PDA

View Full Version : Any issues in Oxford ?

ozsat
26-08-2004, 17:38
This afternoon I'm having a problem with the modem (Surfboard SB3100) resetting and then during its startup routine - gets stuck as a flashing send.

Phoned TS who are not aware of issues affecting Oxford - but said noise readings should they could be a network issue somewhere - but could possible be my modem. However, the noise readings from this end are fine.

All was for for 90 minutes when then problems can back - re-reported it but they said they had received no other calls - and still had no problems showiig in this area.

Anybody else in Oxford getting similar issues?

MJB
26-08-2004, 22:06
I'm in Oxford, and this afternoon I lost my connection for over an hour. In fact, it happens nearly every day now for a short period of time. Yesterday it was around tea time. Normally the mornings are worse, but I just leave it be and it returns. Sometimes it lasts only a few minutes, but today was much longer than usual.

I know it's not the ideal situation, but I'm buggered if I'm going to waste time phoning TS only for them to say there are no issues and it's my PC at fault, which judging by other people's comments they will tell me :D

All the lights on my box stay on as normal, but I just cannot connect either to a web page or to the mail server.

TheAdmiral
26-08-2004, 22:59
I've been having problems...... but then I've been having problems for a long time now. I've got an engineer coming round on saturday, so hopefully that'll sort things out.

I have noticed the connection dropping more than average though, this evening. The lights on my Terayon always stay on, however.

Chris W
27-08-2004, 00:39
ozsat if you PM me your cable modem's mac address i will have a look on saturday for you.

MB

MJB
27-08-2004, 12:53
My connection is playing up again this lunchtime. On and off and on.......:disturbd:

ozsat
27-08-2004, 14:43
Called TS again and they said they have had a few calls from the area this morning and it does seem to be a network issue.

An engineer has visited and confirms that the modem and line here are fine - and the problems would appear to be a network issue.

Connection has been fine since around 1pm.

BBKing
27-08-2004, 15:02
Fits with what I've seen here - lots offline until early this afternoon, now looking healthier.

MJB
27-08-2004, 15:22
Obviously a reoccuring problem then as it happens all too often. Maybe now they are aware of it something might be done :cool:

2old4this
27-08-2004, 18:17
i am having problems too with connection loss for over 2hour

ozsat
27-08-2004, 18:52
Mine went down again at 6.45pm - but only for about 5 minutes.

Fault number now confirms fault in their recorded message!

Valerie
27-08-2004, 22:26
I'm in Abingdon (just outside Oxford) and have been having problems for the last few days. Usually ok in the morning but deteriorates as the day progresses to a standstill by 7pm, depsite lights on the modem being on. Dan Ewell's broadband test notes some packet lost even at the best of times. It seems worse in the rain...
I haven't phoned ntl yet knowing they are busy this w/e but plan to next week if the problem continues.

MJB
28-08-2004, 09:54
Valerie,

I'm in Abingdon too :)

Sounds like we have the same problem. Yesterday I couldn't get on to the web or send mails BUT I was receiving them OK....explain that one :confused:

Can you post to say what NTL say as it may be worth me calling them as well especially if I have what you've been told as back up?

MJB
02-09-2004, 19:20
For a big chunk of this afternoon there was no web access or email access again in Oxford area. This is just getting silly.........:disturbd:

Valerie
04-09-2004, 15:47
RE Abingdon problems: Just phoned cs (long wait but nice lady eventually) who confirmed packet loss on line due to 'low signal to noise' (be aware I know the words but do not understand them!).
Any way, ntl are aware and planning to investigate on Mon.
Hope this helps MJB and others trudging through treacle to surf.

MJB
04-09-2004, 16:25
Cheers Valerie!

I've also mailed TS explaining the problems and await their reply. At least if I do speak to anyone now I can quote what you were told. Well done & thanks :tu:

mmm
06-09-2004, 10:38
Cheers Valerie!

I've also mailed TS explaining the problems and await their reply. At least if I do speak to anyone now I can quote what you were told. Well done & thanks :tu:

How do you mail TS ? Do they acknowledge and reply?

I have no cable connection in Oxford and can only get to speak to someone by going through telephone hell!

MJB
06-09-2004, 10:44
mmm,

I actually went via their website, however, the address I got back for comfirmation that it is being dealt with is:
onlinecomplaints@ntl.com

Hope that helps :)

Chris W
06-09-2004, 10:46
How do you mail TS ? Do they acknowledge and reply?

I have no cable connection in Oxford and can only get to speak to someone by going through telephone hell!

use the form at www.ntlworld.com/contact as this will make sure that your mail gets routed to the right place.

MB

Neil
06-09-2004, 10:49
use the form at www.ntlworld.com/contact as this will make sure that your mail gets routed to the right place.

MB

Does it make sure it gets dealt with too!? ;)

mmm
06-09-2004, 10:54
Does it make sure it gets dealt with too!? ;)

Credit where credit is due I have had same day service from accounts re a billing problem via this website.

Never had more than an auto response from technical support though!

mmm
06-09-2004, 22:36
Well my area's problem fixed an hour ago at least so THANKS ntl.

Neil
06-09-2004, 22:48
Credit where credit is due I have had same day service from accounts re a billing problem via this website.

Never had more than an auto response from technical support though!

You just said the magic words....

Would you have got that resolved going by the normal channels? (unlikely seeing as you came to the site for help!)

MJB
07-09-2004, 08:12
Got a call from TS last night, which if you take into account the weekend, meant they responded inside 24 hours!

Very nice guy spoke to me, but he did want to blame my router as opposed to any NTL problem, although as Valerie was told, he did confirm we do have a signal to noise problem in this area.

I agreed I'd keep a track of the issue and try to reboot if it happens again and see if it is the router, but surely that shouldn't be an issue really?

Time will tell.

Anyway, in terms of service I have to give NTL 10 out of 10 :tu: