PDA

View Full Version : Registering a new cable modem

steevc
01-09-2004, 21:33
I've been trying to do my IT support for some friends this evening, but have failed :(

They have just got the low speed broadband installed. They tried to install from the CD, but after getting as far as starting downloading the terms and conditions nothing else happened, so they gave up and turned off.

They have an old PC with Win98 and a mere 64MB. When I started it up it displayed a box saying to insert the CD to complete the broadband install. I tried a number of times, but could not get it to run the install program. It just sits there for ages. It sounds like it is reading the CD, but I gave up after about 10 minutes.

The cable modem is connected via a network card and the lights are flashing. I could even ping various servers from a command prompt, but there's no web or mail access. I'm guessing that something needs activating on their account to allow this.

This is in Arlesey, Bedfordshire if that makes a difference, but I suspect it's something related to the PC and/or software rather than the connection.

Any ideas on things to try?

Thanks

--
Steve

Tezcatlipoca
01-09-2004, 22:10
:welcome:

You don't actually need to use the CD to set-up an ntl broadband connection, especially if you're using ethernet rather than USB to connect to the modem.

Have a read of these:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html

:)

Chris W
01-09-2004, 23:41
Sounds like you have the driver installed properly and are on a prereg ip, visit https://80.5.178.26/ to finish registration. Then reboot cable modem and pc and it should have a full connection.

To stop the Broadband cd from hanging "closing" go to
start
run
type msconfig
go to startup
untick "recoverfromreboot", apply, then ok, then reboot when prompted.

steevc
04-09-2004, 13:10
Thanks guys. All sorted now. It's so long since I registered mine that I had forgotten the procedure. I was sure we didn't need the CD, but couldn't get rid of the popup before.

More happy customers, especially as they didn't have to sit on hold to the support line ;)

--
Steve

Flubflow
05-09-2004, 08:13
Thanks guys. All sorted now. It's so long since I registered mine that I had forgotten the procedure. I was sure we didn't need the CD, but couldn't get rid of the popup before.

More happy customers, especially as they didn't have to sit on hold to the support line ;)

--
Steve

I did the same thing for a relative the other day without the NTL CD from instructions on this site. Worked a treat.

As a general note to everyone with a new broadband connection, make sure you have a decent firewall program and antivirus on the system. Zonealarm and AVG are great, and free. Also put some ad-ware/spyware scanner program on (Lavasoft's Ad-Aware is a pretty good free one).
I did all this for them and everything was as clean as whistle but 2 hours later when I got back home they called to tell me they had just got a virus!!! When I had a look they actually had no less than 4 viri plus a peice of spyware/adware. I suppose that's what you should expect when you have two really daft teenagers left in charge of a computer on a broadband connection ;). Since the parent knows nothing about PC's and it is situated in the kids bedroom then Netnanny is definitely coming soon to their PC and the little b*ggers won't like that ;)).