PDA

View Full Version : Off Again...

Graham
19-08-2004, 21:46
I'm away from Friday to Monday, going to the Discworld Convention in Hinkley, so behave[1] whilst I'm away :)

[1] Behave BETTER then! :D

paulyoung666
19-08-2004, 22:38
oh i am sure there will be something to get your teeth into when you get back ;) :D :D :D :D

Ramrod
19-08-2004, 23:05
I'm away from Friday to Monday, going to the Discworld Convention in Hinkley, so behave[1] whilst I'm away :)
Nerd! :D

<seething with jealousy> :p:

Richard M
19-08-2004, 23:13
Sounds better than a Star Trek convo.
I quite like his books, I have about 15 of 'em.

Maggy
20-08-2004, 01:41
My daughter has a friend who has met and chatted to TP three times but isn't particularly a fan.As you can guess my daughter who is an avid TP fan is rather incensed that this friend is not even aware of her luck.

I tell her to cultivate this friend as she might just be along when she gets lucky again. ;)

Anyway enjoy your errr...convention.Are you going as a troll or a barbarian?Wizard or golem?Have fun!!!

Incog. :D

Russ
20-08-2004, 01:47
So what is Discworld all about?

Maggy
20-08-2004, 01:50

Yawn! There is always one. :D

I'm not telling you.You'll have to read one for yourself. :p:

Russ
20-08-2004, 01:51
Heck, I'm not THAT interested....! :D

greencreeper
20-08-2004, 04:43

It's a fantasy world much like dungeons and dragons only exponentially weirder and more complex. I've read one or two of the books many years ago, but I've never seen the attraction :erm:

BBKing
20-08-2004, 07:23
It's a comedy series that happens to be set in a fantasy environment, much as the Hitchikers books are comedies set in interstellar space. DW actually tends towards satire on occasions (Small Gods for instance is a satire on organised religion).

The first DW novel is actually a sustained parody of several well known fantasy writers. It rather took off after that.

TP once walked in on a friend of mine when she had her breasts out while changing in a theatre dressing room (she was in a Discworld play).

Graham
24-08-2004, 21:43
Well, I'm back and I had a great time.

In response to recent comments:

Nerd! :D

<seething with jealousy> :p:

:PP:

Amongst other things it features trolls... ;)

I've read one or two of the books many years ago, but I've never seen the attraction

Well the first DW book The Colour of Magic was written 21 years ago (this was the "21st Birthday Con" and it's changed a lot over that time.

Some of the latest ones, eg Monstrous Regiment, Night Watch are a lot darker and less parodies but more Swiftian Satires.

Also there are ones like The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and its follow-up A Hat Full of Sky which feature Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegle, whilst technically for children, are immensely readable by adults too. At the Con Terry read excerpts from the latest in that series and it has a lot about taking personal responsibility for the decisions you make in life, but written in a way where you're not being beaten over the head by a "message".

So, may I suggest you try his works again and you may be pleasantly suprised.

greencreeper
24-08-2004, 22:00
Well the first DW book The Colour of Magic was written 21 years ago (this was the "21st Birthday Con" and it's changed a lot over that time.

Some of the latest ones, eg Monstrous Regiment, Night Watch are a lot darker and less parodies but more Swiftian Satires.

Also there are ones like The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and its follow-up A Hat Full of Sky which feature Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegle, whilst technically for children, are immensely readable by adults too. At the Con Terry read excerpts from the latest in that series and it has a lot about taking personal responsibility for the decisions you make in life, but written in a way where you're not being beaten over the head by a "message".

So, may I suggest you try his works again and you may be pleasantly suprised.

Night Watch rings bells.

The only thing I remember is the Assassins Guild and blowfish poison. I think I read two or three books. These days I find it hard to enjoy reading - just doesn't do it for me anymore. I can't slip away.

Scrubbs
24-08-2004, 22:21
The quote that always makes me laugh is

There's a guy works down the chip shop...I'd swear he's Elvish

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: