PDA

View Full Version : Buying Your Own Cable Decoder

Antifreeze
22-08-2004, 12:02
Hi,
Sorry for posting this here, but I've looked at 20 cable forums this morning and they all seem to be dead. This is the first one I've found with more than 10 posts!
I live in Spain, but don't speak Spanish yet. I need some answers to some technical qustions, and can't communicate them to my cable provider. Even if I could, I doubt I could understand the answers. :D

My cable provider is Auna (I think they may be an agent for TimeWarner, because they give us the same set top boxes as TW use in the USA (General Instrument 1100), but that's just a guess).

We only have one cable entry point. My problem is that I want to watch cable-tv on a portable in our bedroom, but don't want to run a cable from the entry point all through the house to the bedroom; in Britain I could run this behind the plaster, or through the loft, but here it would be painfully visible as the houses are made from breeze-blocks with a thin coating of plaster. The only thing I could do is stick it to the wall... way too ugly, even if I used cable sheathing (those long white strips).

So I want to use a 'wireless transmitter' system instead. However, if I used this system I would require a set-top-box that has a coaxial input (with an F-type screw-in connector) for the cable signal, a coaxial rf output, AND a scart socket, but the GI-1100 that my provider gave me doesn't have a scart socket.

My questions are:
-Does a set-top-box exist with these inputs and outputs (coax in/out + scart)? Is the reason that the GI 2100 doesn't have scart is that it is an old model? Do most modern boxes have scart as standard? If not, what are the standard ins/outs that I can expect to find?
-Where can I but set-top-boxes? Mediamarkt doesn't have them, so I'm a bit stuck for where to go next for cable hardware.
-Do the decoders conform to European standards, so that I could buy any box in Europe from the internet and be confident that it would be able to tune into my provider's signal?
-Is there another solution to my problem that I've overlooked?

Thanks for any input.
Again, sorry this isn't about NTL, but you guys looked as though you could help.

Chris
22-08-2004, 12:35
Moved to the 'other TV services' forum.

:welcome: to Cable Forum, Antifreeze. I don't have any answers for you I'm afraid, but there are a number of cable telly experts lurking around here, I'm sure it won't be long before someone can offer you a little advice.

Florence
22-08-2004, 12:35
I will send this link to a friend in Madrid he could possibly answer this for you or at least help you. He isn't online as much recently so can't say how quickly he will reply, he works for a sat ISP.

Antifreeze
22-08-2004, 20:15
Thank you both.
Any information is appreciated.
Also any weblinks where I might be able to look for the answers myself.

Cheers.