PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem settings needed info for thanks

fxb
29-08-2004, 04:31
Right I just want to make sure my modem is on the right settings has I am told one thing then another. So maybe you can help...
I go to cable modems properties and in there there is one setting saying ethernet adapter properties..then the tab saying Advanced..
Now one of them asks do I want to have Line Speed/Duplex Mode and is it to be set on Auto or set to 100 half mode or any of the others. This one Ijust dont no what to have ut in. So thanks in advance and thanks for all the great help..
Paul

Chris W
29-08-2004, 04:44
You can set that to Automatic, as that will save you from matching the ethernet card and cable modem duplex modes.

fxb
29-08-2004, 04:49
thanks for the quic response. Ill leave it auto like the rest of the settings thats in there has i would never know what they should be at. Thanks again..

Paul...

BarFly
29-08-2004, 04:55
Just a quick add to what MB has pointed out if you have a Samsung STB, you might need to set the connection to 10base half duplex or 10base t depending on how it reads, there are some problems with them picking up connection when set to auto detect.

greencreeper
29-08-2004, 17:29
Just a quick add to what MB has pointed out if you have a Samsung STB, you might need to set the connection to 10base half duplex or 10base t depending on how it reads, there are some problems with them picking up connection when set to auto detect.
Apparantly there can be problems when both the PC and the modem are set to auto-detect. I have my NIC set to use "100 Full Mode" (i.e. 100 full duplex, 100Base-T or Fast Ethernet) and my modem to auto-detect.

Paul
29-08-2004, 18:16
The correct way to do it is set your PC [NIC] and the CM to the same (not Auto). 10mbps / Half Duplex is more than sufficient for a CM to PC connection. :)

carlingman
30-08-2004, 05:14
Hi fxb,

I guessing from your posting you have a stand alone cable modem.

Which one though ???

If it is the ntl home 100/120 silver looking thing then the optimal setting for this is to force both the ethernet card and the modem to full duplex.

This will in effect reduce any possibilities of collisions and any auto negotiation mistakes.

:D