PDA

View Full Version : USB to Ethernet problem

satchboy69
22-08-2004, 01:34
Hi everyone,

I've been running my NTL 600k service through USB on my home PC, running Windoxs XP for about a year and a half now.

Figured I'd get into the PS2 online part though so acquired myself a nice new Netgear router and some CAT5.

I figured first of all, I'd just get my connection to my PC sorted out using Ethernet before trying the router, but I'm getting into major difficulty.

I've tried just unplugging the USB cable and connecting to my onboard NIC, but there is no connection available - when I run the NTL install CD, I get the following error after the backup of the registry:

"A faulty or non-functional adapter has been found. Please remove the following malfunctioning adapters before continuing with installation. If this is a USB NIC that has been removed, please physically plug it back in:
USB Cable Modem 351000
Click the 'Fix' button to correct this problem.

Error Code :23
"

I've looked in device manager, and sure enough, the Cable modem was in there, so I uninstalled it.

Then, the installation continued though and I got the same error.

Went to view-->show hidden devices, and the only other trace of the USB modem was "USB Cable Modem 351000 - Packet scheduler miniport".

If I disable this then I STILL get the same error pop up, if I try to uninstall it, even in safe mode, I get the error "Failed to uninstall this device. This device may be required to boot up the computer".

Can someone PLEASE help? Im having a panic attack here, it's really starting to get to me now.

Am I overcomplicating things, is there an easier way?

Many thanks in advance,
John

Chris W
22-08-2004, 02:42
:welcome: to the site.

You DO NOT need to uninstall the cable modem usb drivers if you want to install on ethernet... it is a three stage process:

1. unplug power to cable modem and disconnect usb cable
2. wait 30 seconds and reboot cable modem
3. plug ethernet cable into cable modem and pc.

You should then be browsing on ethernet. If you cannot, make sure that the network card is appearing properly in the device manager. On XP you should also see the network card appearing in the network connections section of the control panel as a "local area connection". If you double click on this and click support, you will see the ip address which should start 80/81/82/213 or 62/3/4 if it is anything else, please report back.....

MB

satchboy69
22-08-2004, 09:37
Absolutely stunning!

Working fine with an IP address starting with 80.

Thankyou so much for the prompt response, im very impressed :D

Cheers,
John