PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Live Disconnections - Basingstoke

mattyduk
01-09-2004, 09:30
For the last 2 week2, I've have disconnections when using xbox live. I can be playing a live aware single player game and it will suddenly disconnect (R6:BA informs you of this as soon as it happens). In addition, when hosting, the game has suddenly disconnected. Last night when connected to another a friendslist hosted game (also on NTL), we were experiancing echo on the voice comms. This stopped as soon as I disconnected.

The majority of the time,it seems that the modem is not rebooting, just losing a connection at some point.

I am using wireless but nothing has changed on this config for over a year, and I haven't introduced any additional conflicting wireless devices.

Downloading seems fine from the PC (also connected wirelessly, but never on when using xbox live).

What things can i check ?

First of all, should I check the log and see how often the modem is rebooting.
Can someone remind me of the acceptable powerlevels for the downstream/upstream.

I am on 1.5mb using a motorola surfboard. Any more info I can provide, then just reply.

Neil
01-09-2004, 09:35
The thing you need to do is remove all your wireless kit (ntl probably wont help you until you do) & be 100% sure that none of that is contributing to the problem-just because you haven't had a wireless issue in the past doesn't mean you don't have one now.

BTW-Have you actually rung Tech Support about this?

mattyduk
01-09-2004, 13:05
I haven't rung technical support yet, as there are a few things (as you have mentioned), that I can try myself first.

Can someone remind me what the "safe" signal strengths are for a motorola cable modem ?

I'll try xbox live without wireless at the weekend, as you say, to discount that potential problem.

mattyduk
01-09-2004, 22:56
had the xbox connected to LIVE this evening for 3.5 hours, and then finally got a disconnection.

I noticed that the downstream power was -2 when I came home, just after the disconnection, was -5.

The modem didn't reboot during this disconnection as I was able to reboot the xbox and reconnect at once. So it seems just a momentary disconnection, but something I wasn't having two weeks ago.

I need to test without the router/wireless option and report back.

Tezcatlipoca
01-09-2004, 22:59
What make/model router are you using?

I used to get random disconnections with my old (wired) Linksys BEFSR41, 'till I changed the firmware.

mattyduk
02-09-2004, 09:42
What make/model router are you using?

I used to get random disconnections with my old (wired) Linksys BEFSR41, 'till I changed the firmware.
Linksys befw11s4, but I upgraded the firmware a couple of months ago.

The problem seems to occur later in the evening. Looking at the config of the cm, the downstream powerlevels seems to be fluctuating quite a bit well. I'm going to try a non wireless solution over the weekend.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but this problem appears to have coincided with the move to 1.5mb

I can't call technical support, because despite the fact that I contribute £600.00 a year to NTLs bank account, they will not speak to me about xbox live problems because I don't subscribe to the "additonal service".

mattyduk
07-09-2004, 09:51
Got disconnected again last night and over the weekend.

Whilst the lights remained lit, on the cm, I wasn't getting any Internet connection, and on checking the CM diags, it said my downstream power was 0

Rebooted everything but still no luck. This has been going on since my 1.5mb upgrade.

This morning, the third light on the cm is flashing, which is even worse. I'm now going to ring CS.

mattyduk
07-09-2004, 14:29
Spoke to TS (only a 10 minute wait, which was good), but they've told me they can't run a scan on my thorough modem/line until the problem reoccurs.

I did tell them it was an intermittant problem, that it suddenly drops out, and can then be ok, but basically next time it happens, I've got to ring them.

mattyduk
08-09-2004, 09:21
Well, the online greenlight started flashing last night, so called TS. The guy ran some tests and concluded all was NOT right, and that an engineer would have to come out.

They should hopefully ring me today,

avit
08-09-2004, 14:24
good luck on them ringing you back ive been waiting 5 days now for them to ring me

mattyduk
08-09-2004, 14:42
well they had better ring me back today, otherwise I will simply cancel 600 pounds per annum worth of service.

Yesterday I got my BT line reconnected, just in case

mattyduk
09-09-2004, 08:09
well surprise, surprise they didn't ring me !

Looks like I have to waste more of my valuable time chasing NTL again !

They have 3 days to fix it, if not bye bye.

Neil
09-09-2004, 08:38
well surprise, surprise they didn't ring me !

Looks like I have to waste more of my valuable time chasing NTL again !

They have 3 days to fix it, if not bye bye.

*Sigh*

What a surprise (not) :rolleyes:

You knew you wouldn't get a call. :nono:

no matter what people say, ntl still have the same core problems they have had in the last 6 or seven years-lame. :td:

mattyduk
09-09-2004, 09:46
Yep, and supposedly its my fault as they say its 48 hours before you get a call not 24. Great customer service !

Anyway, the tech guy say he would book and engineer for me, but 5 minutes later, without any warning he just put me through to the faults department. They said they couldn't help me as their systems were running slow (I know the bloody feeling !!!), and that they would call back, and that if I hadn't heard within 24 hours to contact them again !!!

I said I would ring back in an hour !!!

Do NTL carry out engineer work at weekends ?

poolking
09-09-2004, 12:34
good luck on them ringing you back ive been waiting 5 days now for them to ring me
During this time have you actually called NTL back?

mattyduk
09-09-2004, 16:11
Still no call back from NTL. They really know how to treat their loyal customers don't they.

From this morning, I have been told that I have been put on to the 2nd level support and should have a call today.

Bloody disgrace.

Neil
09-09-2004, 16:33
Still no call back from NTL. They really know how to treat their loyal customers don't they.

From this morning, I have been told that I have been put on to the 2nd level support and should have a call today.

Bloody disgrace.

I think you need to take a look here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=89078&postcount=1 ;)

mattyduk
09-09-2004, 17:43
I think you need to take a look here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=89078&postcount=1 ;)
BT need to come out and activate my line (the remote activation failed, due perhaps me and the previous owners never using BT,even though the line is in the house), but can't do it until the end of September, so it looks like I'll still be on NTL until the middle of October.

Oh well. Ringing NTL back again.

mattyduk
14-09-2004, 09:30
Still no call back from the second tier of support, to arrange my engineer visit. Its been a week now, since I first reported the problem.

One last call I suppose.

If the BT line checks out ok, I'm definately moving to ADSL after this. Thanks a lot NTL, it wasn't much too ask, just to call me back. You know, I only spend £600 a year with you. Perhaps you don't need customer money any more ?

So long and good riddance.

zoombini
14-09-2004, 10:45
Don't worry about it.
They don't care that they will lose you, there are plenty more to take up your place.

When you get ADSL through BT, hopefully your connection will be much better on Xbox Live & you can host more. It should be cheaper too.

zoombini
14-09-2004, 10:59
By the way, have you actually tried it with the Xbox plugged directly into your modem?

mattyduk
14-09-2004, 16:40
By the way, have you actually tried it with the Xbox plugged directly into your modem?
yeah, I have, but its not just an xbox problem, I can be surfing, then nothing, complete lack of connection. I can then come back 10 minutes later, then its fine.

mattyduk
16-09-2004, 14:38
Well, they finally got back to me, a week after first contacting them.

Their first question, was do I still have the fault, hoping perhaps that it had been so long, it might have fixed itself.

Still an intermittant fault. They are sending out an engineer the same afternoon as BT are sending out one to reconnect me :)