PDA

View Full Version : Business NTL Cable

markmarkymark
27-08-2004, 12:23
Yo all

I did look at this on the NTL site but could not find price or upload specification.

Just wondered if anyone knows the prices, and in particular the upload performance.

cheers

MArk

Chris W
27-08-2004, 12:38
AFAIK you can have pretty much that you like... from 300k to 10meg dedicated lines.

Prices can be rather high... what kind of connection are you after?

markmarkymark
27-08-2004, 13:00
Ok ...

I have a server program for delivery e-learning. It has to be run on a dedicated PC / server and can not be hosted on a multi server platform (e.g. how most Hosts provide services). Therefore I am investigating options e.g.

1) Host at home. I am trying this now and it works. I have the 1.5MBit connection but of course the upload is killed very quickly.

2) Get a host to host the server on a dedicated PC server. This might be rather expensive but I have no idea which will be more expensive.

I have no idea what I need upload wise, but it has to be 1Mbit and beyond.

cheers

MArk

orangebird
27-08-2004, 13:09
Ok ...

I have a server program for delivery e-learning. It has to be run on a dedicated PC / server and can not be hosted on a multi server platform (e.g. how most Hosts provide services). Therefore I am investigating options e.g.

1) Host at home. I am trying this now and it works. I have the 1.5MBit connection but of course the upload is killed very quickly.

2) Get a host to host the server on a dedicated PC server. This might be rather expensive but I have no idea which will be more expensive.

cheers

MArk

If you want to PM me the area you're in, I'll get the right contact number/person in ntl: Business for you?

Mauldor
27-08-2004, 15:33
Depends on the OS I Guess for remote hosting - a lot of people offer dedicated servers sat in there equip rooms and normally have a much higher bandwidth than you could buy at the same cost.

Can the program/thing your doing be run on Linux for example? is it a download of a program or is it a server in itself? (as in runs on windows 2003 server).
http://www.canaca.com/dedicated.htm - these in the USA and cost like $220 a month but runs Linux.

http://www.uh-hosting.co.uk/ - uk based and you can provide your own equipment to sit in there racks sort of thing...

Escapee
27-08-2004, 17:05
Ok ...

cheers

MArk

I would guess ntl would suggest a 2Mbit, as that is a standard mux card normaly providing 30x64K lines or 2Mbit business connection.

snip: Assuming they have some spare capacity!

I am not a Telco expert and would have no idea about price these days.

gkhewitt
28-08-2004, 08:50
When you say dedicated, would something like this do at all?

www.bytemark.co.uk

If not then dedicated servers (in datacentres) are upwards of about £50/mth, depending on spec & bandwidth

Graham M
28-08-2004, 09:32
Relocation is also an option if you can build a 1U server box.

markmarkymark
29-08-2004, 05:58
Many thanks for the comments and advice so far. Losts to think about.

I have had a quick scan of UK Broadband (home) products. It seems at the 250kBit up stream is about the max anywhere, unyet I'm sure its technically possible for commerical uses (at a price). Anyone know of a provider which offers uploads higher than 250 kbits?

MArk

bobna
29-08-2004, 10:50
http://www.bulldogdsl.com/

these offer "up-to" 400kbps upload

Paul
29-08-2004, 12:26
http://www.bulldogdsl.com/

these offer "up-to" 400kbps upload
If you happen to live in Central London ;)

Sounds to me like you need a dedicated server in a data centre Marky - they cost from about £80 month upwards depending on your requirements (which is a lot less than any dedicated line with the speeds you want will cost you).

markmarkymark
02-09-2004, 15:42
Wellâ₠¬Ã‚¦..

Just in any anyone wondered. I have now had a look at the NTL business options (ha ha ha).

For the Reading area I have two optionsââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦..

1) 250kbit up and 1Mbit down for about double what I am paying for my current 1Mbit home account.

For this I get a fixed IP address (mine has not changed in two years), and less users online (hmmm not sure I believe that given that it must be routed through the same system at a local level). So thats worth it then :confused:

2) A leased NTL line - 2Mbits up and 2Mbits down (I was getting excited at this point) †¦..

For †¦ââ⠀šÂ¬Ã‚¦

10,000 a year !!!! :Yikes:

So the NTL options are dead. Since my local exchange is not SDSL enabled Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m stuck!!!!!

Mark