PDA

View Full Version : loopholes found in sp2

kronas
18-08-2004, 21:04
the introduction of windows xp service pack 2 has had security compaines testing the software for any bugs that they encounter.

two bugs have already been found:

With Service Pack 2, Microsoft introduces a new security feature which warns users before executing files that originate from an untrusted location (zone) such as the Internet.

There are two flaws in the implementation of this feature: a cmd issue and the caching of ZoneIDs in Windows Explorer. The Windows command shell cmd ignores zone information and starts executables without warnings. Virus authors could use this to spread viruses despite the new security features of SP2.

Windows Explorer does not update zone information properly when files are overwritten. So it can be tricked to execute files from the internet without warning.

source: heise.com

http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/50051

bopdude
18-08-2004, 21:11
No big surprise there then, everytime they think they have it cracked there's something found that they did not take into consideration, not that i'm pointing finger :)

Paul
18-08-2004, 22:39
You have to wonder why these were not found in the beta :confused:

nffc
18-08-2004, 22:47
:rolleyes: - on the first ****ing day as well

Ramrod
18-08-2004, 23:37
No big surprise really :)

Steve H
18-08-2004, 23:49
Can't expect em to be perfect really though.

I guess these security companies DID find the loopholes when it was in Beta, yet didn't decide to show it until it was actually released - causes more harm to M$ then.

peacedude2k4
25-08-2004, 11:58
is there a piece of software out which aint got problems which could enable it to be used agaisnt the pc its based on?

I mean we blame microcrap for alot of there mistakes because it is there software which RUNS our computers mainly so problems are major with there stuff, but how much stuff such as Office, works games etc even little utitlites we like to use such as adaware etc which all use internet connection how many of them are holed to hell and could permit a hacker.

Perhaps it aint all microsofts fault :rolleyes: :confused: