PDA

View Full Version : PS2 - Can't get PS2 online gaming working!!

CableForumUser
17-08-2004, 18:20
Why??????? I connected a "Network Gaming Hook-up Cable" ethernet cable to my NTL cable modem from my Network Adapter's ethernet port. I had all the settings correct from NTL including the DNS servers but still it doesnt work, doesnt connect. How do I get it working? The phonelines said they havent tested PS2 but it should work since it works in England.

BTW Im in Ireland.

Tezcatlipoca
17-08-2004, 20:57
What are the PS2's network settings? IP, DNS, etc?

What error are you getting?

Have you subscribed to ntl's PS2/XBox online gaming service? This gives you 2 IP addresses - one for the PC, & one for the console. You can either connect the PC to the USB port on the modem, & the console to the ethernet port, _or_ you can plug both into a hub & plug the hub into the modem's ethernet port. If you have this, but it doesn't work, then maybe you haven't actually been assigned a 2nd IP (this does happen sometimes).

If you don't have ntl's PS2 service [& you do *not* actually need it at all, by the way], are you trying to use the PC & the PS2 online at the same time? If you are using a normal single IP broadband connection, you can only connect one device at a time, & use just one interface on the modem [USB or ethernet - not both]. Or it could be that the settings in the PS2's adapter are wrong.

You don't say if you are or not, but...To use more than one device, you need to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or get a cheap hardware router (e.g. Linksys BEFSR41) [or get the ntl console service...but that costs more in the long run]

CableForumUser
17-08-2004, 22:02
What are the PS2's network settings? IP, DNS, etc?

What error are you getting?

Im getting error: "Connection to the network cannot be established. Please try again."

Have you subscribed to ntl's PS2/XBox online gaming service? This gives you 2 IP addresses - one for the PC, & one for the console. You can either connect the PC to the USB port on the modem, & the console to the ethernet port, _or_ you can plug both into a hub & plug the hub into the modem's ethernet port. If you have this, but it doesn't work, then maybe you haven't actually been assigned a 2nd IP (this does happen sometimes).

Never heard of this, does it work in Republic of Ireland? Where is it? Also, how DO I make it so that only one(either the PS2 or PC) is using the internet? I found no info on that. Do you disconnect the USB PC cable? Because if so that didnt work, but I havent tried this service you are talkgin about.

If you don't have ntl's PS2 service [& you do *not* actually need it at all, by the way], are you trying to use the PC & the PS2 online at the same time? If you are using a normal single IP broadband connection, you can only connect one device at a time, & use just one interface on the modem [USB or ethernet - not both]. Or it could be that the settings in the PS2's adapter are wrong.
First of all the settings are perfect, from "winipcfg", and I rang up NTL about the DNS servers. I can only connect to one device at a time, this is OK by me. But I am not trying to not do this, I just don't know how NOT to do this.

Lastly thank you very much very helpful post.

CableForumUser
17-08-2004, 22:07
Oh wait I saw that on ntl.com sorry but another extra $40 per month no I won't pay that. What's the best FREE way?

CableForumUser
17-08-2004, 22:35
If I installed a "router" would it definately solve the problem? I dont want to pay but if its the only way to solve the problem i will.

How DO I configure my modem so that the PC doesnt use it and the PS2 does??

Tezcatlipoca
18-08-2004, 00:33
I'll try & answer all of that in one post... ;) :)

ntl's console service

Heh, it isn't quite as expensive as you think. I think there's a set-up fee (that may be the £40 you're thinking of), plus the monthly subscription is either 2 or 3 quid on top of your broadband subscription.

But...yep, it still isn't worth it. Cheaper & easier to either connect directly, or use ICS, or use a router.

PS2 settings

DNS: OK, you have the DNS servers.

IP: Have you set the PS2 network adapter to obtain an IP address automatically, or have you manually specified an IP? ntl broadband uses dynamic IPs (assigned by DHCP), so you must have it set to obtain an IP automatically, rather than manually specify an IP.

Connection

To get it so that the PC doesn't use the connection, & the PS2 does, you need to only have one of them physically connected to the modem at a time.

e.g. if you use the PS2, you need that connected to the modem's ethernet port, while the PC is completely disconnected from the modem.

e.g. if you use the PC, you need that connected to the modem's ethernet port or USB port, while the PS2 is completely disconnected from the modem.

When you switch between connecting the PC & the PS2 to the modem, you *must* reboot the modem (inbetween unplugging the 1st device from the modem & plugging the 2nd device into the modem) - *especially* if you use USB for the PC instead of ethernet.

Have a read of these for more info:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html#swap

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Sometimes you may need to actually leave the modem off for 5 minutes or more before turning it back on & then plugging the other device in.

It would simplify things if you got a network card (ethernet card) for the PC, & used that to connect the PC to the modem instead of USB. It gives a better & more stable connection, plus makes it easier to swap between devices.

Alternatives to using a direct connection:

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - The modem connects to the PC (using ethernet or USB), & the PC connects to the PS2 (using ethernet - and using a crossover cable not a patch cable). ICS is then set-up (e.g. using XP's networking wizard), & the connection is then shared between both the PC & PS2. Advantages: Cheap, & able to use both online at the same time. Disadvantage: The PC must be turned on to use the PS2 online.

Router - Yep, a router would solve your problem. The router would connect to the modem using ethernet, while the PC & the PS2 each connect to the router (use patch cables not crossover cables to connect the PS2 & PC to the router). The router shares the connection, enabling you to use the PS2 & PC online at the same time. Costs a bit more than ICS (as you need more than just a network card for the PC - you need to buy a router), but works very well.

A good (& cheap) router is the Linksys BEFSR41. It costs just over 30 pounds (inc P&P) from Amazon.co.uk

CableForumUser
18-08-2004, 01:05
I actually was using the "no" option for the automatic-ip question and put in my ip details. I turned that off, then unplugged my modem at the mains, disconnected the cables, waited 6 minutes then plugged in the cables except for the USB cable. I hoped it would work this time but it still didn't, same error message.

Tezcatlipoca
18-08-2004, 01:17
Hmm. Try again, but remove the DNS info too. Leave it *all* on auto (IP, DNS, etc).

What other options does the PS2 network adapter's settings give?

Also...

Sometimes the modem will have problems switching from using USB to ethernet, even if you reboot it. [another reason why it's better to use ethernet, not USB]

I've seen similar problems with some people trying to connect an XBox, when they've previously connected their PC via USB.

Have a read through the whole of this thread...not a PS2, but similar issue perhaps: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12501

Oh, & what make/model is your cable modem? And what kind of cable are you using from the PS2 to the modem? Straight through (patch) or crossover?

CableForumUser
18-08-2004, 01:39
Hmm. Try again, but remove the DNS info too. Leave it *all* on auto (IP, DNS, etc).

I did that already. It didnt work.

What other options does the PS2 network adapter's settings give?

It gave "do you login with a username and password". I dont so I left that auto. I think something else I have to check it in morning.

Also...

Sometimes the modem will have problems switching from using USB to ethernet, even if you reboot it. [another reason why it's better to use ethernet, not USB]

I've seen similar problems with some people trying to connect an XBox, when they've previously connected their PC via USB.

Have a read through the whole of this thread...not a PS2, but similar issue perhaps: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=12501

Oh, & what make/model is your cable modem? And what kind of cable are you using from the PS2 to the modem? Straight through (patch) or crossover?
My modem is "ntl:home 200". The cable is a 10m "network gaming hook-up cable" cable from Game store(website at game.net) it's a "straight through network cable, fitted with rj45 connecters".

martinell
18-08-2004, 01:40
never used a ps2 but wont the MAC addy of the network card/usb adaptor cause the registration server to have an eppy when you change? the pc b/band connection has to register the mac addy of the pc to ntls servers thats why most of us use the clone mac address feature of a router, lets you register the connection on the pc, swap in the router, clone the mac addy and away you go.
but like i say, i've never used a ps2,on or offline :), so i dont have a clue about them unfortunately

Tezcatlipoca
18-08-2004, 01:52
It gave "do you login with a username and password". I dont so I left that auto. I think something else I have to check it in morning.

My modem is "ntl:home 200". The cable is a 10m "network gaming hook-up cable" cable from Game store(website at game.net) it's a "straight through network cable, fitted with rj45 connecters".

Username & password - turn that off. ntl cable broadband doesn't use a username/password - unlike ADSL broadband (so if there's any options for pppoe or pppoa turn them off too). I don't have an online PS2, so don't know what the exact options in it are myself.

Modem - Ah, OK. A new one. I thought maybe if it was an older one, the ethernet port may have been knackered.

Cable - Should be fine. I think you need straight through to connect to the modem.

Maybe try leaving the modem off overnight....There are other suggestions in the thread I linked to.

never used a ps2 but wont the MAC addy of the network card/usb adaptor cause the registration server to have an eppy when you change? the pc b/band connection has to register the mac addy of the pc to ntls servers thats why most of us use the clone mac address feature of a router, lets you register the connection on the pc, swap in the router, clone the mac addy and away you go.
but like i say, i've never used a ps2,on or offline :), so i dont have a clue about them unfortunately

You're partly right :)

If you use an STB for broadband, then you do need to register the MAC of each device you connect to it. [or register one, & clone it onto anything else you then decide to connect later on]

However, if you use a standalone cable modem (SACM), there is no registration required like with an STB connection if you change device. All you need to do when you swap devices is reboot the modem. But yes, cloning the MAC can make things easier, as it saves the reboot & simplifies swapping a bit.

See:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html#swap

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Whereas STBs...http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg

CableForumUser
18-08-2004, 12:46
That's what I meant by auto, the username/PW WAS turned off. I tried the overnight thing didnt work still.

Thank you for your help but I think now Ive done everything right it must be some fault or something. Unfortunately, NTL cant give any support they havent tested it. I guess Im stuck without any online play, wow funny how you pay about €45 incl. the ethernet cable for something that doesnt work.

Neil
18-08-2004, 12:53
Moved to PS2 Discussion Forum.

dragon
20-08-2004, 20:03
all i did is pop in the central station disc and select ntl as the isp

if ntl is not an option blueyonder usally works

otherwise u need to select the connection type as LAN

and dhcp to auto should do it.

make sure PPOE is NOT selected as thats for ADSL onl

if not and you use USB for modem > pc and have windows xp and have a spare network port on your pc

you could use windows ICS and a bit of cat5 crossover (v cheap on ebay)

connect the crossover from teh ps2 to the pc

go into network connections on the pc (its in control panel)
right click the modems connection (usally local area connection 2)
goto properites

goto the sharing tab

tick the boxes

click ok