PDA

View Full Version : write to us with your "salary expectations"

heyyo
17-08-2004, 21:11
Hi guys,
I am sending a few cvs and covering letters off to some companies, however some companies are asking my salary expectations on the advert. How can i best address this issue on my covering letter...

so far I have come up with....

"My salary expectations are £13,000 which I hope will increase as I progress in your company"

I am not sure if this sounds right....can anyone help (what you would write?)

Thank u in advance

MetaWraith
17-08-2004, 21:15
Generally it's best not to mention salary expectations, let prospective employers broach that subject first. Hopefully it will mean they ARE interested in you, and if you've done your research correctly you'll know the going rate for similar positions.

heyyo
17-08-2004, 21:19
Hi, the advert is asking for my 'salary expectations'. are you suggesting I ignore it?

I would not write salary expectations if they did not ask for it in the advert, but in this case they are.

Russ
17-08-2004, 21:20
"My salary expectations are £13,000 which I hope will increase as I progress in your company"

I wouldn't use the word 'hope' - that to me sounds too defeatist. Perhaps something like

"..which I trust will increase as I progress within your company, reflecting the skills and abilities I will bring to this position"

...would sound better?

If they've specifically asked for your expectations then that gives you the perogative to go ahead and discuss it. After all, you're answering something they've put to you. In your interview you'd never dream of not giving an answer to something they'd ask you, would you?

Remember you're selling yourself here (in the non-rentboy sense of course - unless you're applying to be a rentboy) and you need to let your prospective boss know that his company simply cannot afford to not employ you.

Maggy
17-08-2004, 21:20
Hi, the advert is asking for my 'salary expectations'. are you suggesting I ignore it?

I would not write salary expectations if they did not ask for it in the advert, but in this case they are.

Well that's one way to weed out applications. :erm:

heyyo
17-08-2004, 21:28
Great thanks for all your help guys...especially Russ D

greencreeper
17-08-2004, 21:29
It's not just the role - it's also the area. I can ask for around £12,000 around here - any higher and I've no chance.

I wouldn't sound inflexible - come across as willing to negotiate. This is especially important if you set a figure too high. You need to be clear about how much you need to cover bills, travel, clothing... - this is the minimum you should ask for. Anything above that figure is a reflection of how much you're worth.

greencreeper
17-08-2004, 21:33
Remember you're selling yourself here (in the non-rentboy sense of course - unless of course you're applying to be a rentboy) and you need to let your prospective boss know that his company simply cannot afford to not employ you.

It's fine line you tread though - between selling yourself effectively, and coming across as arrogant and conceited.

I don't write covering letters - I hate them with a passion. I really cannot see what use they are. The standard cheesy lines about how brilliant you are, the company would be foolish not to employ you, and you really want to work for that particular company because <insert lies here>.

Russ
17-08-2004, 21:39
It's fine line you tread though - between selling yourself effectively, and coming across as arrogant and conceited.

Good point, it's easy to come across as the latter.

MetaWraith
17-08-2004, 21:41
A well drafted, and hand written covering letter could show application, and dedication to the task at hand, as well as accuracy.

homealone
17-08-2004, 22:21
I don't write covering letters - I hate them with a passion. I really cannot see what use they are. The standard cheesy lines about how brilliant you are, the company would be foolish not to employ you, and you really want to work for that particular company because <insert lies here>.

- so you want to stay unemployed on a point of principle :erm:

sorry to quote a clichÃÃâ€*’©, but 'get with the game' - you don't have to swallow, to sell yourself, but you do have to make an effort ;)

- sorry if that sounds harsh, but if I were an employer & specified a covering letter, I would reject all applications which didn't include one....

greencreeper
17-08-2004, 22:30
- so you want to stay unemployed on a point of principle :erm:

No - I still fill in application forms (lots of them) both online and paper, and send my CV places. I just avoid the covering letter ones - I can't believe anyone reads them and takes them seriously :no:

you don't have to swallow, to sell yourself, but you do have to make an effort ;)

You're not referring to Russ' post, are you? :naughty: I doubt I'd get much - far too fussy for a start :D

Flubflow
17-08-2004, 22:51
Hi guys,
I am sending a few cvs and covering letters off to some companies, however some companies are asking my salary expectations on the advert. How can i best address this issue on my covering letter...

so far I have come up with....

I am not sure if this sounds right....can anyone help (what you would write?)

Thank u in advance

I don't know what the job is but you could perhaps put, "my salary expectations are average for the industry and are negotiable".

homealone
17-08-2004, 23:07
No - I still fill in application forms (lots of them) both online and paper, and send my CV places. I just avoid the covering letter ones - I can't believe anyone reads them and takes them seriously :no:

yes they do - hand written, legible & well spelt - it's a competition ffs :D

You're not referring to Russ' post, are you? :naughty: I doubt I'd get much - far too fussy for a start :D

no

danielf
17-08-2004, 23:17
yes they do - hand written, legible & well spelt - it's a competition ffs :D

In my case hand written and legible are mutually exclusive, so I print mine :)

Cover letters don't have to be about glorifying yourself. A well-written letter that shows you have given some serious thought about what they might be after can make a huge difference. But then again, this probably also depends on the type of job you're applying for.

Back on-topic: rather then mentioning a salary expectation, another option would be to mention current salary (if applicable). That way you sort of leave it up to the employer to guess what the expectations are.

Charlie_Bubble
17-08-2004, 23:33
I would put, "I would be looking for a starting salary in the region of £13,000". Be realistic about your salary aim and don't mention anything in the letter about future raises. If you are interested in that kind of information ask a question about it at the interview, but make sure it's not your only one or they will think you are only interested in the money. You may only be interested in the money, but it helps to try not to appear to be so mercenary! :)

Writing a covering letter shows that you have read the advert, know what the job is about and that you are not just carpet-bombing every job ad in the paper. It shows you have taken time and effort to think about your application. If possible, tailor your CV for the job. If you have relevant experience, make it stand out a bit more from your other experience by elaborating a little. Remember that an employer gets a whole load of applications on his/her desk and if yours can stand out in any way they will put it to one side. I know as I have had to recruit people before and when you have a pile of CVs you look for ones that are concise, tidy and mention things you are looking for. If you can put a quick thing in the letter about why you want the job and why you think you are the person to do it, then it will stand out from someone who has just put a vanilla CV in an envelope and crossed their fingers.

Good luck.

greencreeper
18-08-2004, 00:39
Dear Sir/Madam

I am desperate. I saw the job ad in the paper and thought I would apply. Not too worried about the salary just so long as you pay me at least minimum wage. I am not particularly interested in your company - I am certain it is like any other - but the job vacancy is one that I know I can do. Not that it is likely that I will ever prove this, because on paper I look a useless idiot. The skills and qualities I will bring to the job should I lie and grovel sufficiently at interview, or demonstrate first rate ball balancing skills on the assessment day, are patently obvious if you take the time to read the CV I have spent weeks perfecting instead of giving it a quick glance.

I look forward to hearing from you - well, I live in hope.

Yours sincerely,

greencreeper

Russ
18-08-2004, 00:41
So how long have you been flipping burgers for then? ;) :D

greencreeper
18-08-2004, 00:43
So how long have you been flipping burgers for then? ;) :D

:D

It's honest - that's the point I'm making. The whole recruitment thing is a game of lies and spin - all the players know it's a game yet they keep on playing :spin:

Maggy
18-08-2004, 10:41
Well I'm sorry for anyone having to try and sell themselves as a possible worker.IT can be quite an ego draining experience.I'm having to listen to my daughter trying to find a job and now a new home as her landlords has decided to not to renew her lease on her flat because they require it for family coming from India.

Every time she gets an interview she is hopeful,bouyed up.Every time she fails an interview she is flat,depressed and I'm having to listen,support whilst not sounding critical in anyway.

My point is that you have to try and maintain a level of self esteem or you may well give off the wrong signals without meaning to.Too depressed and you may come across as desperate.However you also have to come across as confident but not arrogant.

I go hot and cold at the thought of having to apply for a job just thinking about it.Apart from moving house,death,divorce I can't think of a more draining experience than to be out of work and desperate for a job. :(

So to ALL of you who have been without work for some time and are still looking I send you my good wishes and hopes for a speedy resolution to your situation. :D

Actually it might be nice for those who have after a longish period searching for a job and having found one to start a thread about their experiences so that those who find themseves in the same predicament might find some help and support. :)

Incog. :)