PDA

View Full Version : Any 3Com Tailfin users in upgrade area?

holtyboy
28-08-2004, 16:08
Just wondered if there was anybody here using the old 3Com tailfin modem in one of the recently upgraded areas.

I've had an almost perfect performance from my 512 / 600 service for the past 3 years. Then it would seem that at the same time the network upgrades took place in my area i lost service.

The modem refuses to register to the network. Coincidence or are there other users with the same problem?

I've had total outage for over a week now and not getting anywhere slowly with ntl cs.

Cheers... hb

PS this msg comes to you from my backup interent service - ipaq via gprs!

Chris W
28-08-2004, 18:18
:welcome: to the site

I have a 3com CMX, and have had no problems with that- the specs are pretty similar.

There is upgrade work going on this weekend, so nothing can be done until wednesday, but if you send me the mac address of the modem i will have a look and see what is going on.

MB

holtyboy
28-08-2004, 19:52
Thanks MB - have sent you an email.

carlingman
29-08-2004, 01:22
Just wondered if there was anybody here using the old 3Com tailfin modem in one of the recently upgraded areas.

I've had an almost perfect performance from my 512 / 600 service for the past 3 years. Then it would seem that at the same time the network upgrades took place in my area i lost service.

The modem refuses to register to the network. Coincidence or are there other users with the same problem?

I've had total outage for over a week now and not getting anywhere slowly with ntl cs.

Cheers... hb

PS this msg comes to you from my backup interent service - ipaq via gprs!

Hi holtyboy,

Sorry to hear about your service loss although I am a bit bemused why you are ringing CS surely this should be TS (IE Customer Services and Tech Support).

The number for tech support for stand alone cable modems is 0845 650 0121.

Anyhows have you tried pointing your browser to

here (http://149.112.50.65/ ) or here (http://192.168.100.1/ )

You should see a link for session status.

Click in that it should all your upstream/downsream power levels and signal to noise ratios.

Post them back removing your MAC Address on here preferrably at the time the connection drops or as it is dropped completely I guess the snapshot now will be ok..

I am not aware myself of any issues with network upgrades affecting these modems as although I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have one myself my cousin has two on separate accounts in the Cardiff area which are pretty much bullet proof although I am not sure if Cardiff has been upgraded yet.

Anyhows post the results back and we can take a look.

I am a mere mortal against our very own legend monkeybreath but may be able to offer some assistance.

:D

Stu038
29-08-2004, 10:35
holtyboy,
I'am useing a Tailfin that was upgraded to 750 a couple of weeks ago due to a clerical error ;) and has worked fine since. I'm sure that MB will get you sorted.

Ignition
29-08-2004, 11:34
holtyboy,
I'am useing a Tailfin that was upgraded to 750 a couple of weeks ago due to a clerical error ;) and has worked fine since. I'm sure that MB will get you sorted.

*downgrades Stu :D

holtyboy
30-08-2004, 20:22
Hi Carlingman,

Thx for the thoughts. Yes I have been speaking to TS & CS - most of the time i get passed from one to t'other.

It seems like part of the problem may be to do with (as i have just discovered) my address wasn't updated on the BB system when i moved house 3 years ago, even though i'm being billed to the new address, and my CM has performed fine.

BB TS seemed unable to update the address details so they then pass me to CS who take my MAC address and claim to have correctly re-registered me. However when i go back to TS - they seem to have no record of my MAC or it is registered to the wrong part of the country. This has happened a couple of times now over my week of outage and now i can't push it forward coz nobody can access the necessary systems until they finish the upgrades.

This w/e i have had a couple of moments where my CM has established a link and i've got about 5 mins of Internet time, but then the link drops again.

Unfortunately when the link goes down i can't bring up any diagnostics in my browser.

cheers.... hb

Hi holtyboy,

Sorry to hear about your service loss although I am a bit bemused why you are ringing CS surely this should be TS (IE Customer Services and Tech Support).

The number for tech support for stand alone cable modems is 0845 650 0121.

Anyhows have you tried pointing your browser to

here (http://149.112.50.65/ ) or here (http://192.168.100.1/ )

You should see a link for session status.

Click in that it should all your upstream/downsream power levels and signal to noise ratios.

Post them back removing your MAC Address on here preferrably at the time the connection drops or as it is dropped completely I guess the snapshot now will be ok..

I am not aware myself of any issues with network upgrades affecting these modems as although I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have one myself my cousin has two on separate accounts in the Cardiff area which are pretty much bullet proof although I am not sure if Cardiff has been upgraded yet.

Anyhows post the results back and we can take a look.

I am a mere mortal against our very own legend monkeybreath but may be able to offer some assistance.

carlingman
31-08-2004, 02:37
Hi Carlingman,

Thx for the thoughts. Yes I have been speaking to TS & CS - most of the time i get passed from one to t'other.

It seems like part of the problem may be to do with (as i have just discovered) my address wasn't updated on the BB system when i moved house 3 years ago, even though i'm being billed to the new address, and my CM has performed fine.

BB TS seemed unable to update the address details so they then pass me to CS who take my MAC address and claim to have correctly re-registered me. However when i go back to TS - they seem to have no record of my MAC or it is registered to the wrong part of the country. This has happened a couple of times now over my week of outage and now i can't push it forward coz nobody can access the necessary systems until they finish the upgrades.

This w/e i have had a couple of moments where my CM has established a link and i've got about 5 mins of Internet time, but then the link drops again.

Unfortunately when the link goes down i can't bring up any diagnostics in my browser.

cheers.... hb

Hi,

Well as you have sent a PM to Monkeybreath best wait till Wednesday when he is back in and see what they can advise.