PDA

View Full Version : Medical records...

marcopolio
03-09-2004, 13:41
Hi there,

I am a new user of this very good board, so if this is in the wrong place - sorry!

I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge about medical records and whether you can request to view your medical records at any time?

I was also wondering if you can request for an item to be removed from your medical records?

I know that sound like a silly question but the problem I have is that there is something in my medical records that may prevent me getting a career I really want, but have done a very silly thing in the past that no longer affects me :dunce:

Any suggestions would be very helpful :)

Nugget
03-09-2004, 13:48
You can request to view your records at any time (but I think you have to do it at the surgery). As for having things removed, I've got to be honest and say I don't know, but I very much doubt it.

gary_580
03-09-2004, 13:49
Yes you can request a copy of your medical records as allowed by the Data Protection Act.

Im not aware of a process that you can go through to have something removed when it is correct. You can have factually incorrect items removed.

gary_580
03-09-2004, 13:50
You can request to view your records at any time (but I think you have to do it at the surgery).

Request has to be made in writing and there can be a charge for this

Ramrod
03-09-2004, 13:51
iirc--The freedom of information act (?1987) allows you to see your medical records/obtain a copy of them (there may be a reasonable admin fee charged)
Your medical records may not be altered in any way after the event. New information may be placed in them to amend the earlier information but the earlier info. cannot (by law) be erased.
.............unless anything has changed since I was taught 10 y.ago. You can have factually incorrect items removed.I believe the notes can be added to to show that the items were factually incorrect originally, but if you were to actually remove those items then you may render other (later) notes (and recorded treatment) nonsensical.

Chris W
03-09-2004, 13:52
Nope... nothing has changed... and the reasonable admin fee... is not allowed to be more than £10 :)

zovat
03-09-2004, 14:08
iirc--The freedom of information act (?1987) allows you to see your medical records/obtain a copy of them (there may be a reasonable admin fee charged)
Your medical records may not be altered in any way after the event. New information may be placed in them to ammend the earlier information but the earlier info. cannot (by law) be erased.
.............unless anything has changed since I was taught 10 y.ago.

Nothing much has changed since then mate, it has just got a bit easier, as most surgeries keep both paper and electronic versions of your records.

If there is an inaccuracy on the records, then you can get it changed, however you cannot have references to treatment or diagnosis removed.

Most surgeries charge a small fee for this service (normally £5-10), partly to cover the cost of making the copies, and partly to dissuade people from requesting copies every time they go in "just in case the doctor has written something nasty about me" (don't laugh - I had one person request their army medical records, on the grounds that the doctor who had treated her last knew her ex-boyfriend.....)

As to "embarrasing items in your past" - there is no way to have that treatment removed, but in terms of your records, a potential employer cannot see them without your permission.
Most employers request that they be able to see them, then write to the doc asking if there are any ongoing health issues that they may need to be aware of for insurance purposes -beyond that they have no real interest in your medical history.

marcopolio
03-09-2004, 14:16
Ta very much for the replies - this site is really a fountain on knowledge!! :tu:

zoombini
03-09-2004, 14:54
Thats why a lot of us use nowhere else, we come straight here.

Damien
03-09-2004, 14:58
if it no longer affects you then they cant stop employing you, unless it has a chance to re-occur

marcopolio
03-09-2004, 15:46
It doesnt affect me anymore but the problem (all my own fault to be fair) could prevent me getting the job if flagged during or after the selection process.

Any suggestions on glossing over this particular aspect of my past?

Stuart
03-09-2004, 15:51
It doesnt affect me anymore but the problem (all my own fault to be fair) could prevent me getting the job if flagged during or after the selection process.

Any suggestions on glossing over this particular aspect of my past?Have they asked (or are they likely to ask) for permission to look at your medical records? I think, by law, your doctor has to have your consent to release the records.

:welcome: btw

Damien
03-09-2004, 15:53
as far as i know if the problem doesnt effect you (or wont effect you in future i.e its completely cured) then the employer has no right to see it. Unless it is something that would still interefere with the job.

Its hard for us to know, ask your GP or a law professional

Chris
03-09-2004, 15:55

Any suggestions on glossing over this particular aspect of my past?

I can't believe no-one's asked you what it is yet. So, what did you have? We want details. :D If we don't get them, we can always fill the gaps with speculation. ;)

marcopolio
03-09-2004, 15:55
The doc would have a small questionnaire to fill in with access to the medical questionnaire that I have filled in (in which I would need to gloss over the 'problem') - so if the doc disagrees with my answer then this would prevent the application going any further.

I was thinking that as I would have to take the questionnaire to the doc then I could influence what is put (any medical persons input here would be greatly appreciated!!!).

Anyway, the problem itself is not medical - more to do with substances:dunce: :td:

Edit: Just seen the above thread and I was taking certain things that people should not be taking, especially when 6mths down the line you are applying for jobs which require a medical history questionnaire.

Anybody want to discuss this, then ask me a question! I will answer as fully and honestly as I can.

paulyoung666
03-09-2004, 15:57
iirc , there is something about not being able to see your records if it may cause you mental harm , i am not 100% sure but something sticks in my mind :disturbd:

zovat
03-09-2004, 16:49
Take a look at this link (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:6fJauzTtoukJ:www.informationcommiss ioner.gov.uk/cms/DocumentUploads/Part%25204%2520-%2520supplement%2520-%2520v0.3a.pdf+practitioner+medical+record+disclos ure+illegal+substance&hl=en) - specifically section 3.1.5 and 3.3/3.4

IT is unlikely that they will request your complete records - merely that the GP answer a questionnaire - which they must have your consent to do.

Assuming that this "foolishness" has been resolved - most GPs will quite happily avoid mentioning it unless it is specifically mentioned in the questionnaire.

As ever - just my opinion. (although I will be seeing a number of doctors tomorrow, and will see what their oppinion is as well.. :naughty: )

gary_580
03-09-2004, 17:09
I can't believe no-one's asked you what it is yet. So, what did you have? We want details. :D If we don't get them, we can always fill the gaps with speculation. ;)

springs to mind ;)

SMHarman
03-09-2004, 17:18
Data protection act applies to electronic and paper filing these days so this is another reason you can see your records.

If it's been 6 months then you will be clear on a tox screen / blood test, but if you lie on the application and this is caught out then you can be summarily dismissed.

Stuart
03-09-2004, 17:29
If it helps, my sister recently applied for a driving licence, for which the DVLA had to see her medical records (they were trying to work out whether the car would need any special alterations as she had back surgery a few years ago). To get access to her medical records, they had to get her to write to her consultant to ask him to write to them detailing her medical history.

You should be aware, that if you do refuse to provide a medical history, they may take this as you having something to hide.

Ramrod
03-09-2004, 19:20
Its hard for us to know, ask your GP or a law professional
I keep medical records on my patients (obviously). I am not allowed to even tippex out anything I have writtten if I have written it incorrectly. All I can do is cross it through. Notes can be altered, i.e. ammended or added to by way of explanation but not erased.
This is for the patients, not the practitioners, protection.

marcopolio
04-09-2004, 09:05
Gary, are you suggesting that I am pinnochio? ;)

Seriously, I am looking for advice, not a suggestion that I am a liar. As I have been reading the board regularly, it seems as though people come on here and get good advice, which is why I asked.

As I have already stated, if you want to know anything specific, just ask. The reason that I have not detailed the problem in full, is that I am aware that there are younger members of the board who may not be fully aware of certain things that happen in life and I do not want to come across as:
a) condoning or enndorsing what I did
b) looking as though I am bragging

Seriously, I am very grateful for the advice. It has been very helpful and informative - as I said previously, this forum is a fountain of knowledge!