PDA

View Full Version : Got clara but newsgroups have stopped working

simmo
22-08-2004, 17:28
Load the headers up fine using clara and Xnews but when i come to download it starts off fine then just stops or get transfer timeout.I know its not a clara problem as i was using clara on some elses pc who were using clara with bt broadband and was working fine.
Any ideas

Paul
22-08-2004, 18:29
I take it this is just ntl newsgroups you are referring to ?

simmo
22-08-2004, 20:32
No.Using clara on any newsgroup

Paul
22-08-2004, 21:25
Do other news clients work ok for you ?

simmo
23-08-2004, 07:59
Going to try another newsreader and hope that that is the problem.Been on all night and only downloaded 725 kb ! Cant understand why xnews would suddenly stop working for me though ?

andrew_wallasey
23-08-2004, 12:14
My mate on Clara newsgroups has been having loads of problems recently with the news server.

simmo
23-08-2004, 12:34
Is he on NTL though.?

DrAwesome
23-08-2004, 13:14
Going to try another newsreader and hope that that is the problem.Been on all night and only downloaded 725 kb ! Cant understand why xnews would suddenly stop working for me though ?

Try Grabit (http://www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download) its user friendly (you can not upload files with Grabit but you can post & download) its FREE no subscription needed. :)

To setup Grabit (After Install)
01. Rmb on Default server & Select "server Properties"

02. Fill in "Hostname" "Account Name" & "password"

03. Set "Maximum Allowed connections" to 3 & click "ok"

04. Click on "Update List"

05. Click on "Edit" (second selection pulldown from the very top left)

06. Select "Preferences" select the "Folders" tab & in the part "Programme Folders" change your download path to whatever partition or folder place you want your files to go when after the have finished downloading after you have done that click on "Apply"

07. Select the "Posting" tab & Fill in the fields "Display Name" & "Email" click on "Apply" then "OK"

08. Now select "All Groups on Default Server" & type in the space "Only Show Groupnames that Contain the words" the group you want to subscribe to (Hilite the name & using either "CTRL+S" or Right Mouse Button, select "Subscribe") the group name should name should transfer into the "Subscribed Groups" area

09. To update the Subscribed Group you have choosen hilite the group using the Left Mouse Button & from the First or Third Icon Select "Update Group" or "Update Groups"

10. When the groups have updated just hilite the file(s) in that group you want to download using Left Mouse button & using the Right Mouse Button options to "Grab Selected Article(s)" or just click on the "Grab Selected" icon whatever is easyiest.

Grabit will work on the NTL News service & also when you subscribe to the Claranet News service

This post will self destruct in 10 seconds

madcap
23-08-2004, 14:42
I'm on NTL and have a news account with Clara, I use Newsleecher as my reader and I have not had any problems connecting apart from about 20min yestersday. Oh ps I'm in Ellesmere Port with is in the North West.

simmo
23-08-2004, 14:46
Just found out its a problem with the latest version of zonealarm firewall which is causing problems with yenc. Theres loads of people on zonealarms forums complaining about their newsreaders not working after upgrading zonealarm. Cheers.

madcap
23-08-2004, 14:47
LOL just tried to connect and its down again. I twas alright earlier though, must be problems at Clara's end. You could always check http://www.uk.clara.net/servicestatus/ although there is nothing on there at the moment.

edit LOL it's alright again now, bloody thing :dozey:

DrAwesome
23-08-2004, 15:05
I have just checked with a friend who uses claranet newsgroups & she told me she hasnt had any drop outs from claranet apart from her BB connection with NTL about 30mins ago (she had to do a cm reset) her BB connection is ok & her files are continue to download with no problems.

nmcog
24-08-2004, 12:19
9 out of 10 professional leechers use NewsLeecher!
http://www.newsleecher.com/

zer0
24-08-2004, 17:13
Grabit is pretty good i just wish it could post in binary groups and had a kill filter

DrAwesome
28-08-2004, 20:12
I have just had a phonecall from a friend telling me that the claranet newsfeed is down atm & will be hopefully back up & running within the hour.

Hopefully this post has stopped you guys thinking of un-installing software etc.. as there is no need.

iron25
28-08-2004, 22:18
I use claranews and the servers have been down since 5pm. Anyone else having problems connecting?

Tricky
28-08-2004, 22:50
I use claranews and the servers have been down since 5pm. Anyone else having problems connecting?

Me 2 Clara and it deffo seems to be down - Can ping the server with a decent response time also guess its the NNTP services

DrAwesome
28-08-2004, 23:52
Clara announcement

A hardware failure on the database server (http://post-office.clara.net/insec/announce/announce.1093732734.post-office.clara.net)

DrA. Edit: Just been told the clara news server is back up & running..

iron25
29-08-2004, 00:03
Clara announcement

A hardware failure on the database server (http://post-office.clara.net/insec/announce/announce.1093732734.post-office.clara.net)

DrA. Edit: Just been told the clara news server is back up & running..

I had checked their status page but no announcement until now. The server is still down but hopefully it should be back up around 1am.

DrAwesome
29-08-2004, 00:24
What a time for their news servers to go down (Bank holiday weekend) probably their busiest weekend before the schools start.