PDA

View Full Version : new ntl modem/routers

Chrysalis
20-08-2004, 16:52
any news on these yet, last I heard a few months back some lucky trialists were trialling the new modem's which also function as routers, I am curious if it is succesful or not and if these are gonna be free or cost money.

20-08-2004, 18:04
heard a rumour that the new modems are being rolled out next month...the new ambits have the wireless capapbilities.... although only a rumour i'm afraid.
would imagine its part of the BB package for new customers... where existing customers stand with an upgrade to the new modem i have no ideas....

Rone
20-08-2004, 18:08
I assume all existing customers will get shafted as usual. :td:

Florence
22-08-2004, 19:38
I trialed these modems and I have been told they wasn't being used there is a new ambit but its not the one trialed.

I have now returned mine but sorry can't say much more than that. They was smart and did have wireless aswell as a router but some showed problems others worked with no problems.
Be patient I am sure they will get it right in the end best to find out now if they have problems than when they are in service.

Ignition
22-08-2004, 23:07
I assume all existing customers will get shafted as usual. :td:

Well hardly, you guys aren't given new cable modems for fun that doesn't really make sense. You weren't given home 100s to replace Terayons / Motorolas when they were released, nor 120s and 200s to replace earlier Ambits unless a legitimate reason.

However if new customers are given the option to pay for more capable modems I'd have thought existing ones would be offered the option to upgrade their cable modems as well.

Paul
22-08-2004, 23:45
heard a rumour that the new modems are being rolled out next month...the new ambits have the wireless capapbilities.... although only a rumour i'm afraid.
would imagine its part of the BB package for new customers... where existing customers stand with an upgrade to the new modem i have no ideas....Rumour is almost certainly all it is. Many of us trialled the new Ambit modems earlier in the year (the wireless/router ones) - but that trial has finished now and I don't think the modems we tested will ever be rolled out. There is, I believe, going to be another trial of new modems later in the year - and I would expect them to have similar wireless and router functionallity.

I assume all existing customers will get shafted as usual. :td:Um, shafted in what way exactly :confused:

dave.m
23-08-2004, 10:29
I assume all existing customers will get shafted as usual. :td::banghead:

Think about what you've just said, now slap your forehead.

Do you really expect to receive new hardware FOC everytime an updated model comes along ?

If you do, you're living in a dream world, nothing is free.

DrAwesome
23-08-2004, 12:56
Do you really expect to receive new hardware FOC everytime an updated model comes along ?

If you do, you're living in a dream world, nothing is free.

I wish everything was free, then the only thing people would complain about is boredom :rofl:

Sorry to go OT but couldnt resist :)

andrew_wallasey
23-08-2004, 13:01
When I first got ADSL about 4 n 1/2 years ago something like that we never got a new modem off BT everytime one came along :( nor will NTL do the same imagine the cost to them.

Rone
23-08-2004, 13:03
Well it would be nice if existing customers got a discount, or will these just go free to new customers then?
Or are they supposed to be purchased as a totally separate item?

Florence
23-08-2004, 13:19
I am not sure the final details hadn't been arranged when they decided they wasn't going out but a newer one might be later on or perhaps next year. I suggested I would be willing to pay extra to have one with the capabilities that that one offered firewall, wireless, router, parental controls, ability to ban websites if not suitable to certain IPs. The list was endless... All it needed was a print server adding and it was all any person needed for their home network in one neat little package. :) I am really glad I had the chance to test it and await its successor. Would say it was not really for people who didn't know what they was doing where wireless was concerned..