PDA

View Full Version : Using USB Connection but Want to Use Ethernet

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 11:41
Hi all Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m in need of some help, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m by no means a novice but Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m not an expert either.:(

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve just upgraded my computer stack to one with Asus K8V Motherboard + AMD Athlon 300 64 Bit CPU

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m running Windows XP Home & connect to NTL Broadband 600mbps through a Set Top Box.

On my old stack I didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have an ethernet card so my connection had to be via an AEI USB TO Fast Ethernet Adaptor.

My new computer has a Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/100oBase-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45 but I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t get it to connect :confused: so Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m still using the AEI USB TO Fast Ethernet Adaptor which by the way works perfectly well.

Its just that I would like to use my ethernet port for its intended purpose & it will also free up my USB port.

What have I tried so far, well I went into Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection for my Marvell Yukon Ethernet Device

I tried the configure key but it said I would need to contact my network administrator

I have all my internet connection settings so in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties and entered all my connection settings, IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway & DNS Servers.

There was nowhere to put the Physical Address or DHCP Server though?

When Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d done this in my Local Area Connection Status Properties I seemed to be getting packets sent but none received & couldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t connect to the internet or email.

In Internet Explore/Tools/ Lan settings Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m set to Automatically detect settings.

I thought Windows would just Automatically sort it all for me, but hopefully I think I maybe on the right track & with some expert guidance from yourselves Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m hoping to solve the problem.

Eagerly awaiting your advice

Yours Stan :)

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 11:45
You should just need to set it to be all assigned by DHCP. Once you've done this, reboot STB, then your PC. You should get a 10.x.x.x IP address. Then in IE goto start.ntl.com, and you should be taken to the provisioning page - you'll need to add your pc, and you'll also need your account PID & password

Edit - make sure you don't have a proxy specified in IE, as that prevents you getting to the provisioning pages

Chris W
30-08-2004, 11:47
You need to set the ethernet connection to automatic discovery of settings (ip and dns). Then when you have done this, you will need to turn off the STB, leave it off for 30 seconds, then connect the ethernet cable into the pc, and reboot.

Check what ip address you are getting- it should start 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If it does, open a browser window and type "start.ntl" (without quotes) and follow the instructions for registering the new device.

Is it a PACE or Samsung box?

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 11:53
Thanks for the rapid response guys:)

it's a Pace box by the way

I'll give your solutions a go & feedback cheers

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 12:06
Thanks for the rapid response guys:)

it's a Pace box by the way

I'll give your solutions a go & feedback cheers
Well i would but i i said i'm not an expert so

Kneebs - You should just need to set it to be all assigned by DHCP. How?

monkeybreath - You need to set the ethernet connection to automatic discovery of settings (ip and dns). How?

zoombini
30-08-2004, 12:07
And don't throw the USB adapter away, you never know when it might come in handy ;)

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 12:12
Well i would but i i said i'm not an expert so

Kneebs - You should just need to set it to be all assigned by DHCP. How?

monkeybreath - You need to set the ethernet connection to automatic discovery of settings (ip and dns). How?

We're both referring to the same thing - in TCP/IP properties (where I presume you manually set the IP addy, subnet mask etc) - there should be a check box for obtaining an IP address automatically, and also one for the DNS. Check them both, then do as we said earlier :)

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 13:14
Well i'm back but i've had to restore my USB connection to get back online.

Followed your instructions to the letter & a message came up saying "You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"

When i looked in the network connection details, it had given me a
Physical Address
IP Address 169.xxx.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask

But did not give
Default Gateway
Dns Server
Wins server

I was offered a Repair Option & it said "Windows is renewing your IP Address"
It then said windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed. Renewing your IP Address.

I repeat the whole thing again in case of a mistake - same result

My usual IP Adress by the way is 80.x.xx.xx if that helps in any way

Had to go through the same senario to restore my USB connection & that worked first time?

So i'm back in your hands guys:(

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 13:17
the 169.x.x.x ip address is one that gets assigned by windows, when unable to get one via dhcp.

what model of STB is it - it may be that you need a crossover adaptor - if so, it will have x-over or crossover printed or it will be on sticker where the ethernet port is on the back of the STB. You should have got a crossover adaptor as part of your BB welcome pack from NTL.

HTH

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 13:24
Hi Kneebs, as i said before its a Pace box one of the original i think. It has a crossover adapter already fitted.

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 13:35
When you disconnect the cable (or switch off the STB for that matter), does windows tell you that a network cable is unplugged ? If not, there's something up with the connection. Just to double check, but you did reboot the STB, then the PC ?

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 13:43
When you disconnect the cable (or switch off the STB for that matter), does windows tell you that a network cable is unplugged ? If not, there's something up with the connection. Just to double check, but you did reboot the STB, then the PC ?
Yes it does. I shutdown my computer & unplugged my cable from the USB Adapter & pluged it into my ethernet port. I shutdown my Set top box for 30 seconds & then restarted it. I then restarted my computer. I still had my USB Adapter pluged in though.

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 13:51
In device manager for Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/100oBase-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45 in the ADVANCED tab there are various settings & their values. The only value not filled in is the Network Address. What would happen if i just put my current Network address in, it's 10.xxx.xx.xxx Will it be the same for the ethernet as the USB?

Marge
30-08-2004, 13:51
Jumping in here, leave the box off for at least a minute, have just the cable going into the STB and take the USB Adaptor off

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 13:52
I still had my USB Adapter pluged in though.

I dont think that would've made a difference, but its maybe worth a try removing it.

Do you have a firewall running - I don't think this would affect it, as I'm sure windows tries to get the ip address before any programs start running, but its worth a try shutting it down if you've got one when you're trying to repair the connection in XP.

Apart from that, I'm at a loss as to why you're getting a 169 address, especially as the connection is there between the pc & STB.

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 13:55
In device manager for Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/100oBase-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45 in the ADVANCED tab there are various settings & their values. The only value not filled in is the Network Address. What would happen if i just put my current Network address in, it's 10.xxx.xx.xxx Will it be the same for the ethernet as the USB?

You've got a 10.x.x.x IP address for the netowrk connection ? If so, thats fine - just go to start.ntl.com, and you should be taken to the provisioning page

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 14:44
Hi all again, just been crawling about on the floor again unplugging, pluggin in, turning on/off, rebooting etc :(

1st many thanks for all your suggestions :) :) :)

I've tried & double tried all your sugestions but they don't seem to work.
I'm back to my trusty USB connection, but if anyone has any more suggestions i'd be grateful.

Cheers all Stan

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 14:48
Stan, what were you referring to when you said you had a 10.x.x.x ip address - IP addresses starting with 10.x.x.x are temporary ones assigned by the dhcp server, where you'd be directed to the provisioning page when you try to access a website ?

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 15:01
Kneebs
No i hadn't been given it just then it's whats in my LOCAL AREA CONECTION STATUS/Support Tab/ Network Connection Details (whilst running off the USB connection)
I just thought it might be the same address when using the ethernet connection

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 15:03
In fact looking again its my DHCP Server 10.xxx.xx.xxx

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 15:36
Sorry, Iim fresh out of idesa... I'm at a loss as to why its not getting the IP address..

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 15:54
I have all my internet connection settings so in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties and entered all my connection settings, IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway & DNS Servers.

There was nowhere to put the Physical Address or DHCP Server though?

Like others have said, set Windows to obtain an IP address/DNS automatically. What Windows will do is first find a DHCP server by sending out a general plea for a DHCP server to respond, then it will ask the DHCP server all the relevant connection information, including the IP address. If Windows cannot find or cannot connect to a DHCP server, maybe because of a firewall, it will assign a temporary address.

My approach would be to clear all the network settings - de-network the PC completely. Switch off the modem or STB. Put the network settings back (autodetect the IP and DNS as others have said), turn on the modem/STB, and reboot the PC.

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 18:00
Thanks greenkeeper :) but no joy :(

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 18:04
Thanks greenkeeper :) but no joy :(
<mutters obscentities about XP>

:p:

Chris W
30-08-2004, 18:33
You are getting the correct ip if it starts 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but you will need to provision the ethernet card to allow access. Try again accessing start.ntl through your browser, i will also find the ip address of the provisioning server, as that may well let you get there instead.

Marge
30-08-2004, 18:42

any of those should work

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 18:57
monkeybreath & debs

How do i provision my ethernet card i've had a look and can't see what to do & where would i put those provisioning addresses you supplied?

I'm obviously still on my USB at the moment & tried www.start.ntl (http://www.start.ntl/) as a test just to see what would come up & it wouldn't connect?

quadplay
30-08-2004, 19:05
Hi Stan,

ISTR, that you can only get to the provisioning page if you have an IP beginning 10... (Though I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!)

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 19:06
In fact looking again its my DHCP Server 10.xxx.xx.xxx

Debsy / MB, the 10.x.x.x address was actually the dhcp server, whilst connected via USB.

Stan, until you (somehow !!) get an actual IP addy of 10.x.x.x through the LAN card, those provisioning server ip addresses (which is where you'd end up if you entered start.ntl) won't work :(

quadplay
30-08-2004, 19:15
Ahh, OK... Hmm...

Right-o Stan, try this with the Ethernet cable connected and the USB adapter unplugged:

Click Start, then Run. Enter cmd into the Open box, and click OK. In the black box that pops up, and after everything that's already there, enter netsh int ip reset log.txt and press Enter. Then reboot and see if you've got an IP address starting with 10. If that hasn't worked, do the following:

Click Start, then Run. Enter cmd into the Open box, and click OK. In the black box that pops up, and after everything that's already there, enter ipconfig /renew. You'll probably get one of two responses. Either "Unable to contact DHCP server: Timed Out" or "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket". If it's the first, it's probably the NIC (Ethernet card) in the PC (since we can be pretty sure it's not the Ethernet cable, and it's probably not the STB either since it works via USB) - have you got something else you can test it with? If it's the second, it's Windows, and a fix is available from Microsoft KnowledgeBase Article 817571 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571)

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 19:25
jimbo, i'm just printing out you reply for when i switch off.

Question, whilst i follow your fix & it doesn't work will i still be able to go back to my USB settings.

quadplay
30-08-2004, 19:32
Yes you will - neither of those commands make drastic changes to your settings.

EDIT: Oooh, 200th post.

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 20:03
Ahh, OK... Hmm...

Right-o Stan, try this with the Ethernet cable connected and the USB adapter unplugged:

Click Start, then Run. Enter cmd into the Open box, and click OK. In the black box that pops up, and after everything that's already there, enter netsh int ip reset log.txt and press Enter. Then reboot and see if you've got an IP address starting with 10. If that hasn't worked, do the following:

Click Start, then Run. Enter cmd into the Open box, and click OK. In the black box that pops up, and after everything that's already there, enter ipconfig /renew. You'll probably get one of two responses. Either "Unable to contact DHCP server: Timed Out" or "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket". If it's the first, it's probably the NIC (Ethernet card) in the PC (since we can be pretty sure it's not the Ethernet cable, and it's probably not the STB either since it works via USB) - have you got something else you can test it with? If it's the second, it's Windows, and a fix is available from Microsoft KnowledgeBase Article 817571 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571)
Tried first bit & nothing although where would i be looking for the ip address starting with 10
I suppose i should have asked this first
Tried the second tip & got DHCP server: Timed Out" just as you said

Thanks for your help but i really have to go now but will try again ASAP:) :)

If you or anyone elser can give me more help i wolud be realy gratefull but i need it in very simple detailed steps:confused: :(

Thanks ALL Stan

quadplay
30-08-2004, 20:20
Sorry, should have told you not to expect any response from the netsh command, just to reboot after doing it! You can find your IP address by typing ipconfig on its own in that black window. I was expecting the "Timed Out" message to be honest, which probably means that your NIC is having trouble communicating with the STB...

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 20:30
I was expecting the "Timed Out" message to be honest, which probably means that your NIC is having trouble communicating with the STB...
(XP) Firewall maybe?

Kneebs
30-08-2004, 20:38
(XP) Firewall maybe?

I thought perhaps it could be that, but I'd imagine it would try to get the network ip addy first, before starting the firewall

greencreeper
30-08-2004, 20:46
I thought perhaps it could be that, but I'd imagine it would try to get the network ip addy first, before starting the firewall
You mean acquire an IP address, then start the firewall running? The firewall starts first and then the DHCP negotiation stuff starts. The IP address lease needs to be renewed at some point, so that has to get past the firewall.

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 23:04
Great to see everyone still trying to solve my problem :) :)

A suggestion put to me was to use my NTL BROADBAND INSTALLER DISC

I'll give anything a go!

Marge
30-08-2004, 23:11
A suggestion put to me was to use my NTL BROADBAND INSTALLER DISC

I'll give anything a go!

Sorry but that won't make any difference at all, very strange all this, it's usually a lot easier than installing with USB

Stan the Man
30-08-2004, 23:25
Sorry but that won't make any difference at all, very strange all this, it's usually a lot easier than installing with USB
Cheers Debs ;) :(

I'll see what other sugestions turn up - bye

Chris W
30-08-2004, 23:26
Ok, to get your connection working on ethernet follow these steps:
1. Turn off you STB
2. shutdown your computer and disconnect the usb cable but do not connect the ethernet cable to the pc.
3. Wait 1 minute
4. Turn back on the set top box, and wait for the two lights in the centre display to go solid
5. When they do, turn on your tv, and from a normal viewing screen, press page up, then page down, then blue. When the network status page appears, press "more" until you get to page 3, then check that "conn status" says "connected." Press close.
6. Connect the ethernet cable to the pc. Then startup the pc.
7. Disable any firewall and antivirus software
8. Go to start, then run, the type cmd. Press ok. Then in the black dos window, type ipconfig and press return. If you see an ip address starting with 10, close the dos window.
9. Then open your browser (ie internet explorer or outlook express)
10. Type the address in as start.ntl - NB- no www or .com, just start.ntl
11. Enter your PID and password and press continue.
12. Enter a name for your computer, it is best to stick with "pc1" or something similar.
13. When the process is complete, Shutdown the computer again, and turn off the STB. Then repeat steps 3, 4 and 5.
14. When you turn the pc back on, you should be online with the ethernet connection.

Possible problem stages:
4 & 5, if the two lights do not go solid after a couple of minutes, or the network status is not showing connected, contact technical support on 0845 650 0125. I doubt that this will go wrong, because if it is working on usb, it should lock onto the signal on ethernet.
8, if the ip address showing starts with 169, try rebooting the computer. As it is restarting, tap F8 on the keyboard until you get the windows startup menu, and chose "safe mode with networking" and then check the ip address again. This will ensure that the firewall is not interfering with the connection. If it does work, continue through provisioning in safe mode with networking.
10, If you get no luck when typing start.ntl, try typing 172.16.30.84 or 172.16.30.83 and then you should be able to get to the provisioning page.
11, If you cannot remember your PID number or password, then contact customer service (151 from your ntl phone) or technical support to confirm these details.
14, If you can't get a connection after rebooting, check the ip address again (step 8). It should now start 62/80/81/82 or 213. If you still cannot browse, try disabling your firewall, and if you still get no joy, reboot into safe mode with networking and try again.

And if it is still not working... post back with which steps you had problems with and we will take it from there ;)

MB

Stan the Man
31-08-2004, 00:45
monkeybreath your instructions were faultless & just the kind i'm looking for :)

However i'm back on the old USB here's my feedback

Point 5 Did as you said & got to user information page 3 - this is what was on it
Hardware Type: DITV1000
Hardware Version: PI.3.1.PO.CR3
Card Status 5
QOS: silver.cm

then the set top box date etc - no mention of the conn status

Did i get the wrong pages as you said they were called Network Status & mine Said User Information

anyway i carried on
Point 6 connected my cable to ethernet port & there a flashing light came on next to my ethernet port like its connected even though my computer off.
Point 7 i definately shut them both straight down
Point 8 Did it & got
Auto configuration address 169.254.110.75
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0.

So tried to start in safe mode & i've just got a new Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard & no matter how much i pressed F8 on reboot it will not go into safe mode - can't win can i :(

So anyway, questions
Why did my set top box not show what you said it would
What do i do with the keyboard for safemode (how ever i'm definately turning of Firewall & Anti virus) i read the keyboard instructions as well
Was i too slow writing down the info i found on the set top box before starting my computer.

Can u see anything i'm doing wrong?

I'll give it all another go tomorrow

Cheers - Stan :)

Chris W
31-08-2004, 01:33
Sorry... should have said before... status 5 on the STB means that it is connected- so that should be fine :)

I have never seen anything apart from F8 to get into windows safe mode... but as the pc is booting it may well say hit XX to for windows startup options.

With windows XP it might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling your network card, connect everything up using the ethernet, and then go to start, control panel, [performance and maintenance if you are in category view], system, then hardware. Click on device manager.

You will then be given a list of devices installed on the pc, look down for network adaptors and click on the +. You should then see your network card in there. Right click on it and chose uninstall. It will then probably prompt you to restart. Do this regardless of whether you get the prompt. Then when you reboot windows will find the ethernet card again and reinstall the drivers. If you have a driver disk for you network card (ie if you installed it on the pc yourself) then make sure you have this in when you reboot.

Then check the ip address again and cross your fingers that it is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

If you are still not getting a 10 ip, then go into the network connections, right click on the one for your network card, and chose properties. You will then be presented with a list of items eg

Client for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing
QOS packet scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Is this the list that you have or do you have anything missing/ additional items?

Also i don't supose by any chance that you have installed windows XP service pack 2 have you....?

greencreeper
31-08-2004, 02:21
So tried to start in safe mode & i've just got a new Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard & no matter how much i pressed F8 on reboot it will not go into safe mode - can't win can i :(

Hmmm. Is it covered in buttons this keyboard? Looks like something from Nasa? Do the Function keys (F1 and so on) have pictures on them? If so, there's a button somewhere called "F lock" - on mine it's to the left of the Esc[ape] key. You need to press that button before the Function keys behave as normal, otherwise F8 stops the current track (e.g. on a CD). It's one of my pet hates :mad:

Stan the Man
01-09-2004, 00:09
Hi monkeybreath & greenkeeper & everyone else as well :)

I've been working late so just got in to receive comments & got working on them, that was about an hour ago
so!

I uninstalled the ethernet connection & when rebooted there it was again , it didn't ask for drivers or nothing

From that list i have no - QOS packet scheduler

I went on to start in safe mode (many thanks for that info) and did a RUN/CMD/IPCONFIG & all i got was a 169
Infrustration i went through the set top box power down again + reboot & to my amazement i was connected :tu: :confused: :)
I quickly jotted down my new ip address 10.xx.xx.xxx Subnet mask & dafault gateway
It was then when i pressed internet explorer that i was automatically taken to the ****** page (can't remember what it was called i'm v tired) didn't need to do start.ntl or nothing
Typed in my PID & password, I WAS ASKED TO GIVE THE COMPUTER A NAME gave the computer a name on usb it was Z4MOL2 changed it to Z4MOL
Told me to shutdown computer - reboot my box - restart my computer
and hey presto :( got a 169 again :mad:
really fed up now, i tried several more reboots etc to no avail.
Went back to USB connected straight away & here i am typing this out to you now
I thought it was a success story & congratulations all round but alas no :(

Anyway it proved it works but didn't stay connected, so what do i do next i beg :erm:

Going to bed shortly i shattered now wiil look for feedback tomorrow

again all my thanks - please stay with me STAN

Stan the Man
01-09-2004, 00:26
Oh and yes i forgot - SP2 is installed - firewalls off as i use Zone Alarm

greencreeper
01-09-2004, 00:32
Oh and yes i forgot - SP2 is installed - firewalls off as i use Zone Alarm

Zone Alarm or Zone Alarm Pro, and which version?

Chris W
01-09-2004, 01:44
So the provisioning for the network card seems to be completed, but if you PM me your pid number i can double check that tomorrow.

If you now reboot again and connect by ethernet and reboot into safe mode with networking, i reckon you will get a valid ip address and be able to browse normally.

Sounds to me like Zone Alarm or windows wonderful new security centre or a combination of both is blocking the dhcp requests when you are running in normal windows. If this the case, normally an uninstall and reinstall of ZA when using the ethernet connection (or indeed with nothing connected at all) will resolve this.

greencreeper
01-09-2004, 11:00
Sounds to me like Zone Alarm or windows wonderful new security centre or a combination of both is blocking the dhcp requests when you are running in normal windows. If this the case, normally an uninstall and reinstall of ZA when using the ethernet connection (or indeed with nothing connected at all) will resolve this

If the XP firewall is also running I would expect it to cause problems with ZA. If the version of ZA is 5, then it needs to be removed and replaced with a version that, er, works :) I'm on version 4, though I believe there's a version 6. I'm avoiding it like the plague though. Reinstalling ZA is a bit drastic - a simple bit of tweaking of the firewall will be enough, but first turn it off and see if the connection works with it off.

Stan the Man
02-09-2004, 01:30
Hi all again, i know it's late but i have a tale to tell

Noticed the mention about Zone Alarm (i've got basic)
I had been turning it off everytime but i thought what the hell & unistalled it.

I had a previous copy of ZA Version 4.5 so i thought i'd put that on instead. Thats when the fun started, i was asked was i home , beginer, family etc & once i'd done all that it was going to start but (& i think Windows Firewall had started when i uninstalled ZA) it BLUE SCREENED ON ME :shocked: . Wow XP hardly ever does that but it did. The Message was something like "Windows has detected something that can cause damage to your system & will close & it did this every time i restarted.
Tried SAFE MODE & it froze with all the lines of script showing every time.:confused:

Seeking advice by phone i found the RESTORE TO LAST WORKING TIME or something like that instead of SAFE MODE.
This got me going but i had no firewall.
When i got back on the first thing i did was back up my recent stuff & now i'm a lot happier :)
I tried to inhstal it again & BLUE SCREEN
Did as before & back on.
Now i ran system restore to take me back 2 days - still no firewall?
Dare not do anything else at this momeny other than let you know whats gone on

Getting like a soap opera this is :erm:

Anyway its late yet again my system limping along what next.

I'm tempted to run my ghost disc of i got with my new system?????

Goodnight all

greencreeper
02-09-2004, 01:47
:D

XP firewall should not "just start" of its own free will, though who knows these days :erm:

Zone Alarm - try removing it using the "clean" option. Make sure the XP firewall is definitely off though.

Shutdown Zone Alarm (disconnect from the Net first though)
Find this file "zauninst.exe" - it will be in the main Zone Alarm directory
Make a note of the path - e.g. c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\
Click Start... then choose "Run"
In the Run box, put:

EXAMPLE
"c:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

Change the path to the one you noted down. The "" quotes are needed, as is /clean - note the direction of the slash is forward. Press "Ok"
Zone Alarm should now cleanly uninstall, leaving you free to reboot and reinstall

quadplay
02-09-2004, 12:48
Hi Stan,

SP2 has problems with ZoneAlarm version 4.5 - more details at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 - but basically, the blue screen (known in Windows NT, 2k and XP as a STOP error) you are getting may be down to that incompatibility. It's probably better to install the most recent version anyway.

greencreeper
02-09-2004, 15:45
Hi Stan,

SP2 has problems with ZoneAlarm version 4.5 - more details at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 - but basically, the blue screen (known in Windows NT, 2k and XP as a STOP error) you are getting may be down to that incompatibility. It's probably better to install the most recent version anyway.
Oh great - XP doesn't work with security products :rolleyes: I guess it MS trying to force users to use their firewall. And people still sing the praises of XP and say no problems with SP2 :no:

Version 5 of Zone Alarm (including Pro) was rubbish - just didn't work. The recommendation was to return to 4.5. A new version has been released (5.1 I think) but given that it took me a long time to restore all my settings last time, I won't be upgrading at the moment. Try it and see.

Stan the Man
02-09-2004, 20:27
Hi managed somehow to get back (reinstall) Zone Alarm 5.1 for now will return to trying my ethernet connection over the weekend when i've got the time.

Wished i'd read the incompatibility issues, thanks for the info. :)

Service pack 2 could turn out to be a nightmare for people :mad:

Regards Stan

peacedude2k4
05-09-2004, 20:45
And after reading all that lot i shall now stick with my usb I pop in a cd...plug in my usb modem installs...i dont install the crap on cd...i am then online....

simple :D

greencreeper
05-09-2004, 20:53
And after reading all that lot i shall now stick with my usb I pop in a cd...plug in my usb modem installs...i dont install the crap on cd...i am then online....

simple :D
Coward :p:

9/10 Ethernet setup is a doddle. XP and SP2 do seem to be throwing a spanner in the works though.

Stan the Man
05-09-2004, 23:08
So the provisioning for the network card seems to be completed, but if you PM me your pid number i can double check that tomorrow.

If you now reboot again and connect by ethernet and reboot into safe mode with networking, i reckon you will get a valid ip address and be able to browse normally
Well have tried everyones advice so far & it's not a doddle i can assure u. I think i'm a one off. I've tried again over the weekend repeating most of the previous (not the Zone Alarm thing though :disturbd:) back on 5.1 & things ok

monkeybreath, was my PIP OK & accepted etc? :confused:

Reinstalled my ethernet drivers from the Asus Motherboard CD didn't make a blind bit of difference :(

I'm going too seek latest drivers for my Yukon ethernet card & try again

Don't understand it - i did get to the provisioning page & get a internet address - could it be my set top box?????????????????

Although after all my experiments when i reboot it always finds my USB :confused: :dozey: :)

Chris W
05-09-2004, 23:15
The PID number showed that you have successfully provisioned the ethernet card.

Try booting back into safe mode with networking when connected on the ethernet, and see if you can browse normally then.

Marge
05-09-2004, 23:23
The only time I've come across problems with ethernet is ermmmmm never. Occasionally it doesn't work is if the STB hasn't been unplugged long enough after provisioning , I always leave it for at least a minute........

Stan the Man
06-09-2004, 00:16
The only time I've come across problems with ethernet is ermmmmm never. Occasionally it doesn't work is if the STB hasn't been unplugged long enough after provisioning , I always leave it for at least a minute........
Thanks monkeybreath i've repeated what you recommend but without success :(

Debs i reformatted my sons computer on Saturday (my old one) he's also on NTL. Put XP & everything back on. When i took it to his house he just plugged his set top box lead in and away it went. Straight onto the net. No power down of set top box, no broadband cd nothing. I'm intrigued to know how that can work :confused: . He's a USB Adapter as well, obviously if its my old Stack:dozey:

Kneebs
06-09-2004, 00:26
Stan, how about taking your PC to your sons, and hooking his STB to your PC, via ethernet, and see if you get a connection there ? If that works, what about trying your sons PC with your STB (again, via ethernet)

Stan the Man
06-09-2004, 19:06
Stan, how about taking your PC to your sons, and hooking his STB to your PC, via ethernet, and see if you get a connection there ? If that works, what about trying your sons PC with your STB (again, via ethernet)
Hi Kneebs sounds like worth giving it a go, if i don't have any sucess this week i will.

As for his on mine, well i mentioned in my frst post "On my old stack I didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have an ethernet card so my connection had to be via an AEI USB TO Fast Ethernet Adaptor" & that is his one now.
Jusy reading the post from peacedude & he's having exactly the same problems as me. Are there others out there with the same problem & is there a link?

PS2NUT
07-09-2004, 14:05
Hi Kneebs sounds like worth giving it a go, if i don't have any sucess this week i will.

As for his on mine, well i mentioned in my frst post "On my old stack I didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have an ethernet card so my connection had to be via an AEI USB TO Fast Ethernet Adaptor" & that is his one now.
Jusy reading the post from peacedude & he's having exactly the same problems as me. Are there others out there with the same problem & is there a link?

I'm having issues, today tried it again with two different types of ethernet lead, also rebooted and check services ( i disabled some to tweak up performance ) still nothing, i'm going ot check other things but im having some issues here, but the computer is recognising the sacm, i wonder if perhaps with me installing the net as usb could it prevent it working ethernet :( .

Then again how do i remove it all, and how do i install again :dozey: I have broadstart cd do i just run that for usb if it all goes hell up?

edit: screeny showing which ethernet card im using

Stan the Man
17-10-2004, 17:09
Hi all :) i started this thread way back in August & had virtually given up on trying to get my computer connected by ethernet & have been happily plodding along with my trusty USB connection.

Well there's been development on the subject so i thought i better let you know about it and hopefully it may help others.

Whilst looking on the Windows Update site for updates (yes i prefer to do it manually then i know whats going on) i spotted one for my Mavell Yukon ethernet device entitled:
"Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller" :Yikes:

When i used to look for it in device manager it was known on my computer as a "Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/100oBase-T Adapter"

Anyway i installed the update and wondered if it would make any difference when tring to use my ethernet port to access the internet :confused:

Well i powered down my computer
powered down my set top box
removed my usb adapter & pluged the lead into my ethernet port
powered up my stb
powered up my computer
then i waited for it to boot up thinking i've done this so many times before without any sucess :(

typed in my password and clicked on internet explorer &....................................... :shocked: wow it connected straight away :) :) :)

Anyway i wrote down all the connection details, remembering i had got to this point before & when when i powered down/up it never connected again i thought i beter try powering down again to see what happen. Well i've repeated it a few times now & each time i'm straight online so i think the problems solved :D :D :D

I had prieviously loaded new drivers from the Marvell site to no avail, i can only assume the Windows Update contained new drivers that actually work with XP
I'd just like to say thanks to monkeybreath, Debsy42, greenkeeper, kneebs, jimbo & everyone for all your help, hope your all well
Yours gratefully
Stan :) ;)

quadplay
17-10-2004, 17:13
Good to know it worked out in the end! :D

homealone
17-10-2004, 17:22
And nice of you to post back & let everyone who tried to help, know you got it sorted - nice one :tu:

greencreeper
17-10-2004, 23:29
A driver update can work wonders :D Glad it's sorted.