PDA

View Full Version : Laying floor tiles under door frames

Mike
18-08-2004, 21:15
Hi all

I am just about to lay a tiled floor in the hall away in the next couple of days.

Rather than cutting tiles around complicated door frames I thought about cutting the bottom of the door frame to slide the tile under and fix like that.

Using a saw maybe a bit difficult and I wonder if they is a special tool to do this ????

Any ideas

thanks

MB

Scrubbs
18-08-2004, 21:19
You would be better getting a tile cutter cos' you won't be able to slide them under everything

One of them there dremel thingys are good for cutting close to the floor or a sharp chisel;)

Paul K
18-08-2004, 21:20
You used to be able to buy an attachment that could be used on a power tool but to be honest it isn't hard to do with a good handsaw :)

gary_580
18-08-2004, 21:22
Ive done this in the past when laying a wood floor, its actually pretty easy. Use a fine toothed tenon saw, Fine toothed to stop it ripping the wood and a tenon saw as this is a lot stiffer saw and will help you get a straighter cut.

If your only talking about cutting the architrave that is attached to the inner door frame then a VERY sharp chisel will be easier.

Paul K
18-08-2004, 21:25
Ive done this in the past when laying a wood floor, its actually pretty easy. Use a fine toothed tenon saw, Fine toothed to stop it ripping the wood and a tenon saw as this is a lot stiffer saw and will help you get a straighter cut.

If your only talking about cutting the architrave that is attached to the inner door frame then a VERY sharp chisel will be easier.
Totally agreed, if necessary you can even use a thin piece of timber to lay the saw on as a guide to keep the cut straight but you would be suprised how easy it is to do and how quick it can be too.

Ramrod
18-08-2004, 21:30
Or go to B&Q and buy a 'thingy' (whose name escapes me :banghead: ) that molds itself perfectly to the doorframe --perfectly reproducing the shape of the frame which you can then use as a template to cut the shape of the frame out of the tile..whew :D
.......B&Q sell them, I've seen them there, I just can't remember what they are called :disturbd: ......................so you don't need to go and deface the house--just get one of them...thingys.

gary_580
18-08-2004, 21:34
Or go to B&Q and buy a 'thingy' (whose name escapes me :banghead: ) that molds itself perfectly to the doorframe --perfectly reproducing the shape of the frame which you can then use as a template to cut the shape of the frame out of the tile..whew :D
.......B&Q sell them, I've seen them there, I just can't remember what they are called :disturbd: ......................so you don't need to go and deface the house--just get one of them...thingys.

Profile Gauge

Ramrod
18-08-2004, 23:30
Profile GaugeThank you, thank you, thank you :nworthy:

Here you go Mike, get one of these (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13731) :)

iron25
18-08-2004, 23:34
Find yourself a reasonably flexible saw, put one of the tiles near the door frame and use it as a guide for sawing the bottom of the door frame. That way the tile should slide perfectly under the door frame.

MovedGoalPosts
19-08-2004, 01:26
You should be able to buy a tile saw, from any decent DIY store. One I got a few years ago was nothing flashy, just a plastic mould shaped like a hacksaw, into which a file like blade fitted.

I think you'd have trouble accurately cutting any tile, without breaking it, sueing a chisel or standard saw, the saw's teeth just wont have the right profile.

In the old days though you could get a sort of nibbler tool that you could use to simply snap small bits of tile off. I saw my dad using one and every other tile he used it on broke. Not a good idea.

gary_580
19-08-2004, 09:08
Here you go Mike, get one of these (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13731) :) ;)

Ive got one of those, the exact thing. Never used it, yours for a fiver.

When i did a wood floor i took all the skirting board off and trimmed the architrave. Made a much better job.

SMHarman
19-08-2004, 09:41
Hi all

I am just about to lay a tiled floor in the hall away in the next couple of days.
<snip>
Think about renting a wet tile cutter, makes a much better cleaner cut with less effort, less broken tiles etc.

gary_580
19-08-2004, 10:49
Think about renting a wet tile cutter, makes a much better cleaner cut with less effort, less broken tiles etc.

Ive got one of those as well!! I recently used it for tiling a bathroom and loaned it out for someone to tile a floor. Not one single wasted tile!!

Its very good advice to use one of these. Much faster, cleaner and better end result.

Want to rent one???