PDA

View Full Version : NTL cable modem connection problems

eram
02-09-2004, 09:17
Hi all,yup another newbie to this forum but i really need some help.
Nobody in my area can come to fix my problem for 5 more days :(
ok my cable modem line has been tested and all is ok ive been told.My phoneline is down with no dialtone and that is ment to have tested ok aswell.My cable tv works fine.

Ok this is my problem:
iv'e been able to connect to the internet 3 times last night all for about 10 to 30 minutes each time, then the SYNC and Ready lights turn off and the connection dies on me.
I have to remove the cable modem power cable and the cable that runs into the wall for about 1 to 3 hours and then im able to get back online agan for a bit...
if i just leave my modem on while its dead nothing happens it wont kick start up again,i left it 24hours pluged in and i couldnt get online once..
any idea's?
on the last time i was online i did try that BBMedic but everytime i ran it ,the program wanted to refresh and restart in an endless loop..

PC spec in case it helps
2ghz amd cpu
1gb DDR Ram
NHLHome standard modem

(i have no spyware or virus)

Florence
02-09-2004, 10:49
:welcome: to the forums. To assist the NTL staff in helping you they need a litle more information:

If you live around Manchester then I am sure BillC can have some helpful advice or perhaps a personal call to sort it.

Otherwise its BBK, JustanotherNoob, or Monkeybreath jump to mind first but there are many others who still can help.

Have you called tech support?
If you have what did they say it was?

Try PMing one of them your IP number and they can run some tests. JustanotherNoob is off sick @ presesnt so perhaps another one.

eram
02-09-2004, 11:00
:)
ive phoned ntl i was told 1st -yes you have packet loss and then was told within the same call that the line was tested and is ok....
i live in Guildford in Surrey.MY phone line is dead but the TV is ok.
In fact this is the longest ive been online now for 3 days. im not rebooting or anything right now (not even gonna go and move the modem) in fear that it will disconnect again. :)
Everything has been fine up until this week..ive not changed anything or made any big changes to my system setup.
When the connection is up it runs at full speed with no errors.i have a ntl ip when its online and when its down i have a 192 ect address..
if when its down i release the ip etc windows (XP sp2) says everything was ok but still wont get me back online..
My connection will go down for hours at a time and if i leave the modem pluged in it never comes back on,only when i remove the power and main cable for a few hours then it comes back for a bit..Just leaving it for 20 to 40minutes or so seem not to be long enough.
until this time round ive only been able to be online 10 to 30 minutes at a time.
No windows networking errors or anthing to say its a windows probelm.

Sync and Ready light are totaly off when offline (not flashing)

Chris W
02-09-2004, 11:03
:welcome:

If you PM me your external ip address, or the mac address from the bottom of your cable modem i will have a look at this later for you.

Also, phone line failure will not related to broadband at all...

eram
02-09-2004, 11:10
ok thanks alot,i have sent you a pm with both bits of info.
+ yup i didnt think the phone would have anything to do with it ,other than the fact it went down at the same time..

Florence
02-09-2004, 11:40
Have you tried your phone on someone elses phone line to check your phone. I had a problem with no dialtone and it was my dec phone that had the fault when I plugged my neighbours phone in I had dialtone and when they plugged mine in they had none yet it was fine with theirs.
I bought a new phone and everything was fine.

Did these problems start when we was having those thunder storms?

eram
02-09-2004, 11:46
yes i have more than 1 phone and they were both working fine,( so i dont think its that)
The net and phone line both went down at the same time ,im 99% sure its not a hardware fault. even tho the cable modem itself does run a bit hot..
TBH im amazed ive been online this long ,im starting to wonder if its gonna be ok from now...
This started on Sunday and ive not been online more than 30minutes ,until now...online for 4 hours now so far...

DeadKenny
02-09-2004, 13:08
If both are down at the same time maybe there's a fault in the street cabinet or some Chav **** has kicked it in?

eram
03-09-2004, 11:03
Thanks for all the info and LOL i think dead kenny may have been correct.
i just have a nice cable guy come over and fix my phone and cable modem.
It was the cable from outside on the street that runs to the 1st green box that was at fault.
Tnx all..