PDA

View Full Version : AOHell > NTHell?

quixy
02-09-2004, 19:35
Hi there

Just looking for some hopefully friendly advice ;)

I am curently reached the end of my tether with AOHell....

Before I sign up to 750K broadband at 25squid, can i be sure that :

1) NTL doesn't include spy type software asking for server rights every two mins
2) Any NTL software won't trash my computer like AOL does
3)There not assholes who behave like big brother
4)There not strongly affiliated with movie companies

Any more things i may of missed to watch out for?

CSR on phone said download limit = 1GB / day and contention ration 15:1 - are they right?

Where is the technical spec. for there broadband product?

Thanks for reading, any advice b4 i take plunge would be great

jellybaby
02-09-2004, 19:38
NTL requires no software to connect, so therefore no spyware or system hogging application.
The download limit is 1GB a day, can't remember the contention ratio, i think its 20:1, but i'm sure someone will correct it if i'm wrong.

Shaun
02-09-2004, 19:48
NTL requires no software to connect, so therefore no spyware or system hogging application.

Although they do include loads of crap on their install CD

For tec info try here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

HTH

BTW, I'd have a good look at the forums before jumping from the frying pan mate. :)

MetaWraith
02-09-2004, 19:57
Re: 1) & 2) you don't need any special s/w to connect to NTL. I think a large percentage of this forum would say dont give Murphy even the slightest chance,and don't bother installing broadband medic, on the grounds that what you dont install cant crash your system.

Re: 3) No comment.

Re: 4) Correct

DeadKenny
02-09-2004, 20:25
I'd say AOHell = NTHell ;)

The software can be binned, but the quality of service from NTL is about the same (if not worse) than AOL.

On point 3... NTL don't act like big brother I'd say. They act more like a brother that hasn't got a clue what he's doing ;). I will say they have one of the most generous AUPs about though, allowing pretty much anything (i.e. servers, etc), though I'm no fan of the enforced transparent proxy which leaves you at the mercy of proxy servers that are forever broken. There is the 1Gb/day cap, but it's not really an issue at the moment (i.e. mostly unenforced).

On point 4... AOL are not only affiliated with movie companies, they are part of a big movie (and media) company. aka AOL/Time Warner.

P.S. If you're getting NTL via Cable, contention ratio is not comparable with ADSL due to technology differences, so don't read much into what they quote. However you do get a lot of people contending for the limited upstream capacity on a local UBR and that can sometimes cause problems. Also, upstream capacity is half what it is on ADSL on the sub-1Mbps products, which is a bit poor.

Prices aren't too great either, especially considering the low price of 1Mbps on AOL! (£29.99 I think for unlimited, compared to NTL's £38 for 1.5Mbps capped at 1Gb/day:rolleyes:, and if you think the extra 500k is worth £8, think again, and besides it was £38 when it was 1Mbps too. I'd much rather they offer a £30 1Mbps service than £38 1.5Mbps :().

lsgworldl
02-09-2004, 20:38
what does broadband medic do?I hears about it on the support phone but never looked at it

Chris W
02-09-2004, 20:45
what does broadband medic do?I hears about it on the support phone but never looked at it

have a look at www.ntlworld.com/broadbandmedic ... all the info is there, and the download link if you fancy taking the plunge ;)

paulyoung666
02-09-2004, 20:47
Hi there

Just looking for some hopefully friendly advice ;)

I am curently reached the end of my tether with AOHell....

Before I sign up to 750K broadband at 25squid, can i be sure that :

1) NTL doesn't include spy type software asking for server rights every two mins
2) Any NTL software won't trash my computer like AOL does
3)There not assholes who behave like big brother
4)There not strongly affiliated with movie companies

Any more things i may of missed to watch out for?

CSR on phone said download limit = 1GB / day and contention ration 15:1 - are they right?

Where is the technical spec. for there broadband product?

Thanks for reading, any advice b4 i take plunge would be great

and still no one gave the bloke a :welcome: , what is going on here , second time tonight :erm: :D :D :D , aol imho is devil spawn , keep away from the ntl cd and you will be ok :D :D :D

lsgworldl
02-09-2004, 20:51
and still no one gave the bloke a :welcome: , what is going on here , second time tonight :erm: :D :D :D , aol imho is devil spawn , keep away from the ntl cd and you will be ok :D :D :D

no one gave me a :welcome:

lsgworldl
02-09-2004, 20:53
have a look at www.ntlworld.com/broadbandmedic ... all the info is there, and the download link if you fancy taking the plunge ;)

I clicked on the link and got this

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try the following:If you typed a URL in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Go to the www.ntlworld.com home page and look for links to the information you want.
Use the navigation bar above to find the link you are looking for.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Enter a term in the search form above to look for information on the Internet.

paulyoung666
02-09-2004, 21:01
no one gave me a :welcome:

well if i had seen your first post , as the first post i have seen of yours is your 14th i didnt , sorry :erm:

Chris W
02-09-2004, 21:06
I clicked on the link and got this

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try the following:If you typed a URL in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Go to the www.ntlworld.com home page and look for links to the information you want.
Use the navigation bar above to find the link you are looking for.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Enter a term in the search form above to look for information on the Internet.

oops http://www.ntlworld.com/help/broadbandmedic/ is the correct link.. thats what happens when you try to do 3 things at once ;)

paulyoung666
02-09-2004, 21:16
oops http://www.ntlworld.com/help/broadbandmedic/ is the correct link.. thats what happens when you try to do 3 things at once ;)

try doing what felt like a thousand things at once like i was today :eek: :eeek: :spin:

quixy
02-09-2004, 21:52
Hey thanks for that and how nice to be (and feel) welcomed :)

I 'd love to transfer to another ADSL provider but AOHell are refusing the Migration Authorisation Code and all kinds of dirty tricks are in place to keep me locked to them.
I also don't feel secure with them as I like to download films and maybe I'm a little paranoid but I really suspect they could be keeping records....

Sorry one more question, deadkenny mentioned limited upstream - what is the upload on there 750k product?

jellybaby
02-09-2004, 22:11

Web-Junkie
02-09-2004, 23:05
128k? I'd say it was just plain lousy :)

Graham M
03-09-2004, 11:38
Its plenty for most everyday stuff, I even run an IRC server on mine and get no problems.

DeadKenny
03-09-2004, 14:54
Its plenty for most everyday stuff, I even run an IRC server on mine and get no problems.

Way too slow if you run even a humble low use web server, especially one that hosts a photo gallery (even though the hits are low, the photos take ages to load thanks to the crummy bandwidth), and hopeless for VNC/RemoteDesktop. Even 256kbps on the 1.5Mbps is too slow. 512kbps would be better.

Ben
03-09-2004, 19:24
512kbps would be better.

If you wanna pay for it :p

DeadKenny
03-09-2004, 19:57
If you wanna pay for it :p

Well I pay for the 1.5Mbps service mainly just so I can get the 256kbps, so yes I would pay for it. I would prefer if they had a tiered option for upstream though so you could pay an extra £5 for an extra 256kbps upstream.

However NTL is overpriced anyway, but that's another issue.

quixy
04-09-2004, 15:36
Yep...agreed 128k upload low... especially for p2p where upload has close to the same importance as download.... I too would like option to pay a "topup" to "topup" the u/l....
And regarding NTL service... well they offerered a free trial for 2 months... I guess thats the only way to find out how it is really....
Big Thanks again for advice, and i'll try to post some feedback on my experience in a month or two.

Quixy