PDA

View Full Version : It had to happen.....

Neil
31-08-2004, 18:06
512k BB for under £20.00. :tu:

Tesco are now offering full 512k BB ADSL for £19.97 per month with no download limit

This can only be a good move for the consumer IMHO-Why pay Wanadoo (for example) £20.00 for a 'service' with a 2 gig d/l limit, when you can pay the same to Tesco & get an unlimited service?

Link. (https://register.tesco.net/online)

Way to go Tesco! :clap:

paulyoung666
31-08-2004, 18:08
tbh i am surprised it has taken this long , i wonder if it is going to mean supermarket price wars extended to the internet , now theres a thought , i wonder if morrisons and the rest of them will get in on the act :tu: if they do :D :D

Maggy
31-08-2004, 18:24
Why do the colours on that site seem so familiar? :erm:

paulyoung666
31-08-2004, 18:26

now you mention it :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

Chris
31-08-2004, 18:44

Tesco's dial-up service is provided by NTL. Presumably their Broadband is as well, which is very interesting indeed. Where are NTL up to with their own off-net ADSL service? And is it UNCAPPED? :erm: :dozey:

Neil
31-08-2004, 18:55
Tesco's dial-up service is provided by NTL. Presumably their Broadband is as well, which is very interesting indeed. Where are NTL up to with their own off-net ADSL service? And is it UNCAPPED? :erm: :dozey:

ntl only provide Tesco with dial up backbone AFAIK, the BB offering from Tesco will be over BT lines using ADSL.

matrix
01-09-2004, 12:04
does it require a bt line?

Marge
01-09-2004, 12:09
Unfortunately, Tesco internet access is only available to customers using BT residential 'phone lines.

Neil
01-09-2004, 14:13
does it require a bt line?

Yes, as it's ADSL.

MovedGoalPosts
01-09-2004, 14:21
Not wishing to stir things (and certainly not trying to make this a capping thread) but I believe Virgin.net also has close links to NTL yet runs over the BT ADSL network, similar to this Tesco offering. Virgin, like tesco, make no reference to caps, yet Virgin are now regularly contacting their users by email saying your overdoing it.

Is the grass really greener on the other side? Time will tell. On the face of it the Tesco offer is excellent value, relative to other UK ISPs.

jlm
02-09-2004, 10:02
I already have BB with BT, would it be easy to change over to Tesco?
Thanks
J

greencreeper
02-09-2004, 16:31
I find the AOL ads very amusing - the pop-up box that says "You've reached your download limit" and AOL intoning that this means you have to wait until next month. It's an industry conspiracy to spread misinformation. Good job the muppet users have CF :D

DeadKenny
07-09-2004, 18:51
I find the AOL ads very amusing - the pop-up box that says "You've reached your download limit" and AOL intoning that this means you have to wait until next month. It's an industry conspiracy to spread misinformation. Good job the muppet users have CF :D

Yeah, but they can offer 1Mbps uncapped for £29.99 a month ;)

Their CS may be as bad as NTLs though I don't know these days, and their software sucks, but they seem to be living on the same planet as everyone else when it comes to pricing, plus their tech support line is free.

bob_builder
13-09-2004, 16:34
ntl only provide Tesco with dial up backbone AFAIK, the BB offering from Tesco will be over BT lines using ADSL.
Yes, but does it not go onto the NTL ISP network once off the BT network (like NTL Freedom ADSL) and use the NTL servers etc.?

Neil
13-09-2004, 17:17
Yes, but does it not go onto the NTL ISP network once off the BT network (like NTL Freedom ADSL) and use the NTL servers etc.?

I don't believe so, no.

bob_builder
13-09-2004, 17:26
I don't believe so, no.
OK, fair enough. Does the NTL Freedom ADSL go back onto the NTL ISP network?

Neil
13-09-2004, 17:33
OK, fair enough. Does the NTL Freedom ADSL go back onto the NTL ISP network?

No, ADSL uses BT phonelines.

Aquillae
13-09-2004, 19:07

I don't believe so, no.

Actually Neil bob_builder is correct. It goes from BT's exchange straight on to the NTL network.

It's also supported by the same Tech Support team in Newport.

Neil
13-09-2004, 19:21
Actually Neil bob_builder is correct. It goes from BT's exchange straight on to the NTL network.

It's also supported by the same Tech Support team in Newport.

"Supported" it may be by Newport (I'd love to find out how much training those guys & gals have had on DSL :erm: ), but running on ntl's network??

Jason1
13-09-2004, 19:49
Would have went for this myself only thing that put me off is the premium rate tech support number

Neil
13-09-2004, 19:55
Would have went for this myself only thing that put me off is the premium rate tech support number

I never knew that they were up to that old chestnut :eek:

Calls to the ntl: Freedom team may be monitored and recorded. Technical support for dial-up services can be reached on 090 5072 0072 or support@ntlfreedom.com. Technical support for broadband services can be reached on 090 6956 6000 or broadband.help@ntl.com. All calls are charged at 75p per minute and may be recorded. Opening times are 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-6pm Saturdays.

I think I will have to check what other DSL providers charge. ;)

That sounds v naughty to me ntl, if I didn't know you better I'd say you tried to hide those Tech Support call charges.......:nono:

Nice to see that Pipex aren't the only DSL ISP not open on a Sunday! :D

Aquillae
13-09-2004, 19:59
"Supported" it may be by Newport (I'd love to find out how much training those guys & gals have had on DSL :erm: ), but running on ntl's network??

Well we've been doing Virgin.net ADSL since it launched so most of us have loads of ADSL experience.

Obviously they have brought in more staff because of Tesco ADSL but at the moment it's just the experienced tech's on ADSL while the new guys & gals get up to speed.

Neil
13-09-2004, 20:01
Well we've been doing Virgin.net ADSL since it launched so most of us have loads of ADSL experience.

But how much training were you all given by ntl in preperation for a new service that they were getting ready to launch?

Obviously they have brought in more staff because of Tesco ADSL but at the moment it's just the experienced tech's on ADSL while the new guys & gals get up to speed.

Obviously. :angel:

Aquillae
13-09-2004, 20:02
Calls to the ntl: Freedom team may be monitored and recorded. Technical support for dial-up services can be reached on 090 5072 0072 or support@ntlfreedom.com. Technical support for broadband services can be reached on 090 6956 6000 or broadband.help@ntl.com. All calls are charged at 75p per minute and may be recorded. Opening times are 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-6pm Saturdays.

I never knew that they were up to that old chestnut :eek:

I think I will have to check what other DSL providers charge. ;)

That sounds v naughty to me ntl, if I didn't know you better I'd say you tried to hide those Tech Support call charges.......:nono:

Nice to see that Pipex aren't the only DSL ISP not open on a Sunday! :D

That info is incorrect now and should be changed soon, the support for Freedom is coming back to Newport and we are open 8am-12pm 7days a week 365 days a year :D

Aquillae
13-09-2004, 20:06
But how much training were you all given by ntl in preperation for a new service that they were getting ready to launch?

Obviously. :angel:

NTL didn't give us any training. We all work for Fujitsu now (remember they sold us off in May this year)

We did actually know about the product at least 3 months before the test area started and the training started about a week later.

Neil
13-09-2004, 20:08
That info is incorrect now and should be changed soon

Ah...the old ntl "soon" classic! :rolleyes: :D

the support for Freedom is coming back to Newport and we are open 8am-12pm 7days a week 365 days a year :D
But @ 75ppm? :Yikes:

Aquillae
13-09-2004, 20:13
Ah...the old ntl "soon" classic! :D

But @ 75ppm? :Yikes:

I fully agree with your Neil, the 75ppm is way over the top :td:

Jason1
13-09-2004, 21:21
Tesco will charge as above but still a rip off tech support should be free or local rate

Customer Support:
0845 650 8000
Service Announcements:
0800 519 2345
Technical Support:
0906 301 8000* support@tesco.net
* calls will be charged at 50p per min

http://www.tesco.net/help.asp

slimshady
17-09-2004, 12:05

I think your getting the wrong network Neil.

Theres a different between ntl's internet network and their HFC network - The ADSL is BT until it reaches an IP based router that puts it onto ntl's network. This would probably (i think) be the same for ntl freedom, virgin.net and tesco.net adsl, its certainly how it worked for the ntl Business Essentials ADSL.

trig
21-09-2004, 13:32
have you seen the BT Broadband adverts? Check out the small print that says '1gig limit per month, costs introduced per mb after'
I can do a gig in a day no problem..

Ignition
23-09-2004, 23:18
I think your getting the wrong network Neil.

Theres a different between ntl's internet network and their HFC network - The ADSL is BT until it reaches an IP based router that puts it onto ntl's network. This would probably (i think) be the same for ntl freedom, virgin.net and tesco.net adsl, its certainly how it worked for the ntl Business Essentials ADSL.

The way that service was provided is no longer available.

ADSL can now be delivered to a service provider through either IPStream where provider takes traffic as a series of ATM Centrals from BT onto a router/LNS/BRAS which terminates customer sessions and forwards them to the IP network. The Essentials took a pure IP feed, not ATM, as BT managed the router that is LNS/BRAS.

The other way is Datastream, a series of links, one from each enabled exchange to a provider's own ATM network to be delivered to a router/LNS/BRAS via provider's own network. Gives provider more control over network.

Obviously there's also LLU but that's certainly not used.

Neil, there's cheaper/similarly priced ADSL than this available at 512k by the way:

http://portal.v21.co.uk/sales_splash2.asp
http://www.hi-velocity.it/old%20web%20site/pricing.htm
http://www.firenet.uk.com/

Pays ya money, takes ya choice really :)

Gareth
24-09-2004, 01:33
That info is incorrect now and should be changed soon, the support for Freedom is coming back to Newport and we are open 8am-12pm 7days a week 365 days a year :D Just being pedantic, but I hope you meant 8am - 12am ;)

NitroNutter
27-10-2004, 04:20
seems a bit expensive to me, that such a big firm can be outpriced by a small firm even if only by a quid or so

Juan
02-12-2004, 23:26
How does £17.51 for 1Meg BT Yahoo ADSL with 30Meg monthly limit compare with unlimited products from Tesco, Demon etc? Suppose it depends if someone prefers to have double the speed or the unlimited usage.