
05-09-2004, 15:34
So you want to move the modem to the middle of the house so wireless works better.

Easy, just make / buy a long cat 5 cable run it from the cable modem to where you want the wireless router and connect it up.

For a tall house, you could also consider using repeaters in the wirless network these will effectivly extend the range.

xathras
05-09-2004, 16:55
So you want to move the modem to the middle of the house so wireless works better.

Easy, just make / buy a long cat 5 cable run it from the cable modem to where you want the wireless router and connect it up.

For a tall house, you could also consider using repeaters in the wirless network these will effectivly extend the range.

thanks for the tip guys, while I heard of line noise before I never realised it could be caused by this, anyway, I went to scan and bought a 20m cat5 cable and wired from the modem to my bedroom on 1st floor, this no means the rooms above 2nd floor (i.e. 3 if 1st floor = ground floor, never understood why they called it that but then again we start at 0 with computers).

Single strength is now excellent on my floor well my other house mates are im hard wired now, and 2nd floor is very good.

Solves the problems.

Thanks

Thorny
07-09-2004, 02:24
I would advise against extending the cable from outside because NTL's cabling is absolute crap.
Firstly they wont replace the whole cable, they will put a splitter at the end of your current one and then get another cable from there to where you want it. THis is reduce power to your cable modem. So leave the modem as close to the outside box as you can. Using cat5's is far better, once the signal is in the modem you wont have any problems.
My modem is based in the attic, it comes down to my PC and into my hub, via a 20m cat5, then it goes back up to the family PC via another 20m cat5 :)
I know its bad but i like having all the stuff in my room where no family members can mess about with it.