PDA

View Full Version : dhcp release/renew failed

kev1969
01-09-2004, 21:47
could anyone help me i have a friend who has just got ntl stb and have had athe cable fitted by ntl to the pc which has the usb cable connected to the pc which is running xp now when you run thru thecd to install software it comes back and says that the dhcp release/renew failed you have one dhcp network adapter set to dhcp .The stb is the new style when you unplu the cable at the box you get the actio saying it has beeen disconnected at the pc so that side of it is working when you contact the help desk they say that the pc must be at fault .

maverick
01-09-2004, 22:09
Have you got a valid ip address,if so

Send your web browser to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html (note the https rather than http) and follow the on-screen instructions. When asked for a Serial Number:

for digital TV set top box users, the serial number is ntl-ct8-cb487.

Chris W
01-09-2004, 23:39
The autoreg site will not provision the pc for access, but only setup the email and webspace.

With the stb, if you are getting an ip address starting with 10, then you need to visit start.ntl and follow the instructions. THEN visit the autoreg site mentioned above and follow that through to setup the email address and webspace.

kev1969
02-09-2004, 12:40
thank you for the help but it will not let me get that far to get on the internet it is during the process of trying to set this up for someone that i am getting the error

Chris W
02-09-2004, 12:46
Check the light on the usb adaptor- flashing, solid or off?
Also have you got the 2 lights on the STB solid (or 1 light if it is a Samsung)?

If so, then check in the network connections and make sure that there is a local area connection there for the usb. Also make sure there is no network bridge.

kev1969
02-09-2004, 13:03
i am getting a network connection because when you reboot the box downstairs the stb then the pc sees this and says the connection is not there until you cycle the pwr on the stb

maverick
02-09-2004, 13:08
What version of Windows is it,check what the ip address is.
If it starts with 10. then try as monkeybreath suggests and open up your web browser and type in the address bar start.ntl

Chris W
02-09-2004, 13:08
and the lights on the box? and usb adaptor??

If you double click on the network connections and chose support, what is the ip address?

Have you got sp2 installed?

kev1969
03-09-2004, 00:23
the box is the new style and the usb connector is flashing and when you disconnect the box it comes up and tells you when you try and type anything in the address line says page not found on xp only service pack 1 not going to two as there are two many things that do not work with it

Marge
03-09-2004, 00:26
Go to

Start
Run
type in "ipconfig"

What IP address do you have ???

Chris W
03-09-2004, 02:30
I am sure the debsy meant run, then command, then ok, the typing ipconfig in the dos prompt that appears....

but i know she is tired tonight ;) :angel:

kev1969
03-09-2004, 08:30
the ip i have is 169.254.***.*** i do not know if it is a good idea to give out the full ip but i take it you will be able to tell if it is good or not by this.Do you think it would make any differnce if i put in a network card instead of using the usb .Also i have been told to go into ipconfig /release and then ipconfig/renew anyone tried this.

Chris W
03-09-2004, 10:05
Ok. what is the error message that you get when you type ipconfig /renew?

I would definately suggest trying a network card if you have one available (or can install one) . Just power down the STB and remove the usb adaptor.

Also, you may want to try restarting windows in "safe mode with networking" and see if you can get a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address then,

BBKing
03-09-2004, 10:19
With a 169.254.x.x you can tell anyone you like what the IP is, as it's a private range used by Windows when it can't find a DHCP server.

However, if you PM me the smart card number of the STB I can check to see if it's provisioned correctly. Also, have you considered using Ethernet instead of USB? As mb says, it's well worth trying.

kev1969
03-09-2004, 18:19
so do you think it is worth while trying a network card then

paulyoung666
03-09-2004, 18:40
it is deffo prefered to usb :) , if usb works then it is fine , if it doesnt then it is a complete pain in the ar$e to get sorted :disturbd:

BBKing
03-09-2004, 19:23
so do you think it is worth while trying a network card then

100% yes.