PDA

View Full Version : wierd internet speed issue

ravenuk
24-08-2004, 15:47
in the last few days i have noticed something thats never happened before

i have around 180kbs d/l and 30bbs u/l

now in the passed i have been able to run the u/l and d/l to the max at the same time.

now i notice that if the u/l stream is going the d/l stream goes down to around 30kbs

as soon as i stop the u/l stream the d/l stream goes flat out again

now i know some connections are a little like this but its never happened before.

what could it be??

now i know we just had an upgrade but its been ok since then

a week ago an ntl guy came out as i was getting problems not connecting

he put a little box on the back of my modem. he said it was cause i was so close to the server that this was to stop getting too much power down the line?.. is this bull and is this the problem

please help

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 15:50
hi and :welcome: to the site , everytime i have had the upload saturated the download suffered , as far as i know that will always happen :(

ravenuk
24-08-2004, 15:53
thanks for the welcome

but no its never happened before mate.

i used to be able to d/l at 180kbs and upload at 30kbs at the same time.

its only this past few days
and im sure it wouldnt drop my d/l speed to my u/l speed

now thats two posts :)

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 15:55
are you using stb or sacm ??????? , could you post some diagnostics for ppl to look at and see if there is anything obvious to see ???????? :)

Florence
24-08-2004, 15:56
I have been having speed problems in Manchester. The trouble is slow uploads but its only for periods than suddenly without warning you get max again.

Disconnections is another and slow browsing. pages timing out. Just can't pinpoint a time or any perticular website. It just comes and goes.

It gets annoying coz it can be slow you phone up and the test and its back on target.
It looks like a no win situation for me so about to start a log everytime the browsing is slow I will log it and do regular speed teast logging them also.
Looking for a pattern or reason for why its happening.

ravenuk
24-08-2004, 16:02
ok all the info i can give you is

running xp
live in rugby

modem going through usb port
1 meg connection

does not matter how i u/l or d/l and with what ever app i use for it i loose the d/l speed while u/ling

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 16:05
what make / model of modem is it ????????? :)

ravenuk
24-08-2004, 16:10
60194e is the model number

its a silver ntl=home one
cant find any other sticker

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 16:14
i cant remember if you can use docs diag (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/) with this modem or not , maybe you could give it a try :erm: