PDA

View Full Version : Nortons AV 2004 †“ Unable To Start Auto Protect

carlingman
05-09-2004, 04:33
If like me you often find yourself in this situation when auto protect wont turn on and like me are fed up of reinstalling due to the time it takes (although if properly done it does give another years subs for free).

From the Symantec site I have on three occasions found this fix to be the best out of the ones quoted.

Has not failed me yet †“ see below.

Situation:
After installing Norton AntiVirus 2004 or Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional Edition and then restarting your computer, you notice that Auto-Protect is disabled. When you right-click the Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect icon in the system tray and click Enable Auto-Protect, you see the error message "Norton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program error." In the lower-left corner of the window, you see the numbers 4002,517

You may also see this error after Norton AntiVirus has been working correctly for a period of time.

Go here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2004010715395906?OpenDocument&src=_mi&product=NAV&version=10.0&language=english&module=4002&error=517&build=STANDARD)

Follow the link that says To reinstall the Symantec shared files (Symevent)

Follow that and it 2mins job done.

Hope it helps as it has helped me in the past.

:D