PDA

View Full Version : Interview tommorow - how do i overcome this question -->

heyyo
26-08-2004, 17:13
I have an interview tommorow as a sales assistant (phone 4 u) this is something i am doing for the cash, not a long term plan. However as I have a degree, in my past interviews they always ask the question, why not find a job in the area of your degree (media)

I think this is where i am losing any chance of getting the job. As i answered honestly saying I have tried and it's difficult, but this as you know doesnt sound too good.

Any thoughts what else i could say?

Chris W
26-08-2004, 17:17
"I don't want to restrict myself to one particular skill so i am trying to broaden my horizons and explore a number of different employment opportunities."

or if that branch is anything like the one near my old house
"cos i is well good at sellin phones innit!" :D

Chris
26-08-2004, 17:26
Well, as an archaeology graduate ... :D

To be honest, it's a bit of a dim question on the part of the person conducting the interview. Degrees have traditionally been seen as evidence that you are mature (no, really!), intelligent, capable of working hard, applying yourself to tasks, and so on ... if the person at Phones 4 U asks you this, then tell them you chose a course you were interested in but your overall intention was to learn how to study, reseach, think for yourself and, erm ... sell phones. OK, so I don't think you should say the last one :D

paulyoung666
26-08-2004, 17:30

To be honest, it's a bit of a dim question on the part of the person conducting the interview. Degrees have traditionally been seen as evidence that you are mature (no, really!), intelligent, capable of working hard, applying yourself to tasks, and so on ... if the person at Phones 4 U asks you this, then tell them you chose a course you were interested in but your overall intention was to learn how to study, reseach, think for yourself and, erm ... sell phones. OK, so I don't think you should say the last one :D

reckon you nailed it there my mate :tu: :D :D :D
except the bit about selling phones :disturbd: :D :D :D

danielf
26-08-2004, 17:42
Something to keep in the back of your mind (perhaps): If they weren't interested in hiring you, they wouldn't invite you for an interview.

So, I figure it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

gary_580
26-08-2004, 18:03

ahh explains a lot ;)

cookie_365
26-08-2004, 19:14
Well, studying media shows you have an interest in the way people communicate with each other, and you're intrigued by the way mobiles have so radically changed the way we communicate in just a couple of years

(though say it a bit less pompously ;) )