PDA

View Full Version : wanadoo 1mbit for £17.99

kronas
24-08-2004, 16:27
wanadoo has fired the latest shot in the increasingly competative broadband market with a 1mbit service for £17.99, the firm states that the service has a 2GB a month download limit.

Users exceeding this limit will be warned with two e-mails and asked to chose either to upgrade to a £23.99 monthly package which allows 6GB of downloads or face having their service restricted to e-mail-only for the rest of the month.

However, a Wanadoo spokesperson told BBC News Online that these caps would not be enforced until early next year.
source: BBC news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3593912.stm

Electrolyte01
24-08-2004, 16:39
2GB? No thanks, I would rather stay with my 1GB Per Day 300K connection with NTL :erm:

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 16:45
1 meg with a 2 gb cap , and we thought ntl was bad , so ok the price is good , but unless you are only browsing it is a waste of time i reckon :(

Gareth
24-08-2004, 16:53
Yeah, this is crazy - at that speed, you could easily max out your monthly limit in a couple hours!

It's more of a marketing ploy than anything, I think. Hopefully though it'll have the knock-on effect of causing prices in general to drop.

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 17:15
Yeah, this is crazy - at that speed, you could easily max out your monthly limit in a couple hours!

It's more of a marketing ploy than anything, I think. Hopefully though it'll have the knock-on effect of causing prices in general to drop.

nice if does :tu: , not sure if it will though :(

Gareth
26-08-2004, 17:38
Well, I think it's already started to happen. Apparently plus.net are now offering a 2Mbps package for £20 p/month, and other companies are apparently lining-up with similar offerings in the pipeline. The downside, like Wanadoo's offer, is there's a paltry download limit that I'd max out in a couple of hours without even trying!

It's evident to me that the ADSL market is now storming ahead of the cable market - offering increased speeds and lower costs, whereas ntl can only offer slightly increased speeds at an increased cost.

kronas
26-08-2004, 18:16
im sticking to NTL simply because i can d/l as much as i need to, cap has not been enforced yet.......... plus the fact the service is solid :cool:

paulyoung666
26-08-2004, 19:16
im sticking to NTL simply because i can d/l as much as i need to, cap has not been enforced yet.......... plus the fact the service is solid :cool:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :disturbd: :D :D :D

Florence
26-08-2004, 20:17
There are many problems with wanadoo and members on our forums are stuck to 12 month contract.

Salu
02-09-2004, 10:52
I have to keep asking myself though, "Is £37 per month worth paying for a 1.5 connection when you can get a 1MB from Wanadoo, with a 6GB cap for £22.99 per month?"

You can even get a 1MB connection with a 30GB cap for £27.99.

I don't agree with capping but I don't think I actually use 30GB per month, in fact I only really want the 1MB for the 256 upload speed.

It's quite a premium at £37 pounds per month and I wonder how long NTL can sustain it. NTL used to be the leaders in the price war...

Indeed, I wonder how long NTL will sustain it's flacid cap policy as the competition is going for this full pelt. This is sad as it rather removes one of the main points of broadband......"always on". You would psychologically only leave something ON if it did not cost you to do so.

Wanadoo is starting to look attractive but I wonder whether we are just around the corner from an NTL annnouncement...Anyone heard anything?

Salu
03-09-2004, 16:00
...I guess not!

Gareth
03-09-2004, 16:46
£38 p/month is indeed a lot of money to pay. /me is even beginning to wonder whether it's worthwhile. Broadband is undoubtedly worthwhile ...I've used xDSL and cable for 4 years now, so I can't go back to dial-up, but I'm questioning whether I can really justify the financial costs. Maybe it's time to downgrade... or see how much an equivalent ADSL package would cost?

paulyoung666
03-09-2004, 16:54
£38 p/month is indeed a lot of money to pay. /me is even beginning to wonder whether it's worthwhile. Broadband is undoubtedly worthwhile ...I've used xDSL and cable for 4 years now, so I can't go back to dial-up, but I'm questioning whether I can really justify the financial costs. Maybe it's time to downgrade... or see how much an equivalent ADSL package would cost?

i wonder myself , i also wonder if ntl will bow to pressure when more ppl are able to get adsl ( i cant ) , i reckon they wont be able not to :erm:

scrotnig
03-09-2004, 18:31
Never, ever touch Wanadoo or Tiscali, ever. No matter how desperate. Don't say you haven't been warned.

If you want a non-ntl solution go with Pipex or Demon or someone a bit reputable. Vispa are also worth a look, very professional company though not the cheapest, but their quality stands out. http://www.vispa.com.

bo-peep
09-09-2004, 16:52
i do have a question 2 ask.i have ntl BB where i live and it's only 2day that my bf has managed to get ADSL.he got his wanadoo pack this morning and wot i find strange is that according to instructions ( not yet looked at the disc) he can only connect via USB.can sumbody tell me why.i use ethernet and his pc came with the facility.i dunno a thing about ADSL.

question to the last poster.why not touch wanadoo? my bf has been with them for years on dial up and just thought it the easiest thing to do.

cheers

sue