PDA

View Full Version : Improving PS2 picture

Damien
20-08-2004, 15:44
Is it true that i can use better wires which makes the picture quility a lot better? Can someone show me the better wires?

Chris
20-08-2004, 15:48
Is it true that i can use better wires which makes the picture quility a lot better? Can someone show me the better wires?

It's true for any piece of electronics, the better the quality of the wires, the better your sound/picture. Better quality connectors make a difference too (such as gold-plated). Of course, the equipment has to be high quality to start with, cr@p in, cr@p out and all that.

Having said that, I don't know where you would get a higher quality cable for a PS2 .. IIRC it has a non-standard connector on the end that plugs into the box. If it were just a standard a/v cable I'd say go to Maplin or somewhere like that.

paulyoung666
20-08-2004, 15:58
then again ......... , unless you have a super duper telly i reckon you would be hard pushed to tell the difference :erm:

Damien
20-08-2004, 16:00
I have a one year old sliver screen 20inch flat screen sony

SMHarman
20-08-2004, 16:30
How is your PS2 currently connected? I don't own a PS2 so this is from general TV type knowledge.

PS1 came supplied with a coax connection, the worst way of sending the signal. The TV signal from the box is encoded like a transmission picture and decoded by the TV.

PS2 looks like it only sends AV signals so this does not occur, however you can improve on the basic Red, White and Yellow cable outputs.

http://shop.uk.playstation.com/sony/category.asp?category%5Fname=PlayStation+2+Accesso ries&catalog%5Fname=SCEE

If your TV takes an RGB signal, then this will be your best bet

http://shop.uk.playstation.com/sony/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=SCEE&category%5Fname=PlayStation+2+Accessories&product%5Fid=9108603

Euro AV Cable
The Euro AV Cable connects the console to a television for sharper picture and colour. Uses enhanced picture qualities of RGB signal transmission. Compatible with virtually all televisions that has a 21-pin RGB SCART connection.

alternatly the component AV cable or the SVideo cable will both improve the picture to the same or lesser extent (just you will need to work out how to hook the component video one up).

Also the quality of the cable will make a difference, but what is more important is sending a pure signal and not messing with it between the PS2s graphics output and the TVs input. The RGB will be the best method of achiving that. As the cable runs are short, the quality of the wires in the cable is less important.

Damien
20-08-2004, 16:56
That euro AV is what i was looking for :D but are you saying that plugging in the cable is worse than just attaching the red, white and yellow wires into the red, white and yellow wires into the red, white and yellow inputs on my screen is best?

DrAwesome
20-08-2004, 17:08
If you want to improve the PS2 picture quality you can buy additional hardware such as this (http://www.cheatheaven.co.uk/reviews/hardware/reviewshw_videogameenhancer.htm)

gary_580
20-08-2004, 17:08
PS2 doesnt use the scart fully as its a composite scart. Better to uses the SVideo cable i think.

Also worth getting half decent cables although it does make a difference you wont notice it as much as the switch from a coax to scart is noticeable

Damien
20-08-2004, 17:13
arrrrhhhhhhhh

my poor inferior brain

*Damien jumps outta window. Sadly, he forgets that he is on first floor

SMHarman
20-08-2004, 17:31
That euro AV is what i was looking for :D but are you saying that plugging in the cable is worse than just attaching the red, white and yellow wires into the red, white and yellow wires into the red, white and yellow inputs on my screen is best?
RGB is better than composite (yellow cable) the red and white are left and right audio. Though although the sony site says it is RGB other posters say otherwise and SVideo is better, not being a PS2 owner I defer to them.
Picture quality will improve from
Coax > Composite (red, white, yellow) > SVideo (the 4pin plug) > RGB (red, green, blue, plus audio)

DeadKenny
07-09-2004, 16:50
Worth pointing out that S-Video can also be fed down a SCART cable (as can composite).

Basically to get the best quality out of a PS2 with a regular TV you want an RGB SCART (not just any old SCART) and a TV that handles RGB input (most do these days but usually only on one socket).

You need to buy an RGB SCART for the PS2. It's probably best to get an official Sony one as I've found some of the unofficial ones don't have all the wires connected and this can cause problems on TVs that don't have manual RGB switching (i.e. most of them) and you can end up with composite only despite using an RGB SCART.

Forget the yellow lead. That's composite and sucks.

You'll need to change the settings on the PS2 also (boot the PS2 without a disc in and you can change it in the configuration).

Bare in mind that on UK PS2s if you play a DVD on it through RGB SCART it will come out green (this is a deliberate form of anti-piracy, i.e. stop you being able to record off the best quality picture). No problem with games though.

You can get around the 'green' RGB problem with various PS2 discs that fix it (DVD RegionX etc). Many of these discs will also convert your PS2 to a multi-region DVD player.

Failing that, get an S-Video cable for the PS2 and use that (you'll need a 4-pin S-Video socket on your TV or you can get an S-Video->SCART adapter. Your TV needs to handle S-Video though).

ntl7
08-09-2004, 15:33
It's worth pointing out that The xbox does not have green problem with their advanced scart(RGB) lead.

simpsonsFAN
08-09-2004, 22:24
reading this thread gave me a headache, lol, why did such a simple question have to be made all complicated!,

<quote>Is it true that i can use better wires which makes the picture quility a lot better? Can someone show me the better wires?</quote>

yes, rgb scart lead will give best quality, although...

<quote>I have a one year old sliver screen 20inch flat screen sony</quote>

Does it have a pc monitor port?, because you can get a VGA cable for the ps2, that will give better than tv quality pictures!.

-Chris

Electrolyte01
08-09-2004, 23:16
I don't see any difference between my silver and gold cable for my PS2. My PS1 seems to give a better picture than my PS2 any way.