PDA

View Full Version : Dead box?

nialli
06-08-2003, 09:55
I've only been an NTL customer for a month, but yesterday my box seems to have lost all channels and I can't get them back.

I've called Customer Service (and got through straight away) but they can't get anyone out for a week.

Is there anything I can try? On my Pace 2000 box I only have the top green light rather than the top two, and the channel information panel just has the channel number, no name or programme details. I've tried removing the smart card and turning off and on again, but no luck. After about five minutes a blue panel (I'm CR2 I think) comes up and tells me the channel isn't broadcasting. Changing channels makes no difference. The error number is B1051.

No telly til next Wednesday? Help!

Lakin
06-08-2003, 13:01
I dont think there is anything u can try. Im not exactly sure, its possible its too strong signal, but i dont know how the pace would express this. Assuming this is a possibility the engineer will probably check the sgnal strengths and add a inlne thing to reduce it. But, i think its more likely its a dead box, and it will just be replaced.

Then again, im not an engineer, im just going by what ive seen engineers do, and what people have said on this and the other forum.

I thought ntl had run out of pace 2000 boxes now, or is it just dependant on area?

Lord Nikon
06-08-2003, 15:49
nialli press pg up, pg dn, blue on the remote and tell me what it says from page 1 for
SNR
Pre RS Errors
Post RS Errors
AGC Signal Level

page 2 -

Return Power

page 3 -

QOS

nialli
07-08-2003, 15:27
Thanks, Lord Nixon - I'll check it out tonight and let you know.

Do you think this is something that will "rectify itself" or am I stuck without telly til my engineer turns up? Apparently it's down to my box not accessing the scheduling information properly after some recent central maintenance.

nialli
07-08-2003, 20:39
Here are my box's reading's, m'lud

1 for
SNR 0.0db
Pre RS Errors No Pre RS
Post RS Errors No Post RS
AGC Signal Level 503

page 2 -

Return Power n/a

page 3 -

QOS n/a

So is my box knackered, or is it an external problem?

thanks

Escapee
07-08-2003, 20:42
SNR 0.0db

That's not good it's basically saying the box either has no signal input or is faulty.

If signal and noise are the same ratio, theres basically no signal just noise:eek:

Lord Nikon
07-08-2003, 20:45
possibly external, according to your post the box isn't receiving a signal at all which would indicate either a break in the cable between the street cab and your house or between the point on the wall and the box. It COULD be the receive module in the box, but I would be more tempted to assume the cable.

Could be worth checking if the cables are ok (if you have disturbed any of them) there should be a thin copper wire sticking out from the center of the plug.

____
____|__ <-- copper wire
____|

th'engineer
07-08-2003, 21:14
Originally posted by nialli
Here are my box's reading's, m'lud

1 for
SNR 0.0db
Pre RS Errors No Pre RS
Post RS Errors No Post RS
AGC Signal Level 503

page 2 -

Return Power n/a

page 3 -

QOS n/a

So is my box knackered, or is it an external problem?

thanks

check your connections are tight both on the box and as it enters the property

nialli
08-08-2003, 11:04
Cables are good guys: nothing had been disturbed but I disconnected them, all ends in the house had the exposed copper wire Lord Nikon described, and I secured them back in properly. Still no signal.
However, I did remove the smart card and had a look. It looked like the gold chip thing had perhaps overheated? There's a slight imprint showing through on the top of the card. Could this be the problem?