PDA

View Full Version : Job interview - yay

peterska2
05-08-2003, 16:22
Well people after being out of work for a while I have been out and had a job interview today for a position on the CSD in a well known supermarket.

I think it's gone well.

If I get the CSD job then I get nice fixed hours Monday to Friday although I could end up in the Cafe or on the Deli.

The only thing is that they have to contact my previous employer for a reference and I'm not sure about that bit :(

Do you think that ntl will give me a good reference and will they get it to my potential emploiyer before Friday because they want me to start on Saturday subject to references.

Ramrod
05-08-2003, 16:32
Good luck!:)

Stuart
05-08-2003, 16:39
Yeah, good luck KA!

peterska2
05-08-2003, 16:40
fingers are crossed.

I really do need this job.

Just worrying about the references side thats all

orangebird
05-08-2003, 16:41
Originally posted by peterska2
Well people after being out of work for a while I have been out and had a job interview today for a position on the CSD in a well known supermarket.

I think it's gone well.

If I get the CSD job then I get nice fixed hours Monday to Friday although I could end up in the Cafe or on the Deli.

The only thing is that they have to contact my previous employer for a reference and I'm not sure about that bit :(

Do you think that ntl will give me a good reference and will they get it to my potential emploiyer before Friday because they want me to start on Saturday subject to references.

Hi KA,

First of all, good luck!

With regard to the references, ntl can't give you a bad reference, but they can decline to give a reference at all.

:)

peterska2
05-08-2003, 16:43
Originally posted by orangebird
Hi KA,

First of all, good luck!

With regard to the references, ntl can't give you a bad reference, but they can decline to give a reference at all.

:)

Thats the only worry. Well apart from the fact that I can't provide them with a phone number either coz I never got any new ones after the fire. :eek: Is gonna be cutting it close isn't it?

grum1978
05-08-2003, 16:49
Good luck KA let us know how you get on :D

peterska2
05-08-2003, 16:49
Originally posted by grum1978
Good luck KA let us know how you get on :D

I will

SMHarman
05-08-2003, 17:45
Good / Bad refererences dont really exist anymore due to the risk of litigation.

A reference normally supports your claim that you worked for someone and thats it.

It will also cover any disciplinary that is still current.

Any more and without justification you can sue.

If you were really bad then they can decline.

You should be able to start at the other job on probation subject to references anyway.

Pick up the phone and call NTL HR they should be able to get this done by Friday. Its the bread and butter of an HR department.

Quality as an ee is done by telephone reference these days. Nothing on paper for anyone to sue over.

Congrats.

peterska2
05-08-2003, 18:03
So if it is all done by phone and I haven't been able to provide any phone numbers do you think they will bother?

Steve H
05-08-2003, 18:09
Cant you get a reference from a school teacher/college teacher?.. They usually write them well, and are considered professional people...

peterska2
05-08-2003, 18:12
I'm getting a reference from Barclays Bank and have also given a personal reference for one of my old youth leaders who I have now known for approx 14 years.