PDA

View Full Version : After year of graduating I have a work placement with the BBC

heyyo
23-08-2004, 18:03
After graduating last year I have been searching endlessly for jobs with no Luck. I got contacted by the BBC today who said they were replying in regards to my application form I filled in last year and would I still be interested in the Work placement in the Interactive section at the BBC. I said Yes I am and I am due to start in October. The position is unpaid and for 2 week, it will cost me at least 30 pound a day on transportation. :td:

Do you think this is worth me taking this position? Is it a good start in getting somewhere, experience, learn new skills which could attract employers after the placement ends? Im in hope the BBC would employ me...

Has anyone got any tips from doing work experience and then the manager was happy with you he employed you?

Thanks

paulyoung666
23-08-2004, 18:11
have you asked if they will pay expenses ??????? , or have you tried the job centre , i am sure that they will help if it might be a road to a job , costs nowt to ask my mate , good luck :tu: :)

Ramrod
23-08-2004, 18:23
What did you graduate in?
If they are taking you on unpaid then I would have thought that there is the prospect of a job at the end of it......

Richard M
23-08-2004, 18:36
After graduating last year I have been searching endlessly for jobs with no Luck. I got contacted by the BBC today who said they were replying in regards to my application form I filled in last year and would I still be interested in the Work placement in the Interactive section at the BBC. I said Yes I am and I am due to start in October. The position is unpaid and for 2 week, it will cost me at least 30 pound a day on transportation. :td:

Do you think this is worth me taking this position? Is it a good start in getting somewhere, experience, learn new skills which could attract employers after the placement ends? Im in hope the BBC would employ me...

Has anyone got any tips from doing work experience and then the manager was happy with you he employed you?

Thanks

Defo worth the hassle imo.
Having that on your CV is well worth it.

ntl customer
23-08-2004, 18:49
Go for it!

It is definately worth taking IMO - I certainly would go for it. Not only would it look good on your CV, it would help you to develop new and advance your existing skills and possibly get your foot in the door at the Beeb. We all have to start somewhere - even celebrities such as Simon "Mr Nasty" Cowell started as a boy in the post room of EMI of all places, and look where he is now.

Out of interest, what's job's the placement for?

Russ
23-08-2004, 19:07
Re: the BBC - the money is the best in the UK when it comes to any kind of broadcasting when compared to commercial/regional stuff. For what I do at The Wave, I would get 3 times that amount at the beeb. Expenses are more generous too. All in all a good place to work if you're ambitious and don't mind the odd bit of brown nosing :D

heyyo
23-08-2004, 21:53
Cool guys, sometimes its good to hear some support, instead of your fathers constant complains about me being jobless. lol

The BBC Work experience department are going to ring me too confirm details, I will ask about expenses then, but I doubt they will. I dont want to make a bad impression before I start so I have to be careful.

I graduated in Media Production with Multimedia, 2:1. and have been looking for work ever since. (1 year now)

I have even tried getting retail jobs with no success just to keep the money flowing but I had no sucess in that.

Well I hope it works out for me with the BBC.

greencreeper
23-08-2004, 21:57
Always a good idea. It gives you the opportunity to show what you can do, and hopefully a full-time paid job will come of it. If not, as others have said, it's something else to add to your CV and more experience.

Damien
23-08-2004, 22:02
Also its the BBC! they rock!

orangebird
24-08-2004, 11:56

Thanks

£30 a day??? Where on earth do you live??

danielf
24-08-2004, 12:13
Cool guys, sometimes its good to hear some support, instead of your fathers constant complains about me being jobless. lol

The BBC Work experience department are going to ring me too confirm details, I will ask about expenses then, but I doubt they will. I dont want to make a bad impression before I start so I have to be careful.

I graduated in Media Production with Multimedia, 2:1. and have been looking for work ever since. (1 year now)

I have even tried getting retail jobs with no success just to keep the money flowing but I had no sucess in that.

Well I hope it works out for me with the BBC.

I would definitely go for it. Don't be shy in asking for expenses, I think they ought to reimburse you for them, and the money is peanuts to them. Also, seeing it is a placement, they should be aware that money may be an issue for you.

Also, hang in there. It took me well over a year to find work after I graduated (But I have to admit to being a little picky, wanted to work in the field I graduated in), but I've been working in my chosen field for over 10 years now. I know it is terrible to not be able to find a job, but something will come up. I would think the work placement will definitely help, so go for it!

Ramrod
24-08-2004, 12:13
Also its the BBC! they rock!I have it on good authority that they are an awful company to work for. "badly paid, very bureaucratic......you have to be a soulless a**hole to work there" :D

Halcyon
26-08-2004, 10:36
Definately go for it.
May be you can get some sort of sponsorship or fees paid for you.
Its worth looking into, and even if you need to get a loan, its worth doing to get on your CV and open up new doors.

Kliro
26-08-2004, 12:24
If its costing that much in transport and they wont pay expenses, Im sure you could shack up in a close-by b&B for about 15 quid/night?

cookie_365
26-08-2004, 19:18
I would think of it this way: £30 for 2 weeks is £300. Think of the kind of holiday that you could get with that, and compare the life experience you'll get from each.