PDA

View Full Version : Loft conversions, removing cross braces?

zoombini
23-08-2004, 00:04
Hello, I am looking to buy a house that has a large enough loft for me to floor etc & convert into an extra room.
However, it has several cross braces (3x2) that come from the middle of each side of the roof to the middle (ish) of the house.

Has anyone ever had these removed to convert thier loft & if so, what do you do to support the roof when having this done?

Also, do I need planning permission to do this?

Nikko
23-08-2004, 00:25
If you remove the roof trusses, you will very quickly convert the house into open top!

This really is one for expert advice, as basically the roof needs to be practically re-built to ahieve this. Most simple loft conversions work within the trusses, where applicable, so if you have a network of trusses encroaching into the central area, it is likely to be an expensive conversion.

zoombini
23-08-2004, 11:09
Thats what I thought.

basa
23-08-2004, 11:19
From your initial description it sounds like this may be an older property and the roof construction is not frames. It may be rafters and purlins.

If so (i.e. rafters & purlin type) it is quite easy to remove the cross braces and replace them with alternative support. (The braces actually prevent the roof from spreading and collapsing - like doing the splits !).

If it is a roof truss (framed) construction - start saving up !!!

If you plan to use the room as a habitable area you need Planning and Building Regs. However if you just want a very posh and comfortable store room ;) you don't. :D

zoombini
23-08-2004, 12:25
It's a 24 year old Wimpy house.

Wooden framework placed onto base, concrete poured in & left to set, wood removed. Windows, roof et all fitted.

The loft timbers are 3x2 base with 2x1 cross struts (about 10) supporting a modern tile roof.

I was hoping that the cross braces sould be replaced by some vertical ones that will allow the central space to be used better.
Ideally as a study/computer room

SMHarman
23-08-2004, 12:34
Hello, I am looking to buy a house that has a large enough loft for me to floor etc & convert into an extra room.
However, it has several cross braces (3x2) that come from the middle of each side of the roof to the middle (ish) of the house.

Has anyone ever had these removed to convert thier loft & if so, what do you do to support the roof when having this done?

Also, do I need planning permission to do this?
If the timbers are 3x2 then this is a traditional hand built roof and these can be removed, but alternate supports need to be put in place, you need a structural engineer to work that one out. You will also need to reinforce the floor as ceiling joists are not normally the same thickness as floor ones, and they will need to comply with current building regulations which are big ol pieces of timber (9in I think).
Also if you are doing this you may end up wanting to gable end the roof if it is not already for more space and also put in a (dormer) window for more useable headspace, otherwise you need velux in the space.
An extra habitable room requires building approval, and depending on what existing development has occurred on your house and where your house is located may require planning permission.
Building regulation requires that the roof has escape from within, a window big enough to climb out of and a rope ladder down, fireproof floor (ceiling below), fireproof doors on the upstairs bedrooms (so a fire on the first floor would not prevent escape from what is effectivly the second floor), properly constructed staircase to the loft room, and proper insulation of the room (to current standards).
You will also need to think about whether your central heating will need an upgrade for the boiler to cope with heating the additional space, parts may well need to be moved (tanks in the loft - hint replace with a megaflow), and there may be more HW requirements if you put a bathroom up there.
If you are doing a proper full loft conversion it normally makes sense to fully scaffold the house and basically tarp over the top of the roof, and work from the top, this also saves trapsing all the building materials through the house.
Depending on the plot size it is usually cheaper to build at ground level, though if the plot is not big enough for this a loft is a good conversion, though you need to ensure you still have a good bathroom bedroom ratio and family room bedroom ratio.

etccarmageddon
23-08-2004, 12:43
personally, I wouldnt mess with a wimpey house from 24 years ago - back then wimpey had a very poor reputation for build quality.

Always do a 'fart test' when viewing a Wimpey house... break wind and if the house stays up then it's safe to buy.

basa
23-08-2004, 13:40
If the timbers are 3x2 then this is a traditional hand built roof and these can be removed, but alternate supports need to be put in place, you need a structural engineer to work that one out. You will also need to reinforce the floor as ceiling joists are not normally the same thickness as floor ones, and they will need to comply with current building regulations which are big ol pieces of timber (9in I think).
Also if you are doing this you may end up wanting to gable end the roof if it is not already for more space and also put in a (dormer) window for more useable headspace, otherwise you need velux in the space.
An extra habitable room requires building approval, and depending on what existing development has occurred on your house and where your house is located may require planning permission.
Building regulation requires that the roof has escape from within, a window big enough to climb out of and a rope ladder down, fireproof floor (ceiling below), fireproof doors on the upstairs bedrooms (so a fire on the first floor would not prevent escape from what is effectivly the second floor), properly constructed staircase to the loft room, and proper insulation of the room (to current standards).
You will also need to think about whether your central heating will need an upgrade for the boiler to cope with heating the additional space, parts may well need to be moved (tanks in the loft - hint replace with a megaflow), and there may be more HW requirements if you put a bathroom up there.
If you are doing a proper full loft conversion it normally makes sense to fully scaffold the house and basically tarp over the top of the roof, and work from the top, this also saves trapsing all the building materials through the house.
Depending on the plot size it is usually cheaper to build at ground level, though if the plot is not big enough for this a loft is a good conversion, though you need to ensure you still have a good bathroom bedroom ratio and family room bedroom ratio.

I was just about to say that ! ;)

Seriously .. good post, covers just about everything ! :)

But as etccarmageddon says Wimpy standards used to be a bit 'variable' in the past so use a decent builder !

etccarmageddon
24-08-2004, 08:16
Do you have a photo or link to a pic of this Wimpey house you're buying?

zoombini
24-08-2004, 08:43
No, waiting for offer to be accepted or rejected before I go further.

etccarmageddon
24-08-2004, 09:09
ok, good luck with your offer. and be careful - dont let your emotions rule - ie. if/when you fall in love with a house dont lose track of logic.

Graham
24-08-2004, 22:11
I will re-iterate one comment from above:

If you are going to convert a loft into a room *ENSURE* you have *ALL* planning permission details sorted out *BEFORE* you start!

There are many stories of people being forced to demolish extensions or remove loft rooms because they didn't have the right permissions.

Even worse are the ones when someone buys a house with such an conversion and *then* someone complains about it :(

zoombini
24-08-2004, 23:06
Talking with a local builder too I think I am best advised not to bother & to just strengthen & floor it for storage instead.

paulyoung666
24-08-2004, 23:39
Talking with a local builder too I think I am best advised not to bother & to just strengthen & floor it for storage instead.

and if a local builder is advising you to do that then i reckon he is a spot on kinda guy, the sort of bloke who wont rip you off , keep a note of his phone number i reckon he will do you proud in the future :tu: ;)