PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I get NTL Broadband ?

efossa
18-08-2004, 10:46
I'm currently on NTL dialup (for the last 2.5 years) and want to switch to broadband. Unfortunatley it's not available in my area. If I have an NTL phone line so why can't I get broadband? How much of the NTL network is BB enabled?

I've made enquries about this with NTL but they give no reason or any date when it might be available. Its pretty frustrating, all the letters I get in the post from NTL are full of BB promotions and info, and the NTL homepage is also full of BB services. Thy seem to forget they still have customers on dialup.

Chris
18-08-2004, 10:49
:welcome: to Cable Forum!

It depends, partly, on where you are located. Not south London, by any chance? NTL's network in that part of the world is famously ropey.

efossa
18-08-2004, 10:55
No, im near Peterborough (PE7), sorry I should have said so in my orginal message. :)

Chris W
18-08-2004, 10:56
You may be able to get ntlfreedom ADSL, have a look at their site (www.ntlfreedom.com) to check if it is available in your area.

MB

Ignition
18-08-2004, 12:03
Not sure how much of network is fully broadband enabled and how much is analogue / 1-way only. A lot more than Telewest thanks largely to the inheriting of the Videotron CL areas (although in their defense Telewest inherited the Eurobell areas which weren't exactly great but managed to overbuild them ok, anyway...).
Work has been ongoing in London to upgrade network literally an area at a time for 2-way services, and is being done in other areas where profitable to do so. I'm not sure if there are any plans to overbuild / upgrade your area though I'm afraid.
Your local customer services may be able to assist, I'd strongly recommend not taking what is said straight away as gospel though as the chances of a CSR just being able to come up with this info without asking around somewhat are pretty much non-existent.

Main areas of nastiness at the moment are South and West London and Southampton, those are the major areas with no 2-way services.

Neil
18-08-2004, 12:08
I'm currently on NTL dialup (for the last 2.5 years) and want to switch to broadband. Unfortunatley it's not available in my area. If I have an NTL phone line so why can't I get broadband? How much of the NTL network is BB enabled?

I've made enquries about this with NTL but they give no reason or any date when it might be available. Its pretty frustrating, all the letters I get in the post from NTL are full of BB promotions and info, and the NTL homepage is also full of BB services. Thy seem to forget they still have customers on dialup.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Chris W
18-08-2004, 12:12

Post number 3 ;)

Neil
18-08-2004, 12:23
Post number 3 ;)

:dunce: :blush:

efossa
18-08-2004, 12:43