PDA

View Full Version : Warning unpatched PCs compromised in 20 minutes

goldoni
19-08-2004, 08:35
This is worrying, a report released 17th Aug on Zdnet: donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t connect that new PC to the Internet before taking security precautions, researchers at the Internet Storm Centre warned Tuesday. link (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5313402.html)

Scarlett
19-08-2004, 10:27
This is worrying, a report released 17th Aug on Zdnet: don’t connect that new PC to the Internet before taking security precautions, researchers at the Internet Storm Centre warned Tuesday. link (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5313402.html)

Last time I connected an unprotected PC to my BB connection at home, it was a matter of seconds rather than 20 minutes before it got Nimda all over it. This time round I had the firewall and anti virus install files saved from the last re-install...

Alan Waddington
19-08-2004, 10:59
This is why a router is such a great idea. It features Network Address Translation which acts like a hardware firewall & keeps out viruses which spread via Microsoft networking. If you don't have one then remove 'File & Printer Sharing' from your network connections before connecting the computer to the net. Enabling the Firewall in XP is also a good thing. In either case, the first thing to do on connecting is to head over to windows update & download all those security patches. Bring a book to read while you're waiting.

hawkseye000
19-08-2004, 11:47
yep, when we got this pc, i plugged the ethernet cable in, ran the ntl cd, and just as we were half way through registering, we got the blaster worm... that wasn't fun i can tell you...

Russ
19-08-2004, 11:55
Bring a book to read while you're waiting.

Never a truer word spoken - my last reformat saw me downloading 64Mb of updates, and that's not including the huge SP2 :disturbd:

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2004, 12:01
Never a truer word spoken - my last reformat saw me downloading 64Mb of updates, and that's not including the huge SP2 :disturbd:
This is just general advice for everyone.....

If your xp cd permits - create a slipstreamed sp2 cd for the next time you have to reinstall.....

Ok so you still have to install some updates - but not the whole lot

Electrolyte01
19-08-2004, 14:19
Thank god this notebook's firewall is protecting my other computer :erm:

goldoni
19-08-2004, 15:19
This is just general advice for everyone.....If your xp cd permits - create a slipstreamed sp2 cd for the next time you have to reinstall.....
Can you expand on that one about a slipstreamed sp2 CD, is it possible to save the updates to a folder so you can archive them to CD for the next time?

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2004, 15:22
Can you expand on that one about a slipstreamed sp2 CD, is it possible to save the updates to a folder so you can archive them to CD for the next time?
Have a look here...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626

Stuart
19-08-2004, 19:04
You can. Go to Windows Update, select "Administrator Options" then "Windows Update Catalogue. You need to know which updates you want though, it doesn't automatically find the missing ones.

greencreeper
20-08-2004, 05:21
It's not unpatched PCs - it's unpatched PCs with Windows operating systems greater than Windows 98 SE, particularly Windows XP. I can connect a Windows 98 SE PC to the Internet without problems.

XP for you - and still you love it :no:

Bifta
20-08-2004, 08:53

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1626

Bifta
20-08-2004, 08:56
It's not unpatched PCs - it's unpatched PCs with Windows operating systems greater than Windows 98 SE, particularly Windows XP. I can connect a Windows 98 SE PC to the Internet without problems.

XP for you - and still you love it :no:

So if everyone decided to abandon all common sense and switch to *nix then people who've been exploiting windows loopholes will start targetting the more popular OS, i.e. linux, then in a few years time you'll be going "Linux for you - and still you love it :no: "

goldoni
20-08-2004, 09:24
You can. Go to Windows Update, select "Administrator Options" then "Windows Update Catalogue. You need to know which updates you want though, it doesn't automatically find the missing ones.
In my wisdom (which is not a lot) I purchased a Packard Bell laptop and the OS is pre loaded with no Administrator options, the section is there but you need a password which neither Packard Bell or PC World will divulge, which Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m a little hacked off with because if the OS goes A-wall I am unable to repair as it asks for the password so the only options are format C or set-back. So if anyone knows of a workaround on this one???

Stuart
20-08-2004, 09:27
First, I should say that ALL operating systems are vulnerable to attack. Anyone who say's their OS is invulnerable is likely to get hacked.

Microsoft have made some stupid decisions in the past which have helped attackers, but they do seem to be taking security more seriously now. Especially with XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003. One particular problem is that in the past, the default install of Windows has turned everything on (I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to disable IIS while installing Windows Server 2000). Server 2K3 disables virtually everything, and asks the Administrator to turn on what they need. Far better idea. XPSP2 also turns on Automatic Updates by default, and nags you every 20 minutes if you disable it. Another good idea.

As Bifta says (above), I suspect the main reason that Windows is the most compromised operating system is not because it is inherantly any less secure than any other OS, but simply because it is the most popular.

Still, one thing that buys more time for patching. Install a good firewall.

Stuart
20-08-2004, 09:34
In my wisdom (which is not a lot) I purchased a Packard Bell laptop and the OS is pre loaded with no Administrator options, the section is there but you need a password which neither Packard Bell or PC World will divulge, which Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m a little hacked off with because if the OS goes A-wall I am unable to repair as it asks for the password so the only options are format C or set-back. So if anyone knows of a workaround on this one???
Does Windows Update work (either selecting "Start", "Programs", "Windows Update" or typing http://www.windowsupdate.com in the address bar in IE)?

If you look at the Windows Update website, the Administrator Options should be listed in the bar on the left of the window.

goldoni
21-08-2004, 10:36
Thanks for the info. I have now got a CD full of updates, never knew you could do that. Anybody out there in CF land knows how I can get into the Administrator account on my computer ????

Ramrod
21-08-2004, 11:22
Does Windows Update work (either selecting "Start", "Programs", "Windows Update" or typing http://www.windowsupdate.com in the address bar in IE)?.
ermmmmm.....why is microsoft now asking me to install and run 'windows update'?.............it's never done that before :erm:

dilli-theclaw
21-08-2004, 11:23
ermmmmm.....why is microsoft now asking me to install and run 'windows update'?.............it's never done that before :erm:
Were you on update v4? The new one is v5 - so it could just be asking you to update.

greencreeper
21-08-2004, 18:55
As Bifta says (above), I suspect the main reason that Windows is the most compromised operating system is not because it is inherantly any less secure than any other OS, but simply because it is the most popular.

That's illogical though - it doesn't follow that a popular OS is more likely to be hacked. The reason Windows is a target is (a) it's full of holes; and (b) everybody (apart from CF posters ;)) hates Microsoft - it embodies everything that is bad about capitalism. Are Apache webservers constantly being hacked? Is Apache full of security holes? Nope - but it is the most popular webserver.

With open source everybody can see the source, see the bugs, and fix the bugs - no reliance on a company to be honest and to provide a patch. It's a better system and hopefully, one day, all software will be open source and companies will make their money out of supporting the software.

Stuart
21-08-2004, 20:05
That's illogical though - it doesn't follow that a popular OS is more likely to be hacked. The reason Windows is a target is (a) it's full of holes; and (b) everybody (apart from CF posters ;)) hates Microsoft - it embodies everything that is bad about capitalism. Are Apache webservers constantly being hacked?
I don't doubt that the fact that Windows has security holes (and, sorry to say this, it's not the only OS that does) and the fact that people hate Microsoft has persuaded some hackers to turn their attention to it, but the fact is that hackers (particularly script kiddies) are more likely to go for the more popular OS (whatever it happens to be at the time). This is simply because any exploits for it are more likely to publicised. I personally think the same would apply if Linux were the predominant O/S.

Shaun
21-08-2004, 22:35
I've just tried to create a slipstream disk but the update file in SP2 doesn't seem to like the /s suffix!

:confused: