I'm in Swindon, and i just cant connect to any kind of FTP Server, i just get:

Connected to *bla*.
Connection closed by remote host.

Everything else is fine, just FTP :(

Any ideas?

-Raz

greencreeper
29-08-2004, 18:23
That error means the server you're connecting to has dropped the connection. Usually it's because you don't have permission to connect, or the server is limiting connections.

Which servers have you tried? There are an awful lot of them :)

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 18:26
can you not get onto your ntl webspace either , assuming you are on ntl :D :D :D

RazorD
29-08-2004, 22:19
Nah, im a web server administrator, so i know its not the webserver ;)

Ive tried my own server (which i know other people can connect too!) and get nowhere, ftp.newaol.com (ftp://ftp.newaol.com) (aol's ftp) which does the same...

I dont use my ntl space, but ill take a look at how to connect to it, see what happens.

Kneebs
29-08-2004, 22:43
I take it you're using a firewall - have you tried closing the firewall on your pc, just to make sure thats not the cause - unless I add ntls upload server to the trusted zones on zonealarm, I cant transfer any files, but it does let me login though...

punky
29-08-2004, 22:57
The only thing I ever really encountered that produces that area is if your IP has been banned by the server daemon. You should check with your own server and others to see if you haven't been banned.

What client do you use? Because i've noticed this thing is getting a bit more common (especially with Mac clients). It also happens with a lot of these 3rd party downloaders like GetRight, and I believe Mozilla. I've noticed that they all seem to open multiple connections when you connect to an FTP (and i'm not talking passive connections, it is another true login). 99% of the time, server daemons auto ban when they recieve 2 simultaneous connections attempt.

Incidently, if anyone knows of a good, free, Mac FPT client, that works (browses then transfers) only using one connection, please let me know. To stop getting banned I have to disconnect from a site then start the transfer queue going which is a bitch if the server is busy. Ta.

paulyoung666
29-08-2004, 23:23
I take it you're using a firewall - have you tried closing the firewall on your pc, just to make sure thats not the cause - unless I add ntls upload server to the trusted zones on zonealarm, I cant transfer any files, but it does let me login though...

dont forget he is a guru

Nah, im a web server administrator, so i know its not the webserver ;)

Ive tried my own server (which i know other people can connect too!) and get nowhere, ftp.newaol.com (ftp://ftp.newaol.com) (aol's ftp) which does the same...

I dont use my ntl space, but ill take a look at how to connect to it, see what happens.

;) :D :D :D :D

MikeyB
30-08-2004, 07:38
Hi RazorD,

Also in Swindon here, just connected to my NTL space, and my two other servers successfully via FTP, no problems at all.

Was actually surprised it connected to the 3rd one as the account ran out on the 17th!!!!