PDA

View Full Version : Network card problem.

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 20:43
I have recently bought and put in a PCL network card (changing from USB), but I've come across some problems.
I put the card in fine (the little light lights up when the cable and CM are connected). In the manual it says the add hardware wizard will automatically pop up when I start the pc up, but it didn't.
I made sure I uninstalled the USB drivers aswell.

So I tried the CM hooked up to it and the lights on my CM AND network card (little light) are all fine, yet I can't access the net (I have NO ip addresses at all).
I also have no LAN connections in my "network connections" to see my connection's status (and ip address).

Any ideas?

Florence
21-08-2004, 22:09
Have you installed the drivers and enabled the card.

What OS are you using?

With 2000pro
1. right click my computer
2. click manage
3. click system tools
4. click device manager
look for the card in the list if its got an Exclamation mark reinstall the drivers.

If you want to install the drivers again then;

1. right click the card in device manager.
2. click on properties
3. click tab with Driver
4. click update driver.

Hope that helps.

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 22:43
Have you installed the drivers and enabled the card.

What OS are you using?

With 2000pro
1. right click my computer
2. click manage
3. click system tools
4. click device manager
look for the card in the list if its got an Exclamation mark reinstall the drivers.

If you want to install the drivers again then;

1. right click the card in device manager.
2. click on properties
3. click tab with Driver
4. click update driver.

Hope that helps.

But the card doesn't show up in the device manager.

I'm using windows XP by the way.

Florence
21-08-2004, 22:46
I would check the card is in properly just incase its only part in.
Then ask the pc to check for new hardware and see if it finds it. If it don't try another card or try that card in another machine to make sure its working properly. Can you try it in another pc or a friends pc?

Kneebs
21-08-2004, 22:49
Is there not a new hardware indicator icon in your system tray ? Or in device manager, is it not listed under unknown devices? (I'm not even sure if XP has unknown devices in device manager though !)

When your PC first boots up, does it list what devices are in your PCI slots ? You'll have to be quick to catch it as its only on for about a second - press the pause / break key to keep it on the screen. If it does, is it listed in there ?

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 22:56
I would check the card is in properly just incase its only part in.
Then ask the pc to check for new hardware and see if it finds it. If it don't try another card or try that card in another machine to make sure its working properly. Can you try it in another pc or a friends pc?

Would the little light beside it not be lit if this was the case?

Florence
21-08-2004, 23:09
Would the little light beside it not be lit if this was the case?
The PCI card could be part in and the part with the light is in but the important part that connects you might just need pushing into place more.

I had one changed and the light worked but the card didn't they even tried it in a pc at the shop and it wouldn't allow the pc to connect into the network.
Running out of any other ideas I havent used XP for 2 years perhaps time to have a refresher course on it :D

Gaz22
21-08-2004, 23:22
The PCI card could be part in and the part with the light is in but the important part that connects you might just need pushing into place more.

I had one changed and the light worked but the card didn't they even tried it in a pc at the shop and it wouldn't allow the pc to connect into the network.
Running out of any other ideas I havent used XP for 2 years perhaps time to have a refresher course on it :DWell, my CM recognises the card because the ethernet light on my CM is on (well flashing anyway).
Would it be doing this if my card is partly connected?

Kneebs
21-08-2004, 23:24
Well, my CM recognises the card because the ethernet light on my CM is on (well flashing anyway).

Is it detected by the bios at bootup as i described earlier ?

Florence
21-08-2004, 23:29
Well, my CM recognises the card because the ethernet light on my CM is on (well flashing anyway).
My cable modem flashes when no pc are switched on. Check what kneebs has suggested

Is there not a new hardware indicator icon in your system tray ? Or in device manager, is it not listed under unknown devices? (I'm not even sure if XP has unknown devices in device manager though !)

When your PC first boots up, does it list what devices are in your PCI slots ? You'll have to be quick to catch it as its only on for about a second - press the pause / break key to keep it on the screen. If it does, is it listed in there ?

Gaz22
22-08-2004, 00:06
My cable modem flashes when no pc are switched on. Check what kneebs has suggested

Do I have to go into the bios?

Florence
22-08-2004, 00:12
follow kneebs instructions go into the bios just see if its recognised you don't have to change anything.
Have you never been in the bios before?

You can check in the bios and quit without changing anything so your PC will still work as it is now.

Gaz22
22-08-2004, 00:15
follow kneebs instructions go into the bios just see if its recognised you don't have to change anything.
Have you never been in the bios before?

You can check in the bios and quit without changing anything so your PC will still work as it is now.

I've been in the bios before.

So, if I don't see the card there...does that mean its not pushed in properly?

Kneebs
22-08-2004, 00:15
Do I have to go into the bios?

No, It won't tell you in the bios - generally, just after you hear a beep when its first booting up, some bios' tell you whats in each PCI slot, on mine its under where it tells me what parallel /serial ports are there. Its literally only on for a second or two, so you'll have to be quick with the pause / break key (which pauses the bootup - pressing any key resumes it)

MovedGoalPosts
22-08-2004, 00:27
Can you post the make / model of your puter and the network card? May help someone troubleshoot.

The network card will often light up if it is powered, but doesn't necessarily mean that it's at home.

If the BOIS stuff don't work consider the following. Remove the card and reboot the PC without it, into safe mode (press F8 during the bootup process before the windows logos start to appear but after the intial BOIS memory checks come up). Now you can look at network connnections from control panel, and device manager and ensure all traces of your USB connection have gone, and also delete anything loaded by your new network card, including any programs autoloaded from an install CD (Add/Remove software)

Swithc off the PC. Refit the card, in a different PCI slot. Boot up the PC normally. Ideally the card will be plug and play and windows will give messages of new hardware. If not load the install CD, and any install software. Reboot the PC normally may then trigger an autodetect of the card. Alternatively go back into network connections and or My computer > hardware > Device Manager and see what's there to load the drivers from the install CD.

As a last resort, you could try getting updated drivers from the Web. Most manufacturer's have web sites you can donwload from

Good luck :)

Gaz22
22-08-2004, 00:38
Can you post the make / model of your puter and the network card? May help someone troubleshoot.

Computer: Packard Bell i-Media 5067
Network card: PCL network interface card.

Florence
22-08-2004, 00:43
Try the card in a different slot and see if the pc reconises new hardware when you reboot up. It should...

MovedGoalPosts
22-08-2004, 00:47
Computer: Packard Bell i-Media 5067
Network card: PCL network interface card.

Who makes this? Do you have a model number ?

PCL is a connection type frequently used with printers. PCI, is the type of slot inside the PC that you often place internal cards into. Are you sure this is an ethernet card for general networking, i.e. it used an RJ45 type connection with CAT5 type cable into a modem, hub, or other PC, not into a printer like a HP laserjet?

Gaz22
22-08-2004, 01:43
Who makes this? Do you have a model number ?

PCL is a connection type frequently used with printers. PCI, is the type of slot inside the PC that you often place internal cards into. Are you sure this is an ethernet card for general networking, i.e. it used an RJ45 type connection with CAT5 type cable into a modem, hub, or other PC, not into a printer like a HP laserjet?

PCL IS the brand of the card.

And it is RJ45.

Florence
22-08-2004, 12:25
Have you got this sorted now Gaz22?

If the card isn't showing to the pc at all.

1. the PCI slot is faulty on the motherboard.
2. the NIC card is faulty?
3 the card isn't in the PCI slot properly

If the card is pushed home correctly in a working PCI slot the motherboard has to reconise new hardware and this sets up the hardware wizard to install drivers.

I changed from USB to ethernet without removing the USB drivers just incase I had problems.
When I first sawtched on the card wasn't recognised so we pushed it further in and it worked you need to be sure its in the slot level or one side ends up further in than the other.

Please let us know how you have got on with this problem.

Gaz22
22-08-2004, 18:04

If the card isn't showing to the pc at all.

1. the PCI slot is faulty on the motherboard.
2. the NIC card is faulty?
3 the card isn't in the PCI slot properly

If the card is pushed home correctly in a working PCI slot the motherboard has to reconise new hardware and this sets up the hardware wizard to install drivers.

I changed from USB to ethernet without removing the USB drivers just incase I had problems.
When I first sawtched on the card wasn't recognised so we pushed it further in and it worked you need to be sure its in the slot level or one side ends up further in than the other.

Please let us know how you have got on with this problem.
The card isn't recognised, so I guess I must not have pushed it in hard enough. I'll try again when I get a chance.

Thanks for everyone's help.:)

Florence
22-08-2004, 18:27
Ok will keep checking back to see how you do.

If when you check its pushed firmly home and it is still not recognised move it to another pci slot and retry just incase the one its in is faulty.
Good luck

Florence
23-08-2004, 14:49
Do I have to arrange to come and sort this out 50P a mile both ways Gazz. :D :Sprint:

Gaz22
23-08-2004, 15:45
Do I have to arrange to come and sort this out 50P a mile both ways Gazz. :D :Sprint:

Lol.

My graphics card is in the way and I'm wondering: If I were to take out my graphics card then fix up my network card, then put my graphics card in the exact same slot, would my pc count my graphics card as a new piece of hardware?

Web-Junkie
23-08-2004, 15:59
Lol.

My graphics card is in the way and I'm wondering: If I were to take out my graphics card then fix up my network card, then put my graphics card in the exact same slot, would my pc count my graphics card as a new piece of hardware?
No, but make sure the power is off when you do it :) the PC won't know any different! How many PCI slots do you have? and can the card, as suggested, be moved to a slot with more free space? Are there any jumpers on the NIC card, maybe an enable/disable plug and play jumper? or a configuration utility to configure the card by software?

Florence
23-08-2004, 16:27
Lol.

No as it already has the drivers just don't touch anything that can short it out with your bodys static electricity. :)

Thought my last post would get an answer.. Have you a link to an example of your NIC card?

Gaz22
24-08-2004, 07:59
This is my card: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0770881921.109333068 5@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeadcmgdeflhdcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&sku=777117

Kneebs
24-08-2004, 09:36
That link doesn't work for me, however, if you'v tried the card in another slot and its still the same,another thing that might be worth checking is a setting in the bios - for telling it that you have a Plug 'N' Play aware operating system - it will probably be shown as PNP aware OS or similar. Make sure this is set to yes.

Florence
24-08-2004, 09:49
I found the card by doing a search on pcworld.

Now try another PCI slot with it.

How many PCI slots have you on the motherboard?
How many are in use?
Whats in them can you swap two around so you try the card in a PCI slot that you already know is working?

Gaz22
24-08-2004, 12:07
I found the card by doing a search on pcworld.

Now try another PCI slot with it.

How many PCI slots have you on the motherboard?
How many are in use?
Whats in them can you swap two around so you try the card in a PCI slot that you already know is working?

I've finally got the card in and working. It turned out that my (larger) graphics card was covering the network card, so I couldn't see what I was doing. I took out my graphics card, then fixed the network card, then put my graphics card in again.

The ethernet connection seems to work now.

Thanks everyone. :)

Kneebs
24-08-2004, 12:14
Glad to see you got it sorted in the end :)

Florence
24-08-2004, 12:40
I've finally got the card in and working. It turned out that my (larger) graphics card was covering the network card, so I couldn't see what I was doing. I took out my graphics card, then fixed the network card, then put my graphics card in again.

The ethernet connection seems to work now.

Thanks everyone. :)

Thats good glad its all sorted and I didn't have to drive down @ 50p a mile to sort it :rofl: :rofl: