PDA

View Full Version : Operations

Electrolyte01
31-08-2004, 09:32
My mom has gone in to have her hip replaced today, and I found it disgusting the fact she has to have an injection in her spine to stop the nervouse system, then have the operation while she is AWAKE. They didn't even ask her if she wanted the other one (which is the sleeping gas). Disgusting hospital I think :mad:

Julian
31-08-2004, 10:17
There could be medical reasons for the spinal anaesthetic.

Good Link For Info. (http://www.youranaesthetic.info/downloads/hip_or_knee_feb04.pdf)

Hope the op. goes well. :)

basa
31-08-2004, 10:23
General anaesthetic is a killer, especially for older peple or people with medical 'conditions' (overweight, asthma, heart problems etc.)

Although not risk free epidural is far safer alternative.

I find being awake whilst someone digs around inside your hip a bit creepy though. :shocked:

Oh and 'recovery' is far speedier - once the epidural has worn off you are ready to go so to speak - no 'groggyness' (although the hip will obviously need support).

Electrolyte01
31-08-2004, 10:25
I find being awake whilst someone digs around inside your hip a bit creepy though. :shocked:
That's the thing :(

Ramrod
31-08-2004, 10:26
What other health problems is she suffering from?

Electrolyte01
31-08-2004, 10:26
Nothing else, just the hip.

zovat
31-08-2004, 10:50
Nothing else, just the hip.

It is now more common to avoid the use of a general anaesthetic, as this is known to have a risk, and also requires more pain relief post operation.

see : http://www.youranaesthetic.info/knee/introduction.asp for a more detailed comparison.

Nidge
03-09-2004, 11:12
Anything below the waste which is not classed as a major operation people will have a local. I had one a few years ago via a injection in the spine, it's much better than being knocked out, the recovery time is better, you have no side effects like vomiting, headaches. Your mum will feel no pain at all, she will be able to watch the TV in theatre, listen to the radio talk to the surgeon basically have a laugh with the people who are doing the operation.

Chris
03-09-2004, 11:25
My mom has gone in to have her hip replaced today, and I found it disgusting the fact she has to have an injection in her spine to stop the nervouse system, then have the operation while she is AWAKE. They didn't even ask her if she wanted the other one (which is the sleeping gas). Disgusting hospital I think :mad:

Relax, epiduarls are a very common form of local anaesthesia ... most often associated with childbirth (Mrs T had one when Jr Towny was born). Your mum will not experience any pain during the op, and she will have the benefit of swifter recovery from the anaesthetic afterwards. Hip replacement is not the major surgery it was 20 years ago (when my mum had hers done) so it's not always necessary to knock the patient out now.

Does she suffer from arthritis? My mum came down with it very young (before she was 40) and has had her hip done, both elbows, and several finger joints fused. Her original hip replacement wore out and had to be re-done two years ago (but I think artificial joint technology has also improved a lot now, I don't want to scare you!)

She's going to need a lot more help around the place for a while afterwards. PM me if you want to talk about it ... I know what a pain it is to have to use a toilet with a big booster seat on it. ;)

Salu
03-09-2004, 11:41
I'm surprised they haven't discussed it with her. The Anaesthetist should have run through the options with her. There may be other reasons why a GA is not appropriate though. Previous anaesthetic problems, allergies, obesity, previous history of Pulmonary embolisms to name a few. Maybe the anaesthetist's manner was not the best? They may have "discussed" it with her but presented it not as an option but as a fait-accomple?

They may also give her a drug call Midazolam which has a sedatory and also an amnesiac effect. She will be awake during the op, be sedated not anaesthetised yet remember nothing afterwards.

Avoiding GA where possible is advisable. You can feel pretty rough afterwards. She may also require a stronger pain killer, which may make her feel dizzy, than if she had had a spinal.

It is the nearest state to death that you can get, remember.....!

Damien
03-09-2004, 11:42
I would much rather go under local, especially if she is treated as a out patent?