PDA

View Full Version : hernia op

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 21:15
:erm: Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get a hernia op on the NHS?
and how long to recover? I am guessing it would take me about 3weeks at my level of fitness

tkiely
24-08-2004, 21:18
No idea scrubbs, but whatever it is, good luck. You'll soon be right as rain

kronas
24-08-2004, 21:25
and how long to recover? I am guessing it would take me about 3weeks at my level of fitness

from what i have read, depending on the area of the operation it can take between 1 and 6 weeks.

Paul K
24-08-2004, 21:28
How long you wait till the operation will most likely depend on how bad the hernia is. Recovery time can be around the 3-6 weeks as far as I know. Everything depends on age, health and how much you rest it afterwards I would think ;)
http://www.malehealth.co.uk/userpage1.cfm?item_id=123

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 21:39
How long you wait till the operation will most likely depend on how bad the hernia is. Recovery time can be around the 3-6 weeks as far as I know. Everything depends on age, health and how much you rest it afterwards I would think ;)
http://www.malehealth.co.uk/userpage1.cfm?item_id=123An interesting site... thanks
The resting afterwards would involve sitting comfortably in front of a computer I presume ?:)

I am still waiting to see if the company I work for is going to stump up so I can go privately. If thats the case I suppose it could be done in less than a fortnight?

Chimaera
24-08-2004, 21:47
My boss had a para-umbilical hernia operated on a few months ago - by the time he got to see the surgeon it was very bad (he's a real coward and left it way too long!!) He only waited a month for his hospital appointment and then had the op 6 weeks later. He was in hospital 2 days (he recovered quickly) but has been told on no circumstances must he lift anything heavier than a teacup for 6 months as the good work they have done could be ruined in a moment - and they will not re-do it.
His appointment came through quickly as our health authority had to clear waiting lists towards the end of the financial year - and he was given the opportunity of going private on the NHS!
Hope it all goes well whatever you decide to do!

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 21:59
The trouble is.....I don't think I will be allowed back to work without it getting done:mad: So.... The quicker I get it done the quicker I get back to work cos I don't get paid if I am not working
Hmmm.......... maybe I should sign on the sick? At least I would get something I suppose

mrmassive
24-08-2004, 22:03
:erm: Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get a hernia op on the NHS?

When I worked at the Royal Mail quite a few where off with a hernia. Hate to say it but it's about 6months off work . I know an idiot that did return early but he had to have it resownd . So he had nine months off work :D

Ramrod
24-08-2004, 22:04
Where is your hernia Scrubbs?

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 22:05
When I worked at the Royal Mail quite a few where off with a hernia. Hate to say it but it's about 6months off work . I know an idiot that did return early but he had to have it resownd . So he had nine months off work :D
Thanks for that:)
I may be able to do office/light duties after i get it done...when I get it done:disturbd:

Ramrod
24-08-2004, 22:11
If it's an Inguinal hernia, I would go and have it repaired at the British Hernia Center (http://www.hernia.org/end.html)
With a simple hernia they want you up and about immediatly and back to normal duties in under a week!
(mickey mouse website but have a good read in it) :tu:

edit--I can't stress enough how good these people are at hernias, they are the worlds best at hernia repair. Thats all their surgeons do.....

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 22:16
Its a stoma hernias I'm pretty sure

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 22:18
Its a stoma hernias I'm pretty sure

if it is (http://www.hernia.org/stoma.html)

Ramrod
24-08-2004, 22:21
Its a stoma hernias I'm pretty sureGive them a ring on O20-8201 7000 tomorrow and see if they repair those.....I think they do.......

edit--have you had a colostomy ? :confused:

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 22:29
if it is (http://www.hernia.org/stoma.html)I should explain I have crohns disease and during the treatment I developed abcesses on my bowels and got operated on in 1999/2000 and woke up with an ileostomy bag :disturbd:
I had that for about 6 months then got it reversed so.... I only ended up with a long scar(pubic bone to sternum) and a scar where the pouch/stoma used to be
Thats where the hernia is:)

I don't have a stoma anymore ( and never will again:dozey: )

ps my "chi" has never been the same since:mad:

Julian
24-08-2004, 22:49
The trouble is.....I don't think I will be allowed back to work without it getting done:mad: So.... The quicker I get it done the quicker I get back to work cos I don't get paid if I am not working
Hmmm.......... maybe I should sign on the sick? At least I would get something I suppose

Are you not entitled to SSP ( Statutory Sick Pay )? Your company can claim some of the cost back ( depending on its size ) plus it is a legal entitlement. :)

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 22:57
Are you not entitled to SSP ( Statutory Sick Pay )? Your company can claim some of the cost back ( depending on its size ) plus it is a legal entitlement. :)
Ah well... you see...I am "day rater" every day I work I get paid, as soon as I leave work (vessel or site) I don't work for them anymore....So ...In theory I am unemployed.

It suits me 99.9% of the time as I have no duty to return if i don't want to and can go and work for who I like, when I like.
The majority of people in my field work this way

Matth
24-08-2004, 23:52
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc.asp?doc=23069018

As far as I can see, you should be entitled to Incapacity Benefit, since you are unable to work (especially if they say you can't)

Scrubbs
25-08-2004, 00:10
I think I might go down there to claim my £54
If my boss coughs up for private I can always donate some to NACC
(http://www.nacc.org.uk/

paulyoung666
25-08-2004, 00:14
I think I might go down there to claim my £54
If my boss coughs up for private I can always donate some to NACC
(http://www.nacc.org.uk/

well i would like to think if you are valuable to your employer then they would do their best to get you back on your feet as soon as possible , if i may ask , what exactly is your job , i guess you work at teesport on the docks ( so to speak ) :erm: :D :D :D :D

Scrubbs
25-08-2004, 00:18
well i would like to think if you are valuable to your employer then they would do their best to get you back on your feet as soon as possible , if i may ask , what exactly is your job , i guess you work at teesport on the docks ( so to speak ) :erm: :D :D :D :D

ROV Senior Pilot/tech

Remotely Operated Vehicle

I work in the oil biz ( I haven't worked the docks for years ducky:D :D :rofl:

paulyoung666
25-08-2004, 00:25
ROV Senior Pilot/tech

Remotely Operated Vehicle

I work in the oil biz ( I haven't worked the docks for years ducky:D :D :rofl:

and you really thought i meant you were a .............. , eeeeeeeeee i dont know :D :D :D :D

Scrubbs
25-08-2004, 00:37
I'm also classified as a sailor :D or a seaman :p: (with a hernia just to stay on topic)

go on ....... witty reparte

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 00:55
I should explain I have crohns disease and during the treatment I developed abcesses on my bowels and got operated on in 1999/2000 and woke up with an ileostomy bag :disturbd:
I had that for about 6 months then got it reversed so.... I only ended up with a long scar(pubic bone to sternum) and a scar where the pouch/stoma used to be
Thats where the hernia is:)

I don't have a stoma anymore ( and never will again:dozey: )

ps my "chi" has never been the same since:mad:Thats really rough.........They would probably do a 'mesh' repair. Phone them and ask about it.....
btw.........can you feel your chi? If so how did you develope that ability?

Scrubbs
25-08-2004, 01:07
Thats really rough.........They would probably do a 'mesh' repair. Phone them and ask about it.....
btw.........can you feel your chi? If so how did you develope that ability?
I can feel my chi, usually with interaction with other people i.e. massage, accupressure, Empty points or with little or no energy are usually more painful to the touch
mainly it is with massage when i am trying to move their energy around

developing it is a practice thing I suppose. You gradually realise you have it then it "grows" the more you use it.
Tai chi everyday or every other day certainly helps:)

BUT.........I do know some people who cannot demonstrate chi energy and they have been "doing" Tai Chi for years:rolleyes: It can't fix hernias but it certainly helps it

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 01:10
I can feel my chi, usually with interaction with other people i.e. massage, accupressure, Empty points or with little or no energy are usually more painful to the touch
mainly it is with massage when i am trying to move their energy around

developing it is a practice thing I suppose. You gradually realise you have it then it "grows" the more you use it.
Tai chi everyday or every other day certainly helps:)

BUT.........I do know some people who cannot demonstrate chi energy and they have been "doing" Tai Chi for years:rolleyes: It can't fix hernias but it certainly helps itWhich style of Tai Chi do you do? I'm doing learning the Long Yang style.....along with it's fast form, applied form, two man form and scholars sword :)

Scrubbs
25-08-2004, 01:16
I have doing the "Lee family style" for about 15years
mainly the form and the dance(like a fast form) But getting to classes has always been a problem so I am probably equivilent to someone who has been doing it for 5 or 6 years( I am only up to 50 in the form)
At the beginning I dabbled in the sword, stick and silk but concentrated on form ,dance yoga breathing and massage
I did try the yang style but found it too demanding( very long stances)

Ramrod
25-08-2004, 09:08
I have doing the "Lee family style" for about 15years
mainly the form and the dance(like a fast form) But getting to classes has always been a problem so I am probably equivilent to someone who has been doing it for 5 or 6 years( I am only up to 50 in the form)
At the beginning I dabbled in the sword, stick and silk but concentrated on form ,dance yoga breathing and massage
I did try the yang style but found it too demanding( very long stances)I'm coming up to 4 years training in Tai Chi.
The Yang style doesnt have to be done in a long/low stance, it can be done in a high stance. Our instructors recommend you do it however you are comfortable but with my karate background I always do it as low as possible (for now).
How many 'movements' are there in the Lee style?

Scrubbs
26-08-2004, 19:46
I'm coming up to 4 years training in Tai Chi.
The Yang style doesnt have to be done in a long/low stance, it can be done in a high stance. Our instructors recommend you do it however you are comfortable but with my karate background I always do it as low as possible (for now).
How many 'movements' are there in the Lee style?
In the form there is 140 movements ...That's to the right,
then you learn it all over again to the left ;)

I think there is 108 in the dance

Scrubbs
08-10-2004, 18:57
I am going for my op tommorrow :dozey: 8/10 out again on monday :)

Shaun
08-10-2004, 19:00
That didn't take too long Scrubs, I hope it all goes well and we'll see you on here soon :tu:

Paul K
08-10-2004, 19:02
I am going for my op tommorrow :dozey: 8/10 out again on monday :)
Good luck with the op, hope it all goes well and you are back on your feet as soon as possible :)
Will look out for this thread when we get back off holiday next weekend to see how things went :tu:

Scrubbs
08-10-2004, 19:04
That didn't take too long Scrubs, I hope it all goes well and we'll see you on here soon :tu:
Thank you

It's at the local Nuffield hospital as well which is only 20 minutes away, I was originally going to go to london:(

Scrubbs
08-10-2004, 19:05
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc.asp?doc=23069018

As far as I can see, you should be entitled to Incapacity Benefit, since you are unable to work (especially if they say you can't)
I have signed on for this but it takes 4weeks to sort out:(

paulyoung666
08-10-2004, 20:19
I have signed on for this but it takes 4weeks to sort out:(

dont suppose you can get it to be an industrial injury can you , it might be worth a look at , the nuffield you are on about , is that the one in stockton ???????? , if it is then it is superb and i am going there on monday for some physio :tu: