PDA

View Full Version : late spring clean

Escapee
30-08-2004, 16:36
I am having a spring clean today to make room for some work around the house. I have been clearing out a small room that is supposed to be a pantry, I have been amazed at the valuable and some missing things that I have found.

10 litres of white Road Marking paint
New boxed BOC Nitrogen regulator and gauges
2 bl**dy big variable capacitors from a very high power transmitter.
New 5 Litre container of WD40 (Been looking for that about 3 years)
2 new polls of Mig welding wire
5 Litres of new unopened "Yellow" hammerite paint. (ordered specially)
115V compressor
New Transmission Jack (still in box never used)
Reliant Regal steering box
Bond Bug steering box
24 rolls of cloth tape (thrown out by old company 10 years ago cos useless)
1 very large roll of new winch wire. (Tank towing size)
new trailer jockey wheel (bought it urgently about 6 yrs ago for some reason)
Toolbox full of Whitworth Spanners!
4 Leak Thruline Mono FM tuners (collectors items I promised to someone about 18 months ago but couldn't find them)

I have just scratched the surface so far, I'm sure there will be some more gems.

If I hadn't wasted all that money on these things, I could of spent it on something usefull like Beer and Women. :D

paulyoung666
30-08-2004, 16:52
are you a closet skip rat :erm: :D :D :D

Escapee
30-08-2004, 17:04
are you a closet skip rat :erm: :D :D :D
yep!

I also found a reduction gearbox, like the one I was looking for in another thread about the gates.

Didn't know I had that either, the most alarming bit is it looks like it has been stripped down cleaned and the oil changed.

Did I do that?

Is my memory going :D

paulyoung666
30-08-2004, 17:06
yep!

I also found a reduction gearbox, like the one I was looking for in another thread about the gates.

Didn't know I had that either, the most alarming bit is it looks like it has been stripped down cleaned and the oil changed.

Did I do that?

Is my memory going :D

whats that van doing outside your house with men in white coats in it :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: :D :D :D

Escapee
30-08-2004, 17:10
whats that van doing outside your house with men in white coats in it :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd: :D :D :D

Dont know, perhaps I will blast them with the unopened 10 litre container of machine mart grit blasting stuff I have just found in the corner.

I also stubbed my toe on a 20 inch diameter 4 jaw lathe chuck, I remember buying it as a bargain. trouble is my lathe will only swing 11 inches!

escapee scours the free ads for a larger lathe weighing about 2 tons to make use of his large lathe chuck.

PS: I'm not as bad a smy grandfather, he left here 12 months ago and I'm still throwing his rubbish out.

Russ
30-08-2004, 17:13
All together now....

"No income tax
No VAT,
Money back?
No Gaurantee
Black or white?
Rich or poor,
We'll cut prices at a stroke......" ;)

Maggy
30-08-2004, 17:14
Dont know, perhaps I will blast them with the unopened 10 litre container of machine mart grit blasting stuff I have just found in the corner.

I also stubbed my toe on a 20 inch diameter 4 jaw lathe chuck, I remember buying it as a bargain. trouble is my lathe will only swing 11 inches!

escapee scours the free ads for a larger lathe weighing about 2 tons to make use of his large lathe chuck.

PS: I'm not as bad a smy grandfather, he left here 12 months ago and I'm still throwing his rubbish out.

Sell it on eBay ;)

MetaWraith
30-08-2004, 17:15
I dont see sticky back tape, egg boxes or other traditional "Blue Peter" type items.

I'm wondering what sort of contraption uses 5 litres of WD40, Tank Towing wire, and a Reliant Steering Box.

Is Escapee a closet escapee from such programs as Scrap Heap Challange.

Escapee
30-08-2004, 17:26
Sell it on eBay ;)

A typical womans view, don't you realise it may come in handy one day!

Anyway if the ex-Girlfriend hadn't gone in there and stashed it all "NEATLY" :rolleyes: I would of know it was there. :D

Is Escapee a closet escapee from such programs as Scrap Heap Challange.

I sometimes dissapear into my workshop and reappear with something made out of the bits that is still a load of scrap!

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 17:32
You sound like my dad :D He keeps jars :disturbd: He often gives me one to take home. I'm not joking. His favourite phrase is, "It'll come in useful". Yeah but when? My mum's as bad - she keeps old magazines and leaflets, including bus timetables. The scary thing is that I've found myself doing similiar things - thinking "Oh that'll come in useful". Noooooooooo. Save me.

Theodoric
30-08-2004, 17:36
I am having a spring clean today to make room for some work around the house. I have been clearing out a small room that is supposed to be a pantry, I have been amazed at the valuable and some missing things that I have found.

New boxed BOC Nitrogen regulator and gauges
2 bl**dy big variable capacitors from a very high power transmitter.
2 new polls of Mig welding wire
5 Litres of new unopened "Yellow" hammerite paint. (ordered specially)
115V compressor
New Transmission Jack (still in box never used)
Reliant Regal steering box
Bond Bug steering box
24 rolls of cloth tape (thrown out by old company 10 years ago cos useless)
1 very large roll of new winch wire. (Tank towing size)
new trailer jockey wheel (bought it urgently about 6 yrs ago for some reason)
4 Leak Thruline Mono FM tuners (collectors items I promised to someone about 18 months ago but couldn't find them)

I have just scratched the surface so far, I'm sure there will be some more gems.

If I hadn't wasted all that money on these things, I could of spent it on something usefull like Beer and Women. :D
Why a nitrogen regulator? My recollection of nitrogen cylinders is that they are very big, extremely heavy and full of, er, nitrogen. To provide an inert atmosphere for the welding, perhaps?

paulyoung666
30-08-2004, 17:38
Why a nitrogen regulator? My recollection of nitrogen cylinders is that they are very big, extremely heavy and full of, er, nitrogen. To provide an inert atmosphere for the welding, perhaps?

nah , you want argon for that ;) :D :D

Escapee
30-08-2004, 17:40
You sound like my dad :D He keeps jars :disturbd: He often gives me one to take home. I'm not joking. His favourite phrase is, "It'll come in useful". Yeah but when? My mum's as bad - she keeps old magazines and leaflets, including bus timetables. The scary thing is that I've found myself doing similiar things - thinking "Oh that'll come in useful". Noooooooooo. Save me.

I inherited it from my grandfather, he used to keep the centres from toilet rolls, jars, McDonalds straws (usefull fro blowing swarf on the milling machine)
Fairy liquid bottles (usefull to make funnels and plastic washers) lolipop sticks (not sure) and basically anything that someone else had thrown out.

You should see our back garden, it was really bad until I filled two skips with metal. Most of it was rusty old angle iron from beds. He also had a very large collection of bolts, the ones used to hold rails together through the fishplates. I am slowly getting rid of stuff but its hard going, he used to bring things back in the house when I threw them out so he could remove all the screws and put them in jars.
I have found things that I threw in the bin years ago and he took them back out.

My mates from the radio club think its great, they come here with a shopping list and useually go away with a big handfull of electronic components, screws, nuts, bolts etc. :D

Escapee
30-08-2004, 17:42

It is used to blow out air spaced coax, first you use a compressor and then nitrogen to expell all the moisture. Some commercial transmitters have continuous nitrogen pumped into the coax to keep moisture out.

See they are usefull. :D

Theodoric
30-08-2004, 17:43
nah , you want argon for that ;) :D :D
Sounds right. I suspect that a welding arc would be hot enough to combine the nitrogen with oxygen to form nitrogen oxides, which wouldn't do the welder any good.

Silent Wings
30-08-2004, 17:44
Your surnames not Steptoe is it ? :D

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 17:45
he used to bring things back in the house when I threw them out so he could remove all the screws and put them in jars.

I have found things that I threw in the bin years ago and he took them back out.

All sounds painfully familiar. It's wood with my dad - just loves wood. It's everywhere and the worrying thing is he knows exactly what bits he has and where they are. You just can't throw stuff out - my mum has tried.

They say it's the war years, when times were hard, that has led to inherent hoarding.

Escapee
30-08-2004, 17:48
All sounds painfully familiar. It's wood with my dad - just loves wood. It's everywhere and the worrying thing is he knows exactly what bits he has and where they are. You just can't throw stuff out - my mum has tried.

They say it's the war years, when times were hard, that has led to inherent hoarding.

Yep, lots of wood!

Even small off-cuts kept in bags, lots of odd rolls of wallpaper as well. I also found lots of new 1970's vintage shirts unopened.

Yes, I did recently come across ration books, honestly :D

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 17:54
Even small off-cuts kept in bags

Yup - same here :disturbd: I mean - what use are they other than firewood??

Ration books though :D

Escapee
30-08-2004, 18:09
Yup - same here :disturbd: I mean - what use are they other than firewood??

Ration books though :D

This is so similar!

Firewood! we had a Parkray solid fuel fire and he would get twigs and branches to light it, not waste that precious wood on lighting a fire :D

I also found a 1938 union card!

Maggy
30-08-2004, 18:17
Ah these people are just ahead of their time.One day we will be forced to recycle and those that hoard will be in the forefront of the movement. ;)

Provided they can be persuaded to actually hand the stuff over to be recycled that is. :D

Ramrod
30-08-2004, 18:18
Escapee.......you're a f*cking wierdo, did you know that? ;) :D

Maggy
30-08-2004, 18:19

:Yikes: You'll have Mick after you for swearing again. :Yikes:

Ramrod
30-08-2004, 19:34
:Yikes: You'll have Mick after you for swearing again. :Yikes:Are we not allowed to swear in that way then? :erm: :confused:
edit--'again'?! :confused: Has he had a go at me for that before? :confused:

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 19:38
Are we not allowed to swear in that way then? :erm: :confused:
edit--'again'?! :confused: Has he had a go at me for that before? :confused:
He's "had a go" before, yes, and I defended you. Something about Nemmy and hand grenades I think - can't remember the thread now.

Marge
30-08-2004, 19:45
Escapee sounds like that old bloke that was on Life Of Grime, the one where the council kept coming round and clearing the house/garden of junk and he kept filling it right back up :erm:

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 19:47
Escapee sounds like that old bloke that was on Life Of Grime, the one where the council kept coming round and clearing the house/garden of junk and he kept filling it right back up :erm:
Mr Trebus - sad story.

Theodoric
30-08-2004, 20:21
I've heard of students pinching traffic cones, but road marking paint . . .

Many of us have a small tin of WD40, but 5 litres!

Whitworth! Whitworth! You'll be mentioning BSF next or (shock! horror!) BA.

paulyoung666
30-08-2004, 20:23
I've heard of students pinching traffic cones, but road marking paint . . .

Many of us have a small tin of WD40, but 5 litres!

Whitworth! Whitworth! You'll be mentioning BSF next or (shock! horror!) BA.

they still have some whitworth bolts in use where i work :erm: :p: :p: :p:

and some unf :disturbd: :disturbd: :p: :p: :p:

Theodoric
30-08-2004, 20:26
they still have some whitworth bolts in use where i work :erm: :p: :p: :p:

and some unf :disturbd: :disturbd: :p: :p: :p:
For a few years in the seventies, before metric threads came in there seemed to be a fashion for UNC and UNF.

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 20:27
It looks like English but, no, makes no sense to me :p: :D

Theodoric
30-08-2004, 20:30
It looks like English but, no, makes no sense to me :p: :D
What, thread terms?

BSF - British Standard Fine
BA - British Association (a small size used in instruments etc)
UNC - Unified Inch Coarse
UNF - Unified Inch Fine

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 20:37
What, thread terms?

BSF - British Standard Fine
BA - British Association (a small size used in instruments etc)
UNC - Unified Inch Coarse
UNF - Unified Inch Fine

Ah right :erm: It's all this "men" stuff involving machinery and grease and welding :confused: Don't understand a word of it :D

Theodoric
30-08-2004, 20:46
Ah right :erm: It's all this "men" stuff involving machinery and grease and welding :confused: Don't understand a word of it :D
Well, I woudn't really recommend welding a thread, but if the urge takes you . . . :)

Maggy
30-08-2004, 20:48
Incog's eyes glaze over as she loses the will to live. :disturbd:

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 20:49
Well, I woudn't really recommend welding a thread, but if the urge takes you . . . :)
Oh. Thread as in the twiddly thing around a screw and not thread as in "forum thread". Make no wonder I was lost :D :rolleyes:

Marge
30-08-2004, 20:59

No No Greencreeper, I used to work for a fastening company and worked with BA, UNC, UNF etc though metric was easier :tu: Ohhh the memories of all the greasy, hairarsed blokes I used to dish out screws to ;)

snodvan
30-08-2004, 21:06

No, not a weirdo at all in my book. Just a normal, careful person with an obvious ability to "mend and fix things". These are skills to be greatly appreciated.

Escapee - you are welcome to come and play in my house garage and lock-up any time. The stuff I have collected would keep you amused for hours.

Anyone want a 2Kw ultrasonic cleaner with a brand new probe? I can't bear to chuck it away (cost originally was a few grand). A bit big for cleaning your Rolex I think.

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 22:42
No No Greencreeper, I used to work for a fastening company and worked with BA, UNC, UNF etc though metric was easier :tu: Ohhh the memories of all the greasy, hairarsed blokes I used to dish out screws to ;)

Well that's destroyed any semblance of masculinity I had :(

:p:

Ramrod
31-08-2004, 13:34
No, not a weirdo at all in my book. Just a normal, careful person with an obvious ability to "mend and fix things". These are skills to be greatly appreciated.So 5 litres of WD40 is normal then?! :erm: :D

zoombini
31-08-2004, 14:13
Anyone want a 2Kw ultrasonic cleaner with a brand new probe? I can't bear to chuck it away

Probe?
PROBE?

I hate to ask, so I shan't!

Sounds like you 2 need to setup Ebay selling accounts.

I'm clearing my loft & i'm doing just that too.
Practical wireless from the 1960's - 1980's
Radcom mags' from the 80's
Valves, valves & more valves & some valve gear.
Valve UHF signal generator, weight similar to an old 21" monitor (size too).
Other ex radio ham collected junk inc several 19" cabinets.

I need a skip (or 2) for all the rubbish I have removed.

Escapee
31-08-2004, 15:56
Probe?
PROBE?

I hate to ask, so I shan't!

Sounds like you 2 need to setup Ebay selling accounts.

I'm clearing my loft & i'm doing just that too.
Practical wireless from the 1960's - 1980's
Radcom mags' from the 80's
Valves, valves & more valves & some valve gear.
Valve UHF signal generator, weight similar to an old 21" monitor (size too).
Other ex radio ham collected junk inc several 19" cabinets.

I need a skip (or 2) for all the rubbish I have removed.

I'm jealous now, my Practical wireless only go back to the 70's. Although there are a few hanging about from the "Camm's comics" days.

Yep, Radcom from the 80's here as well.

Also Model Engineers going back to the late 30's bought by my great grandfather, theres a break during the war years and they start off again in the late 40's with very few missing up to date.

Valves, yep..Big Audio and RF ones 4212H, 3-500Z's, 572B's, 4CX250 etc

I have an old Marconi TF801 sig gen in the attic, solid copper chassis, the amateur radio junk is amazing. Some bargains I have had for over 20 years and not touched. I have a good collection of Racal equipment RA17, 117's and MA79 Transmitter. Also a solid state Redifon 1KW RF amplifier complete with fan tray and 19 inch rack!

To make things worse, I even have the two sheds full in the empty house next door. :D

I have a large 1940's "Archdale" milling machine sat on my driveway, its sat there because its stripped down and still too heavy to move around to my workshop. I am thinking about building a new one around it. It was a bargain and has sat in the same place all greased up with tarpaulins over it since the crane lifted it off the lorry. :D

I won't even mention the 23 or so cars I have, most of them are in garages only a few scrappers littering the garden. My girlfriend is foreign and she said it looks like a "Crap Yard" she meant "Scrap Yard" I didn't know if I ought to correct her or not.

5 Litres of WD40 is the cheapest way to buy it, and it comes with a refillable spray gun!

Doesn't everyone else buy 5 Litre containers then? :D

Don't start me on threads, I can usually remember how many threads per inch for some imperial threads without looking in my zeus book. I blame my grandfather, he used to buy me things like a pair of mole grips for my 10th birthday and bought me a lathe for my 13th.

Theodoric
31-08-2004, 19:18
(a) I'm jealous now, my Practical wireless only go back to the 70's. <Snip>

(b)5 Litres of WD40 is the cheapest way to buy it, and it comes with a refillable spray gun!
Doesn't everyone else buy 5 Litre containers then? :D

(c)Don't start me on threads, I can usually remember how many threads per inch for some imperial threads without looking in my zeus book. I blame my grandfather, he used to buy me things like a pair of mole grips for my 10th birthday and bought me a lathe for my 13th.
(a) Et moi. I've just checked and my earliest volume is May 1972, Vol 48, No 1, Issue 783, price 20p.

(b) Quite possibly, but at a normal rate of usage your umpteenth great grandson would still be using it in AD 3004!

(c) Go on! Live dangerously! I've made a few comments and patiently suffered the insults of those ignorant of the joys of threads.

paulyoung666
31-08-2004, 19:20
snip

Don't start me on threads, I can usually remember how many threads per inch for some imperial threads without looking in my zeus book. I blame my grandfather, he used to buy me things like a pair of mole grips for my 10th birthday and bought me a lathe for my 13th.

ahh the good old zeus book , very useful when i had to get my hands dirty , not so useful now i dont :erm: :D :D :D

Escapee
31-08-2004, 20:11
ahh the good old zeus book , very useful when i had to get my hands dirty , not so useful now i dont :erm: :D :D :D

You'll have me talking about the 14TPI 2 start thread I screwcut recently :D

I better be carefull here or "Gooch" will be after me from my Yipee thread!

One of the ex-A**y guys in work made a milling holder for a Clarkson 30INT holder. (paulyoung666 will know what I'm on about) He did a very nice job on the taper in his lathe but couldn't work out how to cut the thread.
I said bring it in and i'll have a look. he said no you cant its a special thread.

I took one look and said, oh its only a 2 start. I explained how I could think of 2 ways to tackle it was a very difficult job, but I took it home and did a superb job taking me a few hours. Him being someone who knows everything was a bit put out, and when I gave it to him he said 'huh thats good, You didn't do that" :D

Some people are never satisfied!

Maggy
31-08-2004, 22:34
I havea fascinating repair shop in my village.It has every kind of TV and radio for at least the last 70 years and I believe the chap will do his best to repair anything someone takes in.He doesn't promise results and he can't give a time frame because he has to wait to find parts.It's a real treasure trove every time I look in his window.

I also believe that there is STILL a radio and TV museum on the isle of Wight.

What I'm saying is instead of hoarding this stuff why not pass it on to those who WILL use it.Unless you really are going to stop prevaricating and actually use any of it of course.Before you pop your clogs of course.But if you are just keeping it in the vague hope it will come in handy it won't.It never does until you finally dispose of it and then that's when you find someone has a need of it.So why not sell it or offer it on eBay then it will find a home with someone who CAN use it. :)

zoombini
01-09-2004, 09:10
It WILL come in handy some day, it WILL get used in a few years when I get "aroundtuit" :D

Oh no it bloomimg well hasn't!
It's all been up there in me loft for +/-17 years gathering dust.
Had a fair amount of magazines, metal & clothing to be recycled.
The C64/spectrum's next on the hitlist, I can't be bothered to sell them on ebay.
I cannot imagine how much the wife is going to crib when I get down all the camping gear et all that I actually want to keep.

SMHarman
01-09-2004, 10:01
<snip>
What I'm saying is instead of hoarding this stuff why not pass it on to those who WILL use it.Unless you really are going to stop prevaricating and actually use any of it of course.<snip>
Of course the minute you throw some of this stuff away something will find you need what you just binned to repair something.

Nugget
01-09-2004, 10:24
Ohhh the memories of all the greasy, hairarsed blokes I used to dish out screws to ;)

:shocked:

You used to do what Debsy?

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

greencreeper
01-09-2004, 11:04
Of course the minute you throw some of this stuff away something will find you need what you just binned to repair something.

Yeah. x is missing so you chuck it - and find x :( I've done that many times before.

:shocked:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I was too shocked to mention it, this being a family forum :no:

Escapee
01-09-2004, 13:32
I havea fascinating repair shop in my village.It has every kind of TV and radio for at least the last 70 years and I believe the chap will do his best to repair anything someone takes in.He doesn't promise results and he can't give a time frame because he has to wait to find parts.It's a real treasure trove every time I look in his window.

I also believe that there is STILL a radio and TV museum on the isle of Wight.

What I'm saying is instead of hoarding this stuff why not pass it on to those who WILL use it.Unless you really are going to stop prevaricating and actually use any of it of course.Before you pop your clogs of course.But if you are just keeping it in the vague hope it will come in handy it won't.It never does until you finally dispose of it and then that's when you find someone has a need of it.So why not sell it or offer it on eBay then it will find a home with someone who CAN use it. :)

My problem is I do repair a lot of old gear, I have an enormous amount of electronic components and its a bit like having jars full of screws, nuts, washers, bolts etc. You never know which size you need until you strip everything down and faultfind. The big difference is though, unlike screws, nuts and bolts etc, you can't just pop down the road and pick some up. Some of these valves can cost a lot of money and some items are just unobtainable. I have thrown out loads of stuff over the years and usualy a few months later lived to regret it.

It's a bit like my ex-girlfriend, when she would say "what do you want that box with 1000 of 1K resistors, you will never use them all" I would say "Why do you want all those kniting needles and all those different balls of wool and reels of cotton you will never use it all"

I take great pleasure in dissapearing into my workshop and coming out with something made out of a pile of crap, bits of this and bits of that made into something that works. I have made countless radio receivers, transmitters, alarm circuits, optical circuits etc, and I get much satisfaction from it.
My latest laser speed gun detector has provided a lot of fun, and it was all made apart from the photo transistor from items out of my junk box.
long live us Fred Dibnah's, it's just a pity that mechanical/electrical/electronic skills are dying out to a nation who tap away at their keyboard. :rolleyes:

PS: I found 3 clarke Stirrup pumps for a pump up radio mast this morning! :D

greencreeper
01-09-2004, 23:41
Have you thought of art? Seriously - weld a few bits together and give Tate Modern a call. Express your inner id and all that through your "junk".

StewPttr
17-12-2004, 23:59
Hi,

if you still have the toolbox full of whitworth spanners, then I would be glad to
take them off your hands for a reasonable price. Please contact me by e-mail
at (admin edit (Russ) - posting your details on a public forum is never a good idea, probably best to only given them out via PM)
If they have long gone, then please forgive me for asking.

Thanks,

Stewart K Potter

daxx
18-12-2004, 02:01
No No Greencreeper, I used to work for a fastening company and worked with BA, UNC, UNF etc though metric was easier Ohhh the memories of all the greasy, hairarsed blokes I used to dish out screws to
four months on

You calmed down yet debsy:erm:

or is it 'Santa's' this month?:D

Richard M
18-12-2004, 02:03
Ohhh the memories of all the greasy, hairarsed blokes I used to dish out screws to ;)

Hehe, I think I must have missed this one...:D

Escapee
18-12-2004, 12:16
Hi,

if you still have the toolbox full of whitworth spanners, then I would be glad to
take them off your hands for a reasonable price. Please contact me by e-mail
at (admin edit (Russ) - posting your details on a public forum is never a good idea, probably best to only given them out via PM)
If they have long gone, then please forgive me for asking.

Thanks,

Stewart K Potter
Sadly I still use my whitworth spanners, and I am always looking out for such things at autojumbles.

I have a lot of old cars and machinery so they come in usefull.