PDA

View Full Version : Very very slow web browsing in Northants?

tomaw
18-08-2004, 22:20
As the topic says is anyone else experiencing the same?

MatTman
19-08-2004, 05:24
im down in surrey and im experiencing a Big slowdown At the moment, maybe NTL are undergoing more Upgrade work and is starting to Cause problems?

maybe DNS failure is imminant?

Ohhh noooez!! somebody gone br0ke teh Interne :Yikes:

banjo
19-08-2004, 07:48
Realy slow yesterday, like dial up on a bad hair day :)

tomaw
20-08-2004, 08:25
Does anyone know when this issue will be resolved? I'm not able to get through to technical support...

Chris W
20-08-2004, 11:29
what issue are you referring to? we need some more information first-

have a read of JANs post here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15305

tomaw
20-08-2004, 12:28
OK, the issue has changed now in that the cable modem lights Sync and Ready do not light and the modem continually reboots.
After spending half hour in the queue I've given up on that and hope that it will be resolved before I get home from work.

Specifically this is in the NN9 postcode region and through a SACM.

Reddevil63
20-08-2004, 14:24
OK, the issue has changed now in that the cable modem lights Sync and Ready do not light and the modem continually reboots.
After spending half hour in the queue I've given up on that and hope that it will be resolved before I get home from work.

I have a SACM also, Surfboard 4100, and like you at the moment, well this past week, my modem continually reboots.

This is in the Swindon SN3 area. I got hold of TS Monday gone and said there was a very weak power signal from the line but the modem was ok.

He noted that there was a similar report earlier in the day and just to wait and see if everything comes right. Well it hasn't and now I can't get through at all to TS.

The Status Service page says sweet nothing but before being put on hold phoning TS there is a message saying there is connection problems in the SN2 area but nothing for the SN3.

Getting really fed up with this now, NTL are continually always having problems with either connections or email, it ain't good enough!!! :mad: .....makes me want to jump ship and go ADSL!!!

tomaw
20-08-2004, 21:19

OK, turns out that problem was due to my account being put on hold because the account at my parents house (diconnected 18 months) ago hasn't been paid for. All sorted with a phone call, but the speed is still very slow, especially at peak times.
Another connection at a friends around the corner is fine.

Might call the technical support people back late this evening, hopefully I'll be able to get through again then.

tomaw
21-08-2004, 15:07
OK, I have narrowed this problem down to the local transparent proxy that I'm using here, as forcing another one solves to problem. Guess I'll leave it as it is now and turn off the proxy setting in a few days and see if the problem persists.

I did try calling technical support, but was met with a very unhelpful gentlemen who simply told me that my cable modem's MAC doesn't exist on the NTL network and I must be reading it incorrectly.

If anyone here can generate a service request for the relevant transparent proxy it would be appreciated, PM me if you require more infromation.

Cheers,
Tom

Tuftus
24-08-2004, 13:47
Tom,

Having probs myself in NN10 with SACM, lights blinking and rebooting...

Been on to Tech Support today and there is a message that says customers in NN9 / NN10 may not be able to connect, theyare aware and working on it...

My guess is that thunderstorm yesterday pooched it.

Hope this helps.

Tuftus

DrToxic
24-08-2004, 15:30
I think the problem is affecting a larger area than just NN9 and NN10 - I'm in NN2 and I've been having problems on and off all day. I was without a connection for a few hours up until a few minutes ago. The TV has also been really choppy and while I was without bb, I lost all my channels too. Exactly the same thing happened last week to my bb and TV, so the two problems must be related.

Tuftus
24-08-2004, 16:21
Are any of the kind helpful NTL Techs that cruise around here able to shed any light on the current probs in NN9 / NN10?

tomaw
25-08-2004, 18:36
Should be back and working now. Sorry I couldn't update before, had no access :)

It seems that the thunder bounced up one of the local "green boxes" in Irthlingborough and was generating enough noise to confuse a lot of the local area. This was replaced today and all is fine. Also, the slow proxy appears to have been fixed so all is good again.