PDA

View Full Version : backstabbing

leeswin
04-08-2003, 18:56
ok lets see whee this goes, and if it offends anyone i apollogise however im angry and it dosent effect me (much).

my brother worked for a fairly well known company (not gonna say who but yourd know em trust me) as a temp, hes been there for 3 months and gets on well with the guy that runs the whole fiasco.

at no point had theye ever showed any sign of unhappyness then they train someone else up (without elling him) and tell him today he wont be there tomrrow and without giving any further information the guy goes home! :mad: he does not even know who, how, what where or why and the ordasity of the bloke he then makes him stay to time!

i mean come on any one else got stories like this?

paulyoung666
04-08-2003, 19:03
happens all the time mate , the problem is when you are temp you cannon fodder , dont suppose the other bloke was his mate by any chance do you , from experience that is quite often the case , if you could find out you might be able to go higher up the chain of command and see if you could do anything , but somehow i doubt it , sorry :(

danielf
04-08-2003, 19:21
I'm afraid that is exactly why companies use temps. They are more expensive per hour than when you hirse someone youself, but you can sack them on the spot without giving a reason...

I can understand your anger, but yes, it happens all the time.

peterska2
04-08-2003, 19:59
Aye it happens all the time. Happened to me just over 2 weeks ago but I was even told via a voicemail left on my mobile phone :afire: No reason was given and I had to ring them up to try and get another position to which I was told that they would not be finding me one. Still not explanation given :afire: Then I got an email from them offering me a postition. I replied straight away and then recieved a call saying that they were not putting me forward for it. They mess you around something rotten :afire: :afire: :afire:

leeswin
04-08-2003, 20:06
well all i can say is its taking the saying "its only business" a little to far, they really dont care about employees do they.

kronas
04-08-2003, 20:20
temporary positions are that temp so you cant really moan when they intend to let you go although i would expect them to give you some notice but if they dont need you on yer bike just look for something perm if your that bothered about getting a job or talk to them about it prior to accepting a job ie what timeframe will the job last etc

ntlrebel
04-08-2003, 20:28
If you are employed as a temp for longer than 12 weeks, you can argue that there is a full time posistion available and asked to taken on full time. This means holiday entitlement, sickness benefit , higher employer contributions towards tax & insurance. All in all more money for the employer to pay out.

Simple solution is to have a constant turn over of temps every 12 weeks. Sucks don't it.:(

Steve H
04-08-2003, 20:42
Im a temp at the moment, due to going college after the summer.. Thing is, thats exactly what it is "temp..

danielf
04-08-2003, 20:52
After someone's worked three month, the decent thing to do for the business is to give some notice. Unfortunately, a lot of businesses are not decent. They are within their rights though...

kronas
04-08-2003, 20:54
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
Im a temp at the moment, due to going college after the summer.. Thing is, thats exactly what it is "temp..

yep thats what i meant

Originally posted by danielf
After someone's worked three month, the decent thing to do for the business is to give some notice. Unfortunately, a lot of businesses are not decent. They are within their rights though...

its the way it is not all businesses look after there employees its all about profit margins though i agree notice SHOULD have been given........

Escapee
04-08-2003, 21:40
ntlrebel saidIf you are employed as a temp for longer than 12 weeks, you can argue that there is a full time posistion available and asked to taken on full time.

We have tried that, but when they are getting over £30 an hour as temps they are not even interested in a £30K a year job.

These guys are running their own limited companies and making full use of the tax perks/fiddles available to them, they are paying hardly any tax!

And no we can't find suitable permanent people, not for the want of trying though:spin:

danielf
04-08-2003, 21:45
Originally posted by Escapee
ntlrebel said

We have tried that, but when they are getting over £30 an hour as temps they are not even interested in a £30K a year job.

These guys are running their own limited companies and making full use of the tax perks/fiddles available to them, they are paying hardly any tax!

And no we can't find suitable permanent people, not for the want of trying though:spin:

What temps get £30/h????

Russ
04-08-2003, 21:53
Nurses for example....

Stuart
04-08-2003, 21:54
Originally posted by leeswin
ok lets see whee this goes, and if it offends anyone i apollogise however im angry and it dosent effect me (much).

my brother worked for a fairly well known company (not gonna say who but yourd know em trust me) as a temp, hes been there for 3 months and gets on well with the guy that runs the whole fiasco.

at no point had theye ever showed any sign of unhappyness then they train someone else up (without elling him) and tell him today he wont be there tomrrow and without giving any further information the guy goes home! :mad: he does not even know who, how, what where or why and the ordasity of the bloke he then makes him stay to time!

i mean come on any one else got stories like this?

Was he temping for an agency? If so, the agencies have been known to charge a hefty "introduction fee" for any company that takes on one of their temps. I don't know what it is now, but when I was temping (about 10 years ago) Brook Street charged 18% of the first year's salary.

I temped @ British Rail, and was told I would have been given the job if I weren't a temp, because of this reason.

I was actually given notice that I would be kicked out, but only because I had been asked to train my replacement...

danielf
04-08-2003, 22:01
Originally posted by Russ D
Nurses for example....

Then why doesn't ewverybody go into nursing?

Escapee
04-08-2003, 22:01
danielf saidWhat temps get £30/h????

Not all temps are in low paid jobs, temporary contractors with the right skills can get paid lots of dosh.

There is a company down on the south coast now looking for poeple experienced in satellite comms uplink equipment, they have won a big contract and have been looking for months to fill posts. They are paying between £30-40 an hour with temp contracts ranging from 3-12 months, I am doing exactly the same type of work for a company permanently, I have been saying no o the agencies because I dont want to spend all week working away from home anymore.

These hourly rates are being paid because this country has a severe lack of skilled people in certain technologies. It makes you wonder though when some companies say to engineers "You know where the door is if you don't like it":rolleyes:

kronas
04-08-2003, 22:04
Then why doesn't ewverybody go into nursing?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

WTF are you sure russ :confused:

Tricky
04-08-2003, 22:05
What temps get £30/h????

I've paid temps £30/h+ for periods of over 24 months - now that's temping...:shrug:

EDIT: Should have said "Contractors"

danielf
04-08-2003, 22:16
Originally posted by Tricky

EDIT: Should have said "Contractors"

Yes, I think calling these people temps is somewhat misleading (or confusing really) ;)

kink
04-08-2003, 22:22
Originally posted by kronas
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

WTF are you sure russ :confused:

Russ is right.
I know that agency nurses in London get paid a minimum of at least £20 an hour and depending on their grade and speciality, up to circa £35 an hour.
Do not confuse this with the average wage of a recently qualified nurse in the NHS... it is considerably less. Because of this.... more and more nurses are leaving the NHS to do agency work or are at least doing it to supplement the wage they already earn.
This means that the NHS service is unable to fill empty nursing posts with full-time permanent staff.. and are having to take on more agency staff who are more expensive to make ends meet.
A vicious circle....

kronas
04-08-2003, 22:26
Originally posted by kink
Russ is right.
I know that agency nurses in London get paid a minimum of at least £20 an hour and depending on their grade and speciality, up to circa £35 an hour.
Do not confuse this with the average wage of a recently qualified nurse in the NHS... it is considerably less. Because of this.... more and more nurses are leaving the NHS to do agency work or are at least doing it to supplement the wage they already earn.
This means that the NHS service is unable to fill empty nursing posts with full-time permanent staff.. and are having to take on more agency staff who are more expensive to make ends meet.
A vicious circle....

ah i see i thought he meant all nurses but i thought the higher grade more experianced nurses would get that amount anyway

but the agency nurses pay is that high too :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Stuart
04-08-2003, 22:38
Originally posted by kink
Russ is right.
A vicious circle....

Wish I got paid that much :(

It is the case in most industries that if you are a contractor (or temp), you get paid a lot more.. You lose job security (in theory) though.

Actually, it is ironic, that when I did some invoice clearing for the Catering Department of our local hospital, we were getting rid of kitchen staff "to save money" and then having to take on temps at twice (or three times) the cost to cover the workload. Never did understand the logic behind that..

As to nurses pay, well, it can be good. I have a friend who is a nurse, and is earning more than I do for less than half the hours a week I do (I do around 40, she does around 15-20). I am in the wrong job...